Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Wednesday, May 08, 2024

It's awfully quiet around here!

More
14 years 11 months ago #4667 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Fred wrote:

...I'm not going to retype it all again!
Fred

you don't have to ...
it pays (when typing particularly long essays) to "select all the text you just typed, right click the mouse and copy" , before pressing submit button
if (for whatever reason) things go pear shaped, you still have it in your temporary memory and it is a simple matter to paste it again in the posting window

you are not unique in experiencing this kind of problems (and it only happens after you have spent last half hour typing :laugh: ) and neither is this forum - it happens from time to time ... ;)

in extreme (if the message is particularly complicated, or valuable), you can always prepare it outside (using any word processing software) and only paste it onto the forum once you are happy with it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 11 months ago #4668 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
bambuko wrote:

On one hand you have few exceptionally skilled types, who can show off their achievements, but this does not lead to any discussion apart from the usual exclamations of "awesome" because few can aspire to follow the lead :huh:

Chris, about this remark... ALL of the items I have shown in the gallery posts are of new product that ANYONE here can aspire to. All are VERY easy to put together from beginner on up. The reason I am wanting to "correct" this comment is because what you said hurts the very ideal I am trying to achieve. When someone sees something I have made as a kit I don't want them to take to heart what you said, I want them to know that THEY can do it! And do it well. Please folks, what I post in the gallery you can do it. The greenhouse is incredibly easy even though it looks delicate. The benches, chairs and tables can be done fast by anyone who models in Z. That picnic table took maybe 10 minutes including the coloring, less if you are doing several at a time. Please do not discourage us small cottage industries from posting our projects as that discourages us from doing so and yet the Z modelers are begging for more and different items to make for their layouts. What is interesting to one may not be to another but I hesitate to discourage the photo postings or dialogue, especially when it IS something the reader can aspire to. Just my frustrated half penny's worth.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4670 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Socalz44 wrote:

John, Aren't you going to share with the group how you broke your arm???Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

Jim, my story is that I had a fight with my wife, and she won. :laugh:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4671 by bambuko
alaska-rr wrote:

...The reason I am wanting to "correct" this comment is because what you said hurts the very ideal I am trying to achieve...

I wasn't talking about you or any other kit/product that is being sold - clearly they wouldn't sell if they were not within reach of the average punter out there :)
And that, by definition takes it out of "exceptional" category
Your products (in my book :P ) fit the "in between" category ;)

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 11 months ago #4672 by Alaska Railroader
OK, then if I am in the in between group then who does this group look upon to aspire to if the excelled don't post photos for us to oooo and ahh over?

More
14 years 11 months ago #4674 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
TIMX wrote:

Yes, Likewise Loren, is it possible too that spring has thawed all the things that have been needing done outside. I just can't ignore the jungle creeping up to my door anymore.

Tim M.

Tim, you have a jungle too? Not only do I have a jungle, but I think my wildlife habitat has attracted some new species of animals lately...
I hear strange sounds coming from my back yard late at night..........getting to the point I am afraid to stray outside after dark. I don't venture past my rear deck, and that is only if I am armed with a shovel or pitch fork.

Yup, I've got to do some major clear cutting and take back the jungle from whatever it is out there that is roaming around late at night and showing their glowing eyes.
:laugh:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4675 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Loren- better check with the GREEN people- Might be habitat for spotted mooze, or the famed mouserat, or where the jackalopes play. Muzzent mezz with the mooze.
Fred

More
14 years 11 months ago #4677 by bambuko
and that's the mystery ;)
I know, that I personally stopped posting on the subjects that excite me, because the response I got was negligible (when compared to thousands supposedly being members...)
I am not upset about it :P I am still here, reading all the Z forums, but it is little pointless talking to oneself :laugh:

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 11 months ago #4678 by Alaska Railroader
So your posting photos of your work isn't worth your time....

More
14 years 11 months ago #4680 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
I am still a newbie and know very little about the history of trains or the specifics of a particular engine or line, so it is difficult to post a meaning response at times. I have read a good bit on scratch building and general railroad modeling but have barely scratched the surface. I reply on those more experienced to help guide me in the right direction, to offer encouragement and correction as required.

I know that I learn from every picture I see, because they are all related in some manner, no matter the source. The whole is equal to the sum of all of its parts, that is why it is vital that everyone contribute whatever then can, big or small. Thanks and Happy Zing. :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4681 by bambuko
People post for a lot of different reasons ...
I didn't say that it wasn't worth my time :)
I can post my photos on my Picasa gallery without getting any response - I don't need forum for it ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4684 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Had a few very busy days at the office and needed a few days to be able to login again. Don't know what happened but I was logged out and had troubles logging in again.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4686 by tealplanes
bambuko wrote:

and that's the mystery ;)
but it is little pointless talking to oneself :laugh:

Chris,
Karin finds me talking to myself quite often. It amuses her because I usually end up getting in an argument with myself and can get quite nasty. I win the argument about half the time, the rest of the time I go away telling myself the other guy is dense..... It's cheap entertainment for her;)
Loren

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4687 by bambuko
you are right Loren,
it's always safer to argue with yourself than with SWMBO (after all she always wins anyway :P )

More
14 years 11 months ago #4692 by tealplanes
Well Chris, Karin doesn't refer to herself as SWMBO, but I do catch her rolling her eyes often when I give her a lame excuse. Perhaps she isn't quite as slow to catch on to my goofiness as she lets on......hmmmmmm.

I better take her out and appease her a bit before I ask her to loan me the money for a Challenger loco,..........suppose? ;)

Loren

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds