Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Just for Fun

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3722 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Just for Fun
Im gonna guess it was converted but kept its steam for heating purposes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3724 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Just for Fun
I am thinking around the part around Italy Yugoslavia and Austria meets.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3726 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Just for Fun
I'm just back from our monthly meeting in Hamburg, and I see some more answers about the steam engine with pick ups for the catenary wire.

Karin is right about Switzerland, but wrong about the time. I wrote earlier about 1920 that it was later, meaning a number that is higher then 1920.

Zac got it almost right when he wrote:

Im gonna guess it was converted but kept its steam for heating purposes.

he just mixed up what was used for what...

A last hint:

I found the picture on a website about unusual variations on the steam locomotive. :whistle:

I will go to bed now, since it is almost 2am and I really need some ZZZzzzz for a while... :blink:

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3727 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Just for Fun
What "monthly meeting" in Hamburg ??? I will be visiting 20-23 April. How about a bi-monthly meeting this month :)

I will be at FR for Tuesday but travel to FR on Monday and return to Hamburg on Wednesday. I already contacted Larry to visit.

Jeff
SF Bay Area Z

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3728 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Just for Fun
The lok is Nn3 ?

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #3734 by ULie
Hello Jeff,
SJ-BAZ-man wrote:

What "monthly meeting" in Hamburg ??? I will be visiting 20-23 April. How about a bi-monthly meeting this month :)

We are the "Freundeskreis der Spur-Z Hamburg" , and we meet every first monday in a month. Unfortunately I will have to work late while you are in Hamburg.

About the locomotion from my quiz. No that is a real locomotive...

The reason for the power pick up on a steam engine is to find in the availabilty of certain things, which will also be understandable if you find the year the picture was taken.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe
Attachments:

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3735 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Just for Fun
Well, I was originally thinking it was used to find if the circuit had electricity supplied to it, but wouldn't have a clue of the time frame or place. With that last clue, I think I'm half right.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3736 by Kelley
Jeff if you are in Frankfurt on a weekend...You might get a chance to ride on the train that goes along the Main..Its pulled by a BR 50 or 52 I think..let me see if I can find info

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3739 by Kelley
Doahh I think it was last weekend.. well at least you can ride the ICE

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3740 by ULie
Hello Terry,
TerryH wrote:

Well, I was originally thinking it was used to find if the circuit had electricity supplied to it, but wouldn't have a clue of the time frame or place. With that last clue, I think I'm half right.

No the pick up is not for test purposes, it is for the actual running of the locomotive. The time frame has to do with a war elsewhere. That the locomotive is from Switzerland was said earlier.

As I said the picture is from a website with lots of different crazy locomotives. I will wait until tomorrow morning (my time) and post the link then.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #3742 by Mr. White
Maybe used in the war to check for power in the catenary.

Ok I found the real answer but is it cheating to find it on the web? If not I'll post it.

Zac

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3743 by ULie
Hello Zac,
Mr. White wrote:

Maybe used in the war to check for power in the catenary.

Ok I found the real answer but is it cheating to find it on the web? If not I'll post it.

No, it's OK to find the answer on the net. As you can see in the other thread "Who...How...What" some answers can't be found without the help of the net. Especially since we come from all around the world.

So just go ahead and post what you found.

BTW: Jerry, did you found something for us to continue that thread?

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3744 by Mr. White
So this steam engine had the catenary to heat the steam. This was done bacause of a shortage of coal during the war. Sorry for the brief explanation but typing on this iPhone is a pain.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3745 by ULie
Hello Zac,
Mr. White wrote:

So this steam engine had the catenary to heat the steam. This was done bacause of a shortage of coal during the war. Sorry for the brief explanation but typing on this iPhone is a pain.

Congratulation, that's the reason for this combo. The picture in question is from 1942. During the war coal was in short supply in Switzerland, and since they still had some of those 0-6-0 steamer for shunting they installed the power pick up and generated the steam with electric heating. The locos could still be heated with coal. This story can be read here .

Now it's Zacs turn to find a question.

And I hope Jerry will soon be back again for a new question in the other thread.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3746 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Just for Fun
This was a good one. Got me really searching. Found a site of CRAZY LOCOMOTIVES.com-- Great and funny pictures.
Fred

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3747 by Fred
We can switch back any time- this was just temp, and a fill in for Who, What, Where,
Whatever.
Fred :blink:

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3748 by ULie
Hello Fred,
Fred wrote:

We can switch back any time- this was just temp, and a fill in for Who, What, Where,
Whatever.
Fred :blink:

no bad feelings here, as you can see that I also joined in. Jerry said he was on limited computer access for a few days, so we just wait and continue here (too).

After all, this is fun, and for me it is also fun to find things that are possible to find for people from both sides of the pond with the same effort. Even if it is a theme very special for only one place like the question I had about my trip to the islands. In those cases I try to give a clue that equalize the chances.

:) :) :)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3754 by Fred

This is JUST FOR FUN
QUIZ on Hoo, How, What is back on, Who, How, What.:)
I do encourage members to post fun things here.
Fred
Attachments:

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #3755 by Fred
In the 1960's New York Central expirimented with a B-36 jet engine pod, to make high speed rail. It reached a speed of 183.681 miles per hour- Still a record for light rail in the USA. Once the test was over the Budd Liner was put back in service after the jets were removed.
Fred

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3758 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Just for Fun
Well Fred I am almost speechless. I just hope that all the architects of this nightmare were all fired. Cheers, Jim CCRR:woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds