Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Just for Fun

More
10 years 6 months ago #16273 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Just for Fun
Fred well I thought I had you Because of all the containers! :woohoo: But I guess I was wrong can't blame you for this one :evil: I guess we can blame Stony!!!!!!! :evil:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16274 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Just for Fun
Neat idea! Interesting ship, is it scratch?

• Heavy-Equipment-Designer
More
10 years 6 months ago #16276 by Heavy-Equipment-Designer
Replied by Heavy-Equipment-Designer on topic Just for Fun
Fred, more pictures please... This is really, really nice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16277 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
Thanks for showing an interest. I converted this ship about 5 years ago- and some final details need to be completed. These pictures date back to when I was working on the Legend.
In the early transition from break bulk to containerization,(1960's), many shipping companies converted existing ships to recieve the new 20' and 40' containers. Sealand was a pioneer and the leading edge-
Grace lines had new builds that would have accomodations for passengers, as well as containers and break bulk. This ship represents the U S Lines Archer class to some degree. Unlike the purpose built, spartan, and utilitarian box ships of today, the early ships retained some of the fine lines, and even booms.

This shows the fore deck with full load of deck or open stowage containers. Often these are excess empty containers, being returned to original port to be reloaded. Odd shaped light cargo- such as yachts, might be stowed on the upper tier.. Not heavy bulldozers as I have done. I did it to add interest to the viewer-- and because I could. :woohoo: :evil:

This shows a tug/barge unit converted to transport containers from out ports along the coast to major import/export harbors that had container cranes. This barge is a self unloader as she carries her own dedicated crane. In the Chesapeake Bay old WWII LST's were used for this purpose.

This shows early conversion for a wrecked model of the S.S. United States with all the superstructure removed and bridge raised to allow 4 high stowage on deck.

Active ships were converted to carry containers. Regular cargo hulls- even tankers were jumboized for this new mode of transportation.

Making a block of 32 containers from 14 "real" containers and foto copy- Legend has 10 hatches- that saves appoex 180 Real boxes- not counting below deck's couple of hundred and all those in the marshaling yard. Note here---decal the ends of containers-BEFORE - making copies- saves a lot of time, effort, and decals, and head bashing. Another note: I used thin bass wood and not the 2x4 as indicated in foto- the block is hollow and lighter!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah, southernnscale, Heavy-Equipment-Designer, Pete Nolan

More
10 years 6 months ago #16278 by Pete Nolan
As Fred pointed out, the original converted container ships still had graceful lines. Using mostly T2/T3 tankers, they could be made into "stem-winders" if caught on the ways early enough. Here's my version in N scale. The general shape is from the Victory ships of late WWII.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, garthah, southernnscale

• Heavy-Equipment-Designer
More
10 years 6 months ago #16280 by Heavy-Equipment-Designer
Replied by Heavy-Equipment-Designer on topic Just for Fun
Fred, thanks for posting more images. Absolutly fantastic work. Same goes for your model to Pete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16281 by southernnscale
Pete, That one looks pretty big! :woohoo: send it over to Fred's and we can get all his containers! :evil:

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16284 by Fred
This is a picture of a WWII T-2 tanker that has been jumboized and converted to a stemwinder.. Taking the Midship house and putting it on top of the after house. The hull just forward of the house is new construction, the engine, accomodations and Navigational bridge are original equipment.
This picture was taken going thru the Straits of Singapore early 1970. And yup- that is me on the port wing.

American Trader carried various cargos- from black cude oil from Saudi, or grain from Longview, WA, to Bombay- or jet fuel to Viet Nam. Many T-2's were converted to container ships-Sealand comes to mind.

Maybe some members might ask...why all this ship stuff-??-this is a train group!
Ever wonder where all those containers come from that you run on the intermodal cars? Many come from overseas and are directly loaded at the port of entry onto RR cars- others on trucks. How bout all those oil tanker consists.. yup- the oil is imported by ship and the refined product distributed by rails and roads. And how bout all those grain- wheat cars..Much of that is exported by ship- to feed a demanding populous. When I got into Z, I envisioned a BIG layout that would have significant buildings from all 50 states-the 4 seasons and a seaport. My imagination was way bigger than time would allow. I wanted to show the transportation of goods and passengers on trains from the source to the end reciever. Z seemed like the perfect scale for such a big project- Then time, space, and treasure, wooped me up side the head and I had to rethink my thinking.
I still feel a ship on a layout gives reason for the trains- whether the cargo is imported oil, or exported bulldozers,.... and interest to the viewers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16285 by Pete Nolan

southernnscale wrote: Pete, That one looks pretty big! :woohoo: send it over to Fred's and we can get all his containers! :evil:

It's 487' in N scale and 60' in beam--not too big. That would be about 670' x 82' in Z--just need to redo the spacing on the decks. I already have a Z scale house built for a ship that size.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, garthah, southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16286 by Fred
Even a swimming pool and diving life boat.... :evil: :woohoo:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16287 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Just for Fun
Well, there you go again Pete....building something beautiful I cant float in my duck pond......rats! Really nice work. At least I can thoroughly enjoy watching you create these masterpieces even if I could only manage to get the bow section at best in my lake scene.

Keep up the great work.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16290 by Pete Nolan
I'd like to reinforce what Fred pointed out: a moderately sized freighter (say 450' long) can hold about 100 freight cars, so a harbor scene is a great originator for freight traffic! Well over 90% of international freight is now handled by containers.

Maybe I should post some pictures here of my N scale harbors on the Portsmouth Branch of the PRR?

I am working to bring most of my N scale ships to Z scale. It's just a matter of time. Today I was working on a 375' feeder container ship that I prototyped in Alabama last winter. Here's the N scale version:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, garthah

More
10 years 6 months ago #16291 by Fred
Loren- re create history--have a mini model battleship in your mud puddle pond, and have some nut trying to rescue it before it sinks. does the foot ware fit?? :S :evil: :whistle:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16293 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Just for Fun
Fred, even at 1/96 scale in Z it would be so small that folks would wonder what it was, a stick, a snake, or a bit of lint?

Not a bad idea though.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16295 by southernnscale
Well! Fred! Pete! You guys do great work! and I've tried to do this kind of work to But I guess I don't have enough passion for the ships to build or the material! You guy saw my shrimp boat in "N" scale I have only one more item I Have scratch built that would go with what you guys are building It's not completed because I have to complete the power room in the back of the container crane where the winches would be placed to run the rig. the tops are off because I was working on them before I had to put it in storage! But here Is a Photo of the container crane I built when I was working at Jacksonville Fla. port Spray painting six of these cranes and got blue prints of one. You can't see all the details like the decking made from wire mesh. But here it Is!

The crane in front does move. The forward part lift up in the storage position when not in use. You can see the container hanging from the front. It held in place by magnets in the lift and inside the container!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, garthah

More
10 years 6 months ago #16297 by Fred
Very well done! Have you seen the new super cranes for the bigger ships, once the widened Panama Canal gets operational??

More
10 years 6 months ago #16298 by Pete Nolan
That's wonderful work! Is a copy of the blueprints available?

More
10 years 6 months ago #16299 by Fred
Pete- post some pictures of your N scale port-- That is where I "met" you. Very nice. This forum- "Just For Fun" is an open forum and we can post things that are interesting to modelers- not just Z stuff. We can all learn and get ideas from other hobbiests.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16303 by Pete Nolan
The train is partway through the West Harbor, heading south. My layout placed the harbor on the inside of an around the room design.

The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah

More
10 years 6 months ago #16304 by Pete Nolan
Alittle further south in the West Harbor is this 139' wooden minesweeper making it way to the Navy base in the East Harbor.

The following user(s) said Thank You: garthah

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds