Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Just for Fun

More
10 years 5 months ago #16498 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Just for Fun
Actually not as big as it looks at 195' long and 40' in beam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #16503 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Just for Fun
Here you go Fred! I got my fire power now! now I have to build another ship to fit it on. one Z scale Ship's Cannon :woohoo:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, JMCmodels

More
10 years 5 months ago #16504 by JMCmodels
Replied by JMCmodels on topic Just for Fun
Cool. Well done, Walt. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #16514 by southernnscale
Here Fred! what happened! no fun no more or are you working to Hard this place is dead most of the time I know I'm boring at times! Here is a funny one I think I might sink my own ship if I fire this one! I still have to work on the rigging I got some 1:200 scale block but are they small need a magnifier to see them I think I found Black Bread ship in 1:200 scale

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 4 months ago #16529 by southernnscale
Fred this is one I have that I'm waiting to Pass at shapeways in Z it a 14' RHIB!

Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago #16531 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
Nice details Walt!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #16540 by Fred
Walt,--Cannon Table--

Aye- Those were the good old days of gaping and blundering.
Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #16541 by southernnscale
Fred! I think being a sailor and the days of sail would have been my time. I enjoy looking at old ships. when I was in England I went aboard the HMS victory, What a ship!! 109 guns and a capstan you wouldn't believe! men used to bring the anchor up with polls stuck in the side to push it around. And the anchor line. She was a big one all the rigging. even in todays Navy we still made rope mates to catch the shells coming out o the 3" 50's messing up the deck. I made several Fenders using manila line. We also still rig the Block and Tackles for the yard and stay booms on the LST's. J davits! Plus all the knots use in rigging high lines for ship replenishment at sea! I think that would have been some fun day as long as you stayed alive. That is a really nice table. I did have a helm wheel that use to sit up against the wall and would reach the ceiling I was going to make a table with a glass top but when I got divorced it disapeared. Now, not much to do about that but it would have been nice. thank again for sharing your photo's one of these days I'll have to come up and see all your stuff.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #16545 by southernnscale
Just for fun I placed two cannon on a tug And Captain Kidd (FRED) in gray saying fire!!! :woohoo:
Tug power!! :evil: tug done by Joao. Two cannon done by Walt

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, JMCmodels

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #16548 by southernnscale
Fred, What's your thought about this pusher boat 135' long in Z scale! Your the expert you and Peter.
So have I miss anything here! some of the item look a little big but they have to be to pass inspection!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMCmodels

More
10 years 4 months ago #16549 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Just for Fun
Some quick observations, since you asked.

Very few have gunwhales on the hull with bitts mounted on top. They are basically slabs, with bitts perhaps at the corners, and cleats where the other bitts are here.

I've rarely seen stairways at the front, and usually the deck width there is quite narrow, so that the superstructure at the front is nearly vertical.

Never seen portholes--windows are square on all levels.

01 superstructure usually extends nearly to the rear. On a boat this size, the 01 superstructure is about 20' back from the bow.

Pilot house should be raised from 3' to 8'. Your pilot's eyes are only 24' or so above water. They are usually at least 30'.

Don't know about those winches.

How wide is this boat? May be too narrow. At this length they are wider than standard barges.

My 145' Jeffboat in Z will be out in a few months.

More
10 years 4 months ago #16551 by southernnscale
Here it IS in black and white!

Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #16553 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Just for Fun
It's even marked for the correct scale! ;) :cheer:

More
10 years 4 months ago #16555 by Fred
Many ships/boats are built to basic plans.. such as a T-2 tanker, or a Liberty or Victory Ship or oil rig workboats. Then the company can change the hatch plan, design of stack, ground tackle- etc. Even some ships/boats vary to some degree from the lead ship to the latest launch...States Lines would be different than Farrell Lines-- Same hull- different configuration- as to areas served and cargoes generated. Even standard Navy ships vary as new tech comes on line during a series of building a specific class. Same with trains-- AZL makes subtle differences in their models to be company specific..And way back in the 50's-(1950's) I can remember the slight differences in the American and Canadian Fords.....
If we modeled some of the strange rock formations in the Southwest- some observers would think it was not "prototypical"- Nevah Hoppen- what was he thinking??!! So I will steer clear of ship specific detail comments Walt. (Cop Out) :laugh: except to ask- Where is the BELL and SIDELIGHTS?? :evil:
Looks Good!

More
10 years 4 months ago #16556 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Just for Fun
www.towboatgallery.com/The_Towboat_Gallery.php?pic=2096&tnc=1&mnu=#MAINIMAGE

The above link may help you. There are three basic design criteria for these boats, those that work the lower Mississippi with large tows, those that work the Ohio and TVA system with smaller tows and those that work the Missouri. The lower Mississippi boats tend to be big and wide with little free board but a built up stern because of the complicated steering arrangements we need some head room to work on the steering gear without opening the deck above. I spent 24 years working as steering gear technician for a Canadian company that makes steering gear used by some of the operators. So I have been on many boats. for me there are three classes Mississippi Ohio and shunter. Mississippi are 4 decks, Ohio is usually 3 decks but some short range are only two decks and shunters are short boats 2 decks high, but there are some that only a single deck and they are are used to make up the big rafts for the pusher and to move barges around in the yard areas and at major locks where the bigger tows have to be broken up to go through the locks like at Alton Illinois. For a look at a big company with lots of variety take a look at at Marquette transportation, they have some of the biggest long haul boats. Towboat bollards are deck mounted if present but majority are cleats and are deck mounted as the strain of tow wires is great. Under way no one walks on the main deck, wires part frequently and they fly around plus on choppy water it can be quite wet there. most new boats have a cat walk from top of push knees to top of first deck for safer access to barges for crew.

here is another good link www.google.ca/search?q=mississippi+tow+boats&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ctCQUtvpOKqF2AXBtYG4Bg&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=992#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=wFlVjGkztANJ5M%3A%3BKWh4xl9g-eT2KM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fnavcal.com%252Fnavcal%252FCityOfTroy2Lables.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fnavcal.com%252Fnavcal%252Ftowboats.htm%3B840%3B501

cheerz Garth

cheerz Garth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 4 months ago #16557 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Just for Fun
Walt, you are supposed to push the ships, not sink them.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #16559 by southernnscale
Loren! B) I figure since I don't have the place yet to float them yet! :woohoo: I might as well sink them! :evil: Layout is slow building and have no where to put them. but it all in fun I just blame it all on Fred that little turkey talking sailor! I tried to float this one in the pond!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMCmodels

More
10 years 4 months ago #16562 by JMCmodels
Replied by JMCmodels on topic Just for Fun
Wow :cheer: Looking great in Navy/Army livery, Walt! ;)

Joao

More
10 years 4 months ago #16563 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Just for Fun
Walt, I agree, after carefully considering all options, possibilities, and likely culprits, Fred's name is the only one I can think of to put the blame squarely on. Me thinks Fred has swallowed way too much salt water in his days at sea. It has not only rusted out his innards, but caused his brains to become soggy :o)

More
10 years 4 months ago #16613 by Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: rvn2001, southernnscale

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds