Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Just for Fun

More
10 years 6 months ago #16305 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Just for Fun
No! not at this time Pete! Every thing is in storage and there's a lot of stuff I would have to go thru to find them. They have been in storage since I left Florida! The same as all my "N" scale stuff. But thanks for the comments. I would like to do some ships with all the rigging.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16307 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Just for Fun
This is the 1947 497' C3 freighter Beavercove.

I have this in production in N scale, and it is a bear to produce, so I think I'll produce the eight ships and go on to something more modern, and less complicated!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, garthah, southernnscale, tealplanes

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16308 by Pete Nolan
Where the West Harbor turns 90 degrees into the South Harbor is the Rio de Janeiro, a 19576 fast refrigerated freighter on the Brazil-London route. The backdrop is a pan of the harbor in Homer, Alaska. The two buildings near the bow were my first scratchbuilt buildings, from 1972! The two tugs are from Burtindustries, probably 10 years ago, and really aren't bad for $35 each.

The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16309 by southernnscale
Great shots Pete! I like these ship's I never got into the ship's that much even when I was in the Navy! I have always like the old sailing ships with all the rigging. I learned a lot of the Knots when I was in As a Boatswain's Mate I worked with line a lot! I was station on a LST and we had the Yard and stay rigging boom aft of the super structure one boom on each side fwd of the flight deck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah

More
10 years 6 months ago #16310 by Pete Nolan
Here's the Coast Guard Station at the beginning of the South Harbor. The Active-class in the foreground has been replaced by a much more accurate production model. The Achusnet (167) is only a maybe for production as I already produce the same size (210') Reliance-class, with a completely different hull. All the buildings are scratch, except the lighthouse.

The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah

More
10 years 6 months ago #16311 by Pete Nolan
Did I mention I scratch build bridges as well as ships. The South Harbor.

The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah, southernnscale, tealplanes

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16312 by southernnscale
More great Shots a lot of thing to look at! this is great! :woohoo: Between you and Fred we have a complete fleet of ships you could get together and have a show all of your own with as much stuff you both have. I enjoy this kind of modeling you guys must have a lot of room! I have problems with my Z scale. When I was in Florida I had a garage that was empty and had it added as a room no door just big window in front I had my "N" scale set up then! :ohmy: In the one shot with That Reading gondola car on the right side got stretch out looks pretty long too long!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16314 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
Interesting, Pete, you have the ships in the foreground. I envisioned the American Legend more in the background with warehouse and skyscrapers up against the skyboard behind her, and a marshaling yard with trains, trucks and all sorts of port activities close to the viewer.
I have 1:220 blue prints of two container cranes- one from Oakland, and three Z scale container ships--one is Atlantic Conveyor. I worked on her when I was at the Moran Container Terminal in Boston. She was later sunk in the Falklands War. The other is the Sydney Express- both good looking ships and a feeder Maersk line boat. I'd be happy to send them on to you Pete. Or Walt. He has a small company that makes very detailed Z Containers--Check out Z scale Monster- I believe there are Pics of his containers. Very well done.
Thinking about it again. some of my smaller boats and ships will be in the foreground too.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah, southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16315 by Pete Nolan
Yes, the gondola got stretched, probably when I adjusted the perspective to make the shot more rectilinear. Some things in the bridges photo are also distorted. These photos were taken quite a while ago, and I wasn't very good at correcting perspective with Photoshop. I also didn't have Helicon Focus (the stacking software for depth of field). So many of these shots were taken with a 12 mm DX lens at f22.

Fred, I'd love a copy of those plans. I've got a bunch of break-bulk plans, including the original SeaWitch, but no container ships other than very modern 375' and 614' vessels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah, southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16316 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Just for Fun

Fred wrote: I have 1:220 blue prints of two container cranes- one from Oakland, and three Z scale container ships--one is Atlantic Conveyor. I worked on her when I was at the Moran Container Terminal in Boston. She was later sunk in the Falklands War. The other is the Sydney Express- both good.

Fred, since you're offering to share them, is there any chance these blueprints could be added to the ZCentralStation Library?

Joe

More
10 years 6 months ago #16317 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Just for Fun
While this subject matter is not exactly train related to some extent, I really don't care. This is very nice no matter what the subject is. Thank you for sharing these pictures. Very nice to say the very least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 6 months ago #16319 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
Joe-- These prints- some of them are almost 3 feet long. And not sure of copy rights.
Plus I just have a regular copying machine that is not up to the task.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16320 by southernnscale
Fred I sent you an e-mail! Pete and the Reading Car wasn't a problem it just look real long and the shots are great!!!! :woohoo:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16321 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Just for Fun
Beautiful work Pete, regardless of the scale. I have always shown appreciation of a modelers work & talents regardless of scale.

Z Central Station is for Z scale modeling, but remember we are not sticklers.

John

More
10 years 6 months ago #16322 by Pete Nolan

Fred wrote: Joe-- These prints- some of them are almost 3 feet long. And not sure of copy rights.
Plus I just have a regular copying machine that is not up to the task.

Fred,

Don't send them if it's too expensive or takes too much trouble. I'd offer to scan them and put them up digitally--but not if there is a copyright issue.

I was trying to show how trains and a harbor could be combined. I think all of the latest series of images had trains--in fact, the same train--in them, as it wound around my layout.

Much of my N scale stuff will eventually make it into Z.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16323 by Pete Nolan

soccrdad30 wrote: Beautiful work Pete, regardless of the scale. I have always shown appreciation of a modelers work & talents regardless of scale.

Z Central Station is for Z scale modeling, but remember we are not sticklers.

John

Oh, OK. Fred encouraged me to post this stuff. I'll stop here.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16328 by southernnscale
I think these pictures give some of us "Z" scalers Ideals Of what we could make and install in our small layouts. there are a lot of ferries that carry train car from a port to another port close by. Most of the containers are ship in and loaded on trains and most of the stuff in "Z" made today is scale for other models. Since this is just one post that is just for fun!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16330 by ModelWarships
Replied by ModelWarships on topic Just for Fun
I hope I am not out of line, but I wish you ship guys would also submit pics to the Model Ship Gallery site on ModelWarships.com. Yeah, that's my site and I would love to see some cross over in our hobbies. Most of our readers are building in 700 and 350 scale, but 200 (almost Z) is coming on strong. Many of our readers are also Model RR'ers.

Timothy Dike

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16332 by Pete Nolan

southernnscale wrote: I think these pictures give some of us "Z" scalers Ideals Of what we could make and install in our small layouts. there are a lot of ferries that carry train car from a port to another port close by. Most of the containers are ship in and loaded on trains and most of the stuff in "Z" made today is scale for other models. Since this is just one post that is just for fun!

Never did get to the car ferries on the tour. Maybe later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16336 by southernnscale
That Bridge in one of you Photo has a really nice bridge is it scratch built? the design I great! that would really look nice in Z scale! was it design to lift up to let ship through!

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds