Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Train Movies

More
15 years 2 months ago #2043 by Kelley
Train Movies was created by Kelley
I wanted to break off of one thread and start this one. What are your favorite train movies? I think this one has got to be the grand-daddy of all of them!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2051 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Train Movies
Hmm Train movies:
I must admit i'm a junky for train movies. Seams i'll watch a bad movie all the way through as long as it has some train scenes in it. Here's a quick list of a few of my favorites.

#1 would have to be Sam Peckinpa's classic "The Wild Bunch" is my all time favorite. Great train sequences and most of it shot a true speed. All of it is with real trains.... no 3 second shots of models in this one. Great movie!!
#2 The Train with Burt Lancaster: Great movie, good story line, and off course its centered around the french railroad, so great movie again.
#3 Sliver Streak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor... Classic and funny. Great train shots, and the final scene where the train crashs through Chicagos station is great.
#4 Good the Bad and the Ugly. This ones go some great scenes with Tuco on the prisoner train. Interestingly, these movies by Segio Leon were shot in Spain and Italy, and its clear in the movie that these are not North American cars or locos, but who realy cares when its such a great shot-em-up western.
#5 Joe Kid. Seams Clint Eastwood liked trains to, and decided to run one through the wall of the saloon at the end of this western. Note: this one was a US made movie, not a spagetti western and shot in California by John Sturges.
#6 Von Ryans Express. The Chairman of the Board does a nice jod in this movie. I think most of the equipement is german or italian. this movie was shot on location in italy, so i don't really know.
#7 North by Northwest. Cary Grant.... who dosn't like Cary Grant, and its a Hitchcock classic to boot. All 1950's era trains, but this was also filmed during passanger railroadings last great epoch of class here in the US. Really gives you the feel of the glamor and shine of the 50's passanger era.
#8 Under Siege: Part Two. Now i'm not a huge Steven Sigal fan (actually i think he's sort of a choda) but this flic is set on a train throughout the entire movie. The plot sucks, and purely unbelevable, but then again this movie was not made for its acuracy.
#9 US Marshals with Tommy Lee Jones and Wesly Snipes has some decent train scenes with most notably the big crash scene, but most of this is models.
#10 Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid. There is the famous scene of the express car being blown up in this movie, as well as the referances to Mr. Harrimann of the Union Pacific Railroad by the clerk, but over all i don't care for this movie much. I'v ready many books about the actual life and times of Rodert Leroy Parker (aka Butch Casidy) and Harry Longbough (The Sundance Kid) and have traveled to The Hole in the Wall, and Robbers Roost in 4x4's, and this movei does not do the fellas justice. Its a well shot and acted western, and is highly regarded as that, but the story it tells is completly wrong, with most notably the robbing of the UP Flyer in Wyoming. In the movie they show the Hole in the Wall Gang robbing it twice on just over one month. This is not true. They did rob the same train in aproximatly the same area as the first robbery, however these events were a year and a half appart, and did not involve the same express clerk. Nore were they ever persued by Lord Baltamor or Joe Lefors. In fact there was never a indian tracker named Lord Baltamor, and Joe Lefors (who was a real man) never persued the Hole in the Wall Gang, and mostly worked out of Texas and the Oklahoma teritory hunting down renagade indians. The list of inacuracys go's on and on. So this movie is fun to watch, but not at all acurate

Well thats enough from me for today.... Please add to this list any other train related movies... i now there's more, and probibly a few i havn't seen yet.

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2052 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Train Movies
Guys, You left off the greatest of them all, "Emperor of the North", Ernest Borgine and Lee Marvin, 1973. Also "Runaway Train". Let's not forget the opening 10 minutes of one of my personal favorites, "The Peacemaker", with George Cluney and Nicole Kidman. Fabulous and moving title sequence of a train going thru Ural forest at night. Then a train collision and a nuclear blast! Doesn't get better than that! Plus the movie is listed as one of the best in the all time 'sleepers' category. 1997. What a movie should be. Excitement from opening title to the end. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2053 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Train Movies
Yea Emperor of the North is good.. Hobos vs Trainmen! As far as TV shows goes you know there is only one. I do have the general store kit, so I just need to get a watertower and fill them with skinny dipping girls. And pick up the right engine and old time wagons for the Hooterville Cannonball. The hotel they used in Petticoat Junction was a real hotel in Oregon, (no traintrack near it) and was where my folks had their honeymoon during the war.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2060 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re:Train Movies
If t.v. is an option, don't forget "The Wild Wild West" (the 1999 movie remake was only so-so). Rare was an episode where they didn't start, end, and visit their special train.

Mike

More
15 years 2 months ago #2064 by bioguyxx
Replied by bioguyxx on topic Re:Train Movies
Three for Bedroom "C". The film was shot exclusively aboard Super Chief passenger cars loaned to the production company by the Santa Fe Railway. Stars Gloria Swanson in her last starring movie role after the success of "Sunset Boulevard". The acting and the script are pretty lame, but the interior footage of the Super Chief doesn't get better than this.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2065 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:Train Movies
"The great train robbery" There are 2 of this IIRC. One is situated in 1903, the other on 1963. Both are great.
"The Cassandra crossing"

More
15 years 2 months ago #2080 by Mattias
Replied by Mattias on topic Re:Train Movies
Not to forget "Once upon a time in the West" with the starting scene at the station. the whole movie is about building a railway.
Mattias

More
15 years 2 months ago #2082 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Train Movies
How about "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. John Wayne flick where he tore up railroads and maid "Sherman Neckties" out of the track.. He hated it cause he was an ex railroadman. And what was that John Wayne movie where these guys uncoupled a wagon and threw a hornets nest inside?
You got to love the train scene in "Oh Brother", along with the handcar. I am still looking for a handcar in Z.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2084 by Socalz44
Kelley, Was that the "War Wagon"? Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
15 years 2 months ago #2116 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Train Movies
I caught a movie last night on HBO On Demand called Rails & Ties. A tear jerker movie starring Kevin Bacon as a railroad engineer involved in an accident and the effect on his family. Movie revolves around an excursion passenger train.

Thanks,

JC
B)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2180 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:Train Movies
"the Emporer of the North" is by far the Best in my book!!!

Hobo Tim

More
15 years 2 months ago #2181 by Socalz44
Hobo Tim, Welcome back. My first place train movie too. Cheers, Jim CCRR:cheer:

More
15 years 2 months ago #2183 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Train Movies
Oh, I remember watching every episode of Petticoat Junction. That train kept coming round that same old bend every week :) Who watched it for the girls and who watched it for the trains? :P

How about the train scenes in Dr. Zhivago? The bad guy (Strelnikov) had his own train.

Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List also have train scenes.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2188 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Train Movies
There was a James Bond movie set in Russia with Peirce Brosnin. The villan also had his own train. I cannot remember what the title of it was, bummer. Can anyone help???

More
15 years 2 months ago #2190 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Train Movies
How about Bridge on the River Kwai? Didn't we all sweat with the characters who set dynamite on the bridge that took so much pain to construct?

Who can forget Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in drag in Some Like it Hot with Marilyn Monroe?

And, um, Murder on the Orient Express :)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2192 by Socalz44
Not to mention Tony Curtis and Sidney Potier in the Defiant Ones. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2193 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Train Movies
Dont forget one of the more recent ones, Inspector Gadget.:laugh:

More
15 years 2 months ago #2200 by Socalz44
John! Please, no more! You're starting to scare the members.;) Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2201 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Train Movies
Now folks, should we not forget THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE, ! ! ! !

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds