Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Just for Fun

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16337 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Just for Fun

southernnscale wrote: That Bridge in one of you Photo has a really nice bridge is it scratch built? the design I great! that would really look nice in Z scale! was it design to lift up to let ship through!

It is scratchbuilt, based on the Cape Cod Railroad Bridge with some major modifications: it is double-tracked, and it is 2/3rds of scale, or 1:240, as the full 1:160 just dwarfed the scene. It's not as close to Z scale as you might want, as the towers got squashed down, and the width had to be full N scale. I'm actually not happy with its looks at all.

It was designed to lift, but I never had time, nor real motivation, to implement that feature. I had to cross my South Harbor in a hurry while building the layout, and that feature would have delayed things for quite a while. I would have had to build very solid structures at a time when I was still testing out my main line's climbing design.

It's basically a whole mess of Plastruct, Evergreen and K&S structural shapes, and piano wire and C40 rail all cut up. I took a trip to Cape Cod to visit my brothers and sisters, and did spend a lot of time photo'ing the bridge and looking for plans. No success with the plans, so I drew my own.

The lift section of DelMar bridge looks identical in every respect and, with the same designer and builder, I expect that it is, with perhaps some pier differences. Of course, the Cape Cod bridge has some hats at the top, but I left them off, as the width and height changes made them look silly.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with building bridges, as I'm busy with ships right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16338 by Pete Nolan
There's actually three bridges in the photo. The other two are N scale versions of real bridges.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16355 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
:laugh: :laugh: Kit for Walt'z Pirate Ship :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:

Note detailed directions
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale, stonysmith

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16356 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Just for Fun
Fred Just for Me! :woohoo: :ohmy: B) :silly: Well thanks! I haven't started any ship's yet I guess on this new layout I'll have to have room for a small port, :whistle: or build a smaller one for adding ship's and a ferry boat make it an Island Just for some Pirate.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16357 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Just for Fun
Instructions:

Make this look like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 6 months ago #16358 by Fred
To many words Thom--like reading War and Peace-- :huh:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16361 by southernnscale
Fred,
Here's a flag you can use!

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16415 by southernnscale
Fred I'm on my way to making a small Pirate ship. I think I made a mistake It's too small for Z 83 foot in Z

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16416 by Fred
Yup--you got a full rigged ship there. Most Pirates had much smaler ships- Brigs or Sloops...They were fast and could sail to safety in shallow waters, and required fewer crew to work the sails---meaning more pirates to man guns or board thier target. ( Plus, the fewer the sails, the easier it is to make!) Baltimore clippers were used by pirates AND the Revenue Service, just for these qualities. Fore and aft sails allowed the ship to sail closer to the wind, where square sailed big ships were at a disadvantage.
This is a good start-- and a nice boat to practice on. First--I'd taper the yards by putting the dowel in a dremmel and sand down the outer ends - looks like you did that on the bow sprit. Masts are usually 2 or 3 lenghts banded together in steps- with crow's nests- or fighting tops about 1/3 the way aloft.
As the pirates became more sucessful- and capturing larger ships, they would put them into service.
A good way to make nice looking yards--get small dia brass tubing-insert solid rod that sticks out on both ends. For sails- I used thin evergreen styreen. I used a ROOT CANAL DRILL to bore holes in sail- all corners, and fed thread to tie to yards. For ratlines--rope ladders up the mast-- I drilled small holes thwartships where the chain plates would be- then took thread and went thru holes- round and round- up to fighting tops. Do you have a band sar?? -Har Har-making hulls are easy. Do a chain hitch up masts with black thread to indicate either metal bands that hold a 3 piece lower mast together- or hoops that keep the leading edge of sail, afixed to the mast.
Hear endeth the epistle :evil:

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16417 by southernnscale
Fred, I did sand the main mast and made them round I didn't have any round dowels They were just to big and would take for ever to make round! I had to do the hull in layers of wood and sand to get the shape. didn't have a model to go by I was using most from memory. The thread I have is a little heavy, use a clove hitch to attach rigging. I used a window screen for the rat lines on main mast. No! kit scratch built!

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16418 by Fred
It's coming right along. I'll check out what I have for dowels and get back to you.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16424 by southernnscale
Fred!
I'm Having trouble with the forecastle area the railing won't bend it look more like the stern. I guess I'll see if I can soak it in water it should bend then! I have a couple of flags! I need to paint he hull and make some wire anchors and also some sails and attach the ratline better than they are. I have them glued at the bottom to the inside railing. I used my computed screen for back ground. I guess I'll drill small holes for the guns down port and stbd. sides. also have to built a few crows nest. I have to fine a drawing with measurement to scale it down to Z scale and have it the right size scale. I had a man on the bow his head almost hit the fore Mast yard arm.

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16425 by Fred
Walt- Have you tried bending a thin strip of evergreen Styreene?? That's what I use sometimes for the bulwarks-- Once painted- no body knows :S
Have fun with the sails- you got a lot of em!! :woohoo:

Don't forget the CATHEADS!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
you can use pins :whistle:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16427 by southernnscale
Fred!, do you have any print for the pirate ship! I need the measurement so I can make a Z scale one!

More
10 years 6 months ago #16428 by Pete Nolan
I've use 110 lb cardstock for bulwarks in addition to styrene. Soak it with white glue and it's as durable as styrene.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16430 by southernnscale
Pete! why didn't I think of that! I used Paper towels. Gainesville, Florida when I made a Christmas Float for a parade and Santa was a Gator riding in a boat in the swamp delivering presents. I use Chicken wire paper towels with white glue and it came out as hard as a rock! That would really work! Thanks for making me remember that!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #16431 by southernnscale
Fred Got the Main sails up! still have some rigging wish I had some smaller thread! attach Bottom of ship painted terra cotta red!

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #16433 by Fred
Walt-That actually is coming out pretty nice. Great first attempt. what is her name?? No- Sorry- no blueprints of pirate ships. Suggest checking computer sites. You may be able to interpolate from drawing. If any length is given- make sure which one--Length at waterline - Length over all

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #16445 by southernnscale
Fred!, here a shot for you abandon light house hide out. Lighting not great! :silly: But it's a shot kind of evening shot!

Attachments:

More
10 years 5 months ago #16496 by southernnscale
Hey! Fred here one for you!

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds