Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Train Movies

More
15 years 2 months ago #2207 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Train Movies
The train sequences in Passage to India are accompanied by exotic Indian music. Truly a music, distant land, different era and train lovers movie :)

The more I think about this topic, the more I realize how deeply trains are ingrained in my life. Not only in movies or tv, but in everyday life....

My dad's dad, who had passed away before I was born, worked in some lowly capacity , maybe as a porter, on the CNR (yes, back in the day it was the CNR) and was away from home a lot working on the train.

Throughut the 60s and early 70s, when I was a child and lived with my parents, there were train tracks within walking distance. I could hear the trains at night as I drifted off to sleep.

Also in the mid-60s, Edmonton's CN Tower was built. At the time it was the tallest building in the city.

Starting in the mid-70s, I worked at the main post office located next to the CN Tower for 10 years. That post office even had an enclosed loading dock railway cars. I worked down on the dock often, though trains no longer used the room by my time there. The tracks were still there though and it was kind of cool to explore the dock when supervisors were elsewhere.

I don't travel much anymore, even around our city, but in 1974, I rode the train with a friend from St. John, New Brunswick to Edmonton, Alberta. The journey took days.

Later in the 70s, I took up photography and spent a good amount of time photographing the train yard that I drove past every day to get to work.

In the 80s and 90s, I rode our city's LRT (Light Rapid Transit) trains to downtown and work. The city continues to slowly build the LRT throughout the city, but it's been a terribly slow process.

Trains, trains, trains! Where would our civilization be without them? It's interesting that Hollywood has not forgotten that trains are definitely part of our lives in important, yet often subtle ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2234 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:Train Movies
What about Back to the Future III, they used a train to get up to 88 mph and then turned the train into a time machine. Doc, you gotta get me back to the year 1985!!!!!!

More
15 years 2 months ago #2290 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Re:Train Movies
Anyone mention "Runaway Train" with John Voight riding it out to the end standing on top of the train with his arms stretched out? Only bad part was Eric Roberts...

todd

More
15 years 2 months ago #2292 by Stojiny
Replied by Stojiny on topic Re:Train Movies
In THE 1930'S HOLLYWOOD MADE MANY CHAPTERED SERIALS-MOSTLY 12 CHAPTERS. THERE WAS ONE THAT I ENJOYED MOST OF ALL BUT I'M NOT SURE OF THE NAME. IT WAS SET IN THE MOUNTAINOUS DESERT SOUTH WEST U.S., AND ABOUT A MAN CALLED 'THE WRECKER'. HE AND HIS GANG WOULD RELEASE A BOXCAR HIGH IN THE MOUNTAINS WHEN A FREIGHTWAS COMING UP THE MOUNTAIN. I REMEMBER THAT SOME OF THE BOXCARS WUD FLY OFF THE RAILS AND DOWN AN EMBANKMENT. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF THIS SERIAL-I'M USEING A ON SCREEN KEYBOARD AND CAN'T FIND THE QUESTION MARK. I'VE TRIED TO MODEL THIS OVER THE YEARS-1st IN THE 50'S IN HO AND LATER IN NUMBER 1, THEN IN NSCALE--AND NOW IN Z. LOTSA FUN. STOJINY

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2361 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Train Movies
Todd wrote:

Anyone mention "Runaway Train" with John Voight riding it out to the end standing on top of the train with his arms stretched out? Only bad part was Eric Roberts...

todd

Hey Todd, Thanks for remembering Runaway Train..... Like i said above, i love bad "B" movies, and this one is great. Eric Roberts is the reason this movie sort of sucks, but thats what makes it great.... My favorite Eric Roberts lines from this movie are "Manny, take we with ya" and "I thought we was friends.. i thought we was partners".... LOL To funny.

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2379 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Train Movies
Runaway Train was fantastic. saw it in high school Philosophy class.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3155 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Train Movies
Look what I stumbled across...and a lot of other free movies too..
www.classiccinemaonline.com/cinema/comedy/broadwaylimited.html

More
15 years 1 month ago #3157 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Train Movies
Kelley. Great one. That loco is in my era, but unfortunately it would have never been seen in the back woods areas I model. Cheers, Jim CCRR:(

More
15 years 1 month ago #3161 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Train Movies
Todd wrote:

todd

Very good movie! I do appreciate! The sight of these old Geeps and F-Units in ice and snow is amazing. And furthermore one can see one the rare and famous EMD or ALCO MRS1...
And about action nothing to say, especially when the runaway locomotives hit a caboose not reaching the siding quickly enough....:unsure:

Dom

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds