Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

More
12 years 5 months ago #12008 by tealplanes
You know David, since you and Karin have been working so diligently and hard lately, I think you both deserve some time off. Why not just relax and take a well deserved break until after Christmas.

Knowing how patient Z scalers are, I seriously doubt anyone would mind if you delayed anything new until after Christmas... :o)

They can always get their Z fix and order a couple dozen coupler springs for something to play with...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #12009 by soccrdad30
Loren, It's bad enough Karin & David are having some fun discussing the next release without any hints mind you. But now, you get into the mix and stir up the pot even more! Shame on you Loren! Load the laser and go to your room. :lol:

More
12 years 5 months ago #12010 by tealplanes
John, I do have a very important role in all this melee.....I have the official title of LL&KP
That stands for Laser Loader and Kit Packer. I have a VERY important position in this. :o)

More
12 years 5 months ago #12012 by Socalz44
Good to see more laser kits for Z. Jim

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12015 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

Socalz44 wrote: Good to see more laser kits for Z. Jim

Well, to be strictly accurate, these are not "laser kits" in the traditional sense. There are some laser-cut parts in the kit, and the casting masters were made with a laser, but these kits represent something quite different. To my knowledge, this has not been done before.

More
12 years 5 months ago #12033 by Fred
Another suggestion-- A sheet of cut, peel, and stick-- City Signz in Z-- such as- Parking in rear-Pedestrian Cross Walks- Street arrows and STOP and RR Crossings for roadways- rooms for rent- Fire lane- no parking-cross bucks and stop signs-and of course names of different businessessess and advertizements - addinfanitem .......

More
12 years 5 months ago #12118 by Socalz44
David, Ok, I get it. I wish you guys much success. Jim

More
12 years 4 months ago #12221 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line
Tom Mann has started work on the first kit. Given his prowess with photography, it's a chance to see the process in vivid detail.

Follow along on The Railwire: www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=25070.0

More
12 years 4 months ago #12277 by Kelley
Would rolling-stock be feasible to cast in Z, as it is in other scales? Again using additional detail parts that are either lasered or etched? I know your plate is full with the building kits, but do you see this as perhaps a future venture?

More
12 years 4 months ago #12278 by David K. Smith

Kelley wrote: Would rolling-stock be feasible to cast in Z, as it is in other scales? Again using additional detail parts that are either lasered or etched? I know your plate is full with the building kits, but do you see this as perhaps a future venture?

In a word, yes. But not for a while yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelley

More
12 years 4 months ago #12308 by markm
David,
I've been working on the Thrift Store kit: nicely done and so far goes together well and looks good (although it will probably become a Coast-to-Coast store). I'm impressed that you're including the lighting hardware, a feature I personally feel as the realism in Z.
Unfortunately, light, like paint, leaks all over the place without proper masking. I'd like to suggest in the future providing some interior ceiling and wall masks for light control. Since you have the design dimension details, you'd know better than anyone the proper sizes, and they could be printed on the blank backside of the the product card.
Mark

More
12 years 4 months ago #12309 by David K. Smith

markm wrote: David,
I've been working on the Thrift Store kit: nicely done and so far goes together well and looks good (although it will probably become a Coast-to-Coast store). I'm impressed that you're including the lighting hardware, a feature I personally feel as the realism in Z.
Unfortunately, light, like paint, leaks all over the place without proper masking. I'd like to suggest in the future providing some interior ceiling and wall masks for light control. Since you have the design dimension details, you'd know better than anyone the proper sizes, and they could be printed on the blank backside of the the product card.
Mark

Mark, thank you for the feedback. I confess that I made the decision not to include any light-blocking materials as it didn't seem to leak much of anything in my test. That said, I did not try it in absolute darkness, just a dimmed room. I will take this into account in future kits.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12316 by markm
David,
Actually, the outside walls do an excellent job blocking light and with a bit of sanding they fit together very well. What I'm looking at is adding a ceiling/floor to separate the shop lighting from the upstairs apartments and a divider or two to control the lighting in the upstairs windows.
Maybe I'm too critical about lighting, but in most buildings, lighting varies in intensity in the windows and I try to model it that way. FYI my plan for the shop is a couple of fiber optic lines in the upstairs window, replacing the over the door light with a fiber and use your LED for lighting the store.
Mark

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12320 by David K. Smith
Mark, you're doing just what I do to virtually every structure I assemble: control the brightness, color temperature, direction and diffusion of the light for each individual space, according to how that space would be illuminated in real life. I've often thought of writing a clinic on realistic structure lighting. That, however, assumes I can find sufficient spare time.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12321 by Cleantex
In general the problem with light shining through you have with every polystyrol or resin kit.
Just Lütke provide inner masking walls, but this can also create new problems. The best solution is to paint the inside with matt black. That does the job always.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12328 by Fred
I just recieved the first two TBS kits. The detail and quality can't be beat!! The pecision of the lazer, coupled with the molding process makes for a very fine model. Hold it up to a light where shadows are cast to see the fine details. I'm impressed and look forward to future offerings. Now to read the instructions----
Fred
PS- Barrister Jargon--I'm in no way associated with TBS- Just a happy hobbiest!.........

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12360 by Mattias
I just finished mine. It was pretty much fun to build it. I only had problems getting off the paint. Next time, I maybe won´t let the paint dry completely. It fits good to the Micro Structures series. I´m, looking forwrd to the bank.
Greetings
Mattias

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
12 years 4 months ago #12365 by tealplanes
I'm not criticizing, but just wondering, would perhaps a slightly more reddish tint to the mortar perhaps blend in better? I know that mortar is usually a gray cement color so was just wondering.......

More
12 years 4 months ago #12366 by Mattias
That was also my thought when I was finished, Loren. I took Off white as it is described, but would go for a grey next time.
Greetings
Mattias

More
12 years 4 months ago #12369 by tealplanes
I think when David first showed how to get good looking mortar it wasn't so much about pushing a certain color as it was about showing how clearly defined the mortar can appear using his technique.

Gray of the right shade does seem to make sense to me, but that is my opinion.

I'm not passing judgment on anyone's color choice......but just be sure to use re bar if you live in an earthquake zone. :o)

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds