Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #11968 by Alaska Railroader
Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line was created by Alaska Railroader
It has arrived! The first kit from the TownBuilder System collaboration: Plain Jane's Thrift Store. How did we come to choose this modest little storefront? We had two primary motives. For starters, we didn't want to go overboard with our first kit, since this was a completely new venture into new territory. Likewise we wanted a relatively simple kit for modelers, since we're introducing a somewhat unusual style of construction—that being mixed media.

At the same time, we clearly wanted to demonstrate the strengths of this approach to kit design, so there's some really nice brickwork featured on the otherwise ordinary building face. And details abound, from the cut granite wall caps to the fancy window cornices and sills; from the scuppers and downspouts to the electric meter. Not to mention the fully-decorated window displays! We also provide the builder with some choices; an alternate sign turns it into Top Drawer Athletics, and there's even alternate window decorations.

Of course, this is just the beginning. We have so much more in store for Z Scale, because each month will bring a new TownBuilder System release. By this time next year, you'll have an entire Z Scale town at your disposal—hence the name of our product line. So watch this space to see what Stonebridge Models and NZT Products have in store for you!

TBSZ-0001: Plain Jane's Thrift Store
Introducing the first in a series of Z Scale classic American downtown structures from the TownBuilder System, a collaboration of talent dedicated to bringing you the finest kits possible. Plain Jane's Thrift Store (a.k.a. Top Drawer Athletics) is not based on a specific single prototype building, but is instead representative of timeless architecture unique to Anytown, USA.

Featuring authentic styling and exceptional brickwork, this lighted kit is highly detailed yet easy to build, requiring no special tools or skills. Everything you see in the photos is included—right down to the complete window displays!
Exploiting the salient qualities of different media, this hybrid kit is comprised of super-detailed first-generation high-pressure resin castings, molded in a rich brick color, plus precision laser-cut windows, doors and other parts. Together these high-quality components produce an outstanding structure suitable for a foreground location on any layout. Check out the copious detailing: the wall caps and front window sills have a remarkable cut granite texture; the back wall features scuppers and downspouts, electric meters, and a (non-working) light over the door. Plus, you have your choice of two signs and two sets of window displays. We believe it's the most detailed kit of its kind in Z Scale, all at an affordable price.

Assembled size: 1.24"w x 1.8"d x 1.6"h (31.5 x 46 x 40.8mm)

Wherever you see the TBS logo, you'll be assured of the finest possible quality.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, t.edmunds, KIN477

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #11969 by Kelley
I really like these buildings. Lots of detail. They are affordable. Look easy to build.
Without trying to bring any negative waves, I do have a question about size.
I understand most people have very small layouts and modules. I also understand, the less materials the less it will cost to make.
I also understand it is a business, and most people will be happy with shorter buildings at less cost, and more space, than those who want bigger buildings. So more will sell.
I am wondering if there are others out there like myself who would want more to scale buildings, which would fill up space on the modules and layouts? I might be the only one.
Please do not think I am picking on this building, as Z scale brick buildings, made by everyone, out of all the different materials, seem to be on the small side of things. I don’t know if it is because they are all scaled down N and HO and O buildings with the compression, or again to save space/money/materials.
Perhaps my thinking is off and I am seeing things though the filter of the Midwest towns. Perhaps buildings with small footprints are the majority on both the Coasts. They are for certain in Europe.
If you want to see some examples of what I grew up around, use Google Earth, find Christopher Illinois, go down to ground level on the south east corner of town, and take a look around.
A whole block long of store fronts, which could be used as perhaps a backdrop would be nice. One that could be used with an optional side and back walls, which are realistic sizes. In Z scale you will still have room for a back alley.

More
12 years 5 months ago #11970 by N/A
David, Karin and Loren,

Sweet looking building! Is the brick detail around the sing part of the changeable sign or is it cut into the wall? How thick are the resin walls and how easy is the resin to cut for kit bashing?

John 8)

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #11971 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

Kelley wrote: I really like these buildings. Lots of detail. They are affordable. Look easy to build.
Without trying to bring any negative waves, I do have a question about size.
I understand most people have very small layouts and modules. I also understand, the less materials the less it will cost to make.
I also understand it is a business, and most people will be happy with shorter buildings at less cost, and more space, than those who want bigger buildings. So more will sell.
I am wondering if there are others out there like myself who would want more to scale buildings, which would fill up space on the modules and layouts? I might be the only one.
Please do not think I am picking on this building, as Z scale brick buildings, made by everyone, out of all the different materials, seem to be on the small side of things. I don’t know if it is because they are all scaled down N and HO and O buildings with the compression, or again to save space/money/materials.
Perhaps my thinking is off and I am seeing things though the filter of the Midwest towns. Perhaps buildings with small footprints are the majority on both the Coasts. They are for certain in Europe.
If you want to see some examples of what I grew up around, use Google Earth, find Christopher Illinois, go down to ground level on the south east corner of town, and take a look around.
A whole block long of store fronts, which could be used as perhaps a backdrop would be nice. One that could be used with an optional side and back walls, which are realistic sizes. In Z scale you will still have room for a back alley.

Thank you for all of your feedback. I understand your frustration with having nothing but small buildings in Z scale. Here are a few pointers that might help.

For starters, we deliberately chose a small building as an introduction into a new style of kit. We wanted something quick and easy to build to get folks used to something different. We also wanted to be easier on ourselves, to help avoid problems since this is an all-new process for us. And finally, many people choose Z Scale because they're tight on space, so they appreciate space-economical kits.

Now for some realities. This is a scale building. I know it may seem to be compressed, but it's not. There are also a great many buildings that are considerably smaller that we could have chosen. I have over 2000 reference images on hand, and you'd be amazed at how small some of them are; I had my hair cut yesterday downtown where I live, and the whole building is smaller than my workshop.

Yes, of course, a great many of them are bigger, too. And rest assured, we'll be making some bigger ones in the future. While it may be just slightly disappointing for you, the next few kits will not be significantly bigger than Plain Jane. We're developing "families" of buildings that work well together to create entire street scenes. And while none of them are 100% accurate per any specific prototype structure, they're all based on reality.

So please bear with us as we move through phases of kit development. I hope you like what we have in store.

More
12 years 5 months ago #11972 by Kelley
Thank you for the response. I understand the reasons for the current sizes for the above reasons. I also appreciate the time and effort put into the new venture, and will be looking forward to these buildings as well as some with bigger footprints in the future.

More
12 years 5 months ago #11973 by Fred
TBS Might consider making a series of storefronts ( FLATS) that are attatched together- Just the fronts--Boss- Just the fronts-- That way we don't have to keep buying the side and back walls over and over-- These are not seen when mounted together. Some - a lot of modelers can make additional sides if necessary. These storefronts can also be used up against the backboard to make the town appear that much bigger-
Another option I'm sure you are paruzing is the building that can be built taller with additional stories. 2 to 4 to 6 stories. TBS is just taking off and I bet thier imagination will surprise us- The DETAIL sure has!!
Good point Dan. The area behind the sign might have brickwork so we can mount smaller signage-- Instead of being built into the building the signs can be glued on.
This is a great big step for Z kind.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #11974 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line
The area behind the sign is solid brick (you can see a bit of it under the window sill in the close-up photo of the front wall). In fact, you don't even need to put a sign there at all; you can put two smaller ones in the windows and make two businesses. The brickwork is based on that of a real building, incidentally.

And yes, Fred, we've already got more ideas than we can count.

More
12 years 5 months ago #11975 by N/A
David,

Thanks to you, Karin and Loren for making this beautiful building and for answering these questions.

Is the cornice above the second story windows part of the casting or it is glued on? The reason I am asking is I am thinking of adding two more stories.

John

More
12 years 5 months ago #11976 by N/A
David,

Disregard my cornice question because I just read the assembly instructions at www.stonebridgemodels.com/tbs/products/tbsz_0001_instructions.pdf

Yours,

John

More
12 years 5 months ago #11977 by Fred
Dan- This would be a tough building to add two stories--the lower level windows would not be right on an upper story- thus three kits?? Maybe future buildings will incorperate building taller- or a separate kit. Just thinking.....

More
12 years 5 months ago #11978 by tealplanes

Dashing Dan wrote: David,

Thanks to you, Karin and Loren for making this beautiful building and for answering these questions.
John

John,
I can take no credit for any portion of this creation. This is the result of David and Karin's combined efforts.

I love the expression......"don't blame me, I just work here" That fits the bill pretty well this time out

More
12 years 5 months ago #11979 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

Kelley wrote: If you want to see some examples of what I grew up around, use Google Earth, find Christopher Illinois, go down to ground level on the south east corner of town, and take a look around.

Kelly, I did as you said, but I also went to a couple of the towns I'm familiar with. Unless one is very familiar with the city itself and the buildings in it, it might appear a lot of these buildings are larger (mostly longer), but after taking into account that quite a few of these buildings started out as smaller structures and were then added to, it changes everything. The percentage of smaller buildings to larger ones on one town’s main street I looked at and I’m familiar with is 2 to 1. The percentage in the other city I looked at is just a little less than that. And the majority of the time, the additions to the buildings don’t match up at all. Wood siding is butted right up next to brick, cement block added on to the back of a wood building, or a Quonset hut type structure behind an old store, etc., etc.. So just go for it! Add on to these structures with whatever you have on hand to make them bigger… Everything goes on Main Street… as long as the place has a good looking store front, it doesn’t matter what’s in the background!

Joe

More
12 years 5 months ago #11980 by David K. Smith
It could have been "worse"... we might have started with something like this:

More
12 years 5 months ago #11981 by Mr.JA

David K. Smith wrote: It could have been "worse"... we might have started with something like this:

:blink: :sick: (change that green smiley to orange)

Congratulations, Karin and David. The start of this series is a serious game changer in our Z world. I expect other scales to start to complain of how Z is no longer "cute". ;)

More
12 years 5 months ago #11982 by Fred
Yup- That wooda bin worser!!

More
12 years 5 months ago #11983 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line

Zcratchman_Joe wrote: So just go for it! Add on to these structures with whatever you have on hand to make them bigger… Everything goes on Main Street… as long as the place has a good looking store front, it doesn’t matter what’s in the background!

Yes, I'm quoting myself here... When I said "it doesn’t matter what’s in the background", it was not my intention to make it sound as if I was putting down the new buildings, or that the great work these guys did on the sides/ends of brick buildings was unimportant. I just meant that adding on to these buildings could look very prototypical. Sorry if anyone took it differently.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #11986 by Fred
All kinds of posibilities exist with this new line of town buildings. After a goodly number of building kits are available
a bunch of accessaries,.... Stair cases, both open and roofed to second story side door, walk out structure on roof top, skylights, balconies for front like Old French Quarter in New Orleans, fire escapes, flower boxes (hmmmm) rooftop clutter, signs that are perpndicular to store fronts, roof top signs, window and roof air conditioners,awnings, and I still like the idea of a series of flats for backboard, or made 3-D by modeler, just to name a feeeeew.
Fred
Ps- won't post here but some suggestions for flats are on JUST FOR FUN page 32
Another idea is to have some stairs to walk up to the store front-- or even down -like a store has an entrance below street level.

More
12 years 5 months ago #12002 by David K. Smith
Here's a quote from Robert Ray, renowned Z Scaler, copied (without permission) from TrainBoard:

I just got mine in the mail, as well as a bunch of the NZT Products detail castings. I'm floored! This stuff is Exquisite!

If you plan on building a kit this year, make sure you put the TBS Z-01 at the top of your list. It's loaded with value. The main walls are finer that anything I have EVER seen cast before. Period! They are cast in a realistic brick color, and it's true you do not need to paint the brick, just do the cream color tole paint trick to rub mortar between the bricks, and the finish is perfect!

There are inner wall sheets that act as window mullions, and window glazing, designed to simplify construction, and double duty as light blocks so the structure don't glow when you turn on the included lighting! There is even silhouettes for both sports figure poses or girly fashion poses to place in the front windows. This is both a simple, yet complete kit, and even includes window blind material. It's tiny, it's precision, and it's a home run!

I have no vested interest in this venture, other than for use in my own modeling efforts, and I'm telling you all, get yours or get sorry you missed out!

Oh, and the NZT Products details... They are for real! You cannot for love of God or Country, or stacks of cash for that matter, obtain any better quality and sized details in Z. Don't take my word for it, just ask anyone else you know who got some! If you like quality, precision, and detail as much as I do, get some NZT Products for your yourself!

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #12006 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: Announcing the Start of a Whole New Z Product Line
I don't know David, should we keep working on #2? If only we could know for sure that they would want it! :laugh:

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12007 by David K. Smith
I know just what you mean, Karin. It's always such a gamble.

So, what do you think... should we quit while we're ahead?

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds