Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Wednesday, May 08, 2024

It's awfully quiet around here!

More
14 years 11 months ago #4615 by ausman2001
It's awfully quiet around here! was created by ausman2001
What's everyone doing? As for me, I'm in the middle of having new bamboo floors laid in my living room and both bedrooms, so "normal" life (whatever normal really is) has come to a standstill for a few days. When the floors are in, and I've restored the place to a civilised state, I can finally start on my long-awaited layout! :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4616 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
I was hoping to have my batch of Preiser people painted before the GN dome cars came, but MTL delivered first (picked mine up Saturday). So I need to spend several evenings with apaintbrush. Then into the domes the people go to enjoy the views. (This wasn't my idea. It was inspired by Tony.)

Have a look at Tony's work.

Separately, an expedition to "Home Despot" is in order, to pick up some insulation board (pink or blue) to give my pancake-flat layout base some local (Puget Sound) topography.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4617 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Just got back from my LHS. More wood for my Northern Division trestles. Don Fedjur is coming over tomorrow with the latest DCC chip put into on of my Marklin Mikados. Time to begin crossing over to the darkside. As for everyone else. Probably spring cleaning. Cheers, Jim CCRR:huh:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4618 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Its been too hot to work in the garage most days. Its about 102 right now. Also I am studying for the ABO exam. (American Board of Opticinary) Everyone likes letters behind their name right?

Train wise the track is being glued down on the outer oval. (Drying really fast in the heat)I tried to shorten a piece of the mtl track, but didn't come out as nice as the photos on here. It also had a speed bump like effect on the train so I decided to leave it out. I think I could do it again if I has spare track, and some better cutters. I thought my jewelers ones were flat but aparently not.

Zac out.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4619 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Ive been hitting the historical markets.. Ill be fighting Romans this weekend. (ROMANS GO HOME) and maybe some Frenchman if I have time.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4620 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
We had a bit of snow yesterday and it's going to be at or below freezing overnight for a few days. The trees up here are budding, though spring is slow and cool this year.

When I finished putting together the 12 Kibri kits the other day, I packed them up for storage. We won't be doing any scenic work on the large layout until we get a full plan of the legs and the Plexiglas cover wordwork which will probably take awhile due to research and time limitations for the family sawyer.

All four of our Marklin locomotives are at the shop in CA waiting to be upgraded to 5 pole motors.

The Preiser figures arrived and I've slowing working with them to get a few smooth enough for painting.

Today three circles were cut out of the ultra-thin plywood for the LHS for the bases of my Z PBL dioramas. One of the bases has to be 4 1/8" wide to fill in the bottom of one of holding containers. It won't qualify for the Challenge, but it will be part of a trio of dioramas. All the elements for the trio of dioramas are in my possession. All I have to do is work out the details for each of them.

While doing research on German towns, the Neuschwanstein castle, N. American diners, and similar topics, I stumbled onto several YouTube videos that are were just plain fun....

Alpsee Rodalbahn (combination bobsled and rollercoaster ride, about 4:20 mins.)

Natural Impressions of Bavaria (Alz River and Woods, 2:50 mins.)

Neuschwanstein Castle (awesome video with mood music by Rammstein - play loud for best effect! 3:44 mins)

Neuschwanstein Castle (the yodelling version, 4:20 mins.)

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Air A Danser (4:40 mins.)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4626 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Where did all of the Enthusiasm Go??? This Forum use to be kicking with all kinds of new and exciting projects that Z scalers were working on. Posting photos like crazy!!!

I can't believe that everyone is working away from home now like me with limited access to the web or the hobby we so love!!! I hate working away from home. Can't visit my shop whenever I want too!!! CSX, I mean it SUX!! Sorry John, had to do it!!! Too Funny!!! Don't mean nothing by it as I am in the middle of CSX and NS country!!

Yesterday I took about 10 minutes out of my work schedule to drive my work cart over to the end of the paper warehouse which is across the plant road to a huge P&H "A" frame crane unloading log trucks. From the distance I was parked I couldn't tell what they were but two NS locos were changing out several empty boxcars here at the International Paper facility. Was a cool site to see.

If anyone wanted to make a full size paper facility on their layout or module, it's going to be an interesting, highly detailed work of art!!! Lots to see here!!! Have a nice shortline switching boxcars.

Also their is a West Frazer plant at the corner. It looks like they are making pressboard or a plywood board in 4' x 8' sheets. Can't tell from the distance from the road as I drive by but definitely a 4'x8' sheet of something made from wood.

Wish I had approval to bring a camera in here for I'd get lots of shots of the NS switching Ops!!! They have GATX centerflow type covered hoppers here that are pressurized. Lots of different tank cars too. Theile and Kaolin (Georgia Clay) among other chemicals.

Ok, let's get this forum up and cracking to the beat!!! Crack that whip!!!

Hobo Tim :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4628 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
My project is currently on hold due to an impending test and a vacation to alaska!!! Also a recent bout of dehydration had me in the urgent care getting two liters of water pumped in my veins. I have to choose the time to work in the garage carefully in the summer here now. On the bright side the track is laid and I have the rails on the outer loop painted.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4629 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Tim,
For me at least life's real responsibilities most often take priority over hobby interests.
I'd venture that many simply don't have the time to devote to the hobby as they would like to. Running a full time at home business plus a MTL dealership, spring chores, volunteering services, etc, etc. can really devour the old time clock.

The enjoyment is still there, it's the time that is missing.

I did manage to work some on my first PBC last night and just about have it ready for a photography session.

I'd say that for the past year or so, my main frustration in life has been knowing the hobby was just a few feet away and I could always see it sitting there.

Add to that the fact I can read of the exploits of others on a daily basis just makes the longing more intense and more envious of those who do find the time to participate.

A favorite line from the movie "The Cowboys" has the character Mr Nightlinger saying to a madame....."I have the inclination, the wherewithal, and the desire, but I simply don't have the time...."

That sums it up for me.........anyone else have Mr Nightlinger's problem?

Running on empty...time wise,:(
Loren

More
14 years 11 months ago #4631 by TIMX
Replied by TIMX on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Yes, Likewise Loren, is it possible too that spring has thawed all the things that have been needing done outside. I just can't ignore the jungle creeping up to my door anymore.

Tim M.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4632 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
tealplanes wrote:

A favorite line from the movie "The Cowboys" has the character Mr Nightlinger saying to a madame....."I have the inclination, the wherewithal, and the desire, but I simply don't have the time...."

That sums it up for me.........anyone else have Mr Nightlinger's problem?

Running on empty...time wise,:(
Loren

Yes, Sums it up real well!!!!

Hobo Tim :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4634 by Socalz44
Tim, All the sites are experiencing major lack of postings. We still get over 550 hits a day. Maybe the economy has put a damper on peoples spirits. Z yahoo is sometime lucky to get 3 posts a day. Don't have a count on lookyloos there. Trainboard is down as well. Who knows? Our picture postings are good. Forums not so hot. Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4640 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Well ... it's either the same old culprits posting the identical topics on Trainboard, Railwire, or ZCentral (plus few troglodytes :laugh: still stuck on Yahoo Groups) or the beginners asking the same old questions for umpteenth time again, with nothing in between.

On one hand you have few exceptionally skilled types, who can show off their achievements, but this does not lead to any discussion apart from the usual exclamations of "awesome" because few can aspire to follow the lead :huh:

On another hand - there will always be a need for beginners section, but it seldom leads to any interesting discussion :dry: since it usually just requires posting a link, pointing to some old discussion or answering simple question (whatever the hobby or forum, few people seem to able to search for the answer themselves).

So it would be interesting to see what response did David got to his message in a bottle ?

More
14 years 11 months ago #4641 by Socalz44
Good on ya, for digging up one of Davids blogs. He's the greatest. So far today the posting count here is about 25 today. On Z Yahoo Group only 2 so far. On Trainboard about 6. So maybe we aren't as quiet as we think we are? Cheers, Jim CCRR:woohoo:

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4642 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
For myself,

Hockey, work, and the economy. Can't afford to get anything started and even if I did couldn't fit it anywhere right now. Yes, I have too little space for Z and most of the stuff is in storage until I can get a bigger place, :(. But, I'll try to keep the spirits up with the trivia questions feel free to show your answers on the Who, How, & What.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4655 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
I had taken a few days and took some pictures I sent to the Walthers Magic contest. I got a few good ones, most were average and many were fuzzed out in the borders. My uncle gave tips on how to get rid of that but my camera wasn't that fancy.
I have 2 modules in progress. The bridge module is close to being done. I need to work on wireing, finish balast, and pour more Magic Water. The "conversion" mod needs everything but the benchwork.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4662 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
I just spent a hour respoding to this thread- and it did not post-- It's lost! I'm sgned in -- what's the story.
Fred

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4663 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
Well it worked this time- Just frustrated the previous didn't post- I'm not going to retype it all again!
Fred

More
14 years 11 months ago #4665 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:It's awfully quiet around here!
My excuse is my broken arm, Right now, the doctor has me on a long cast. It goes from below my shoulder to my hand. I may try to do some weathering and graffitti.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4666 by Socalz44
John, Aren't you going to share with the group how you broke your arm???Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds