Saturday, May 04, 2024

Food for Thought: Stephen A. Green & Sons

More
15 years 1 month ago #3289 by David K. Smith
Food for Thought: Stephen A. Green & Sons was created by David K. Smith
Here's a brief article on kitbashing Lew Skroo's Hardware into a lumber yard:

1-220.blogspot.com/2009/03/straight-bash-or-scratch.html

Hope it sparks some inspiration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3290 by zmon
Hi David, I just finished reading your online kit-bashing artical, and its great!!! Your so right in many of things you said. Quote "Straight kits were not going to cut it, as they fail to impart a sense of orignality" So true. I too like to have my own individuallity expressed in my structures, and always add or remove details from stock kits to give them more personallity. Quote "One of the keys to the process is being able to look past the kit's intended purpose and envision it as something else altogether." I tend to buy kits for this reason. When i see a new kit, i see it more for its parts, and architechtural details and the way i can use it to make projects for my Echo town scene. Sometimes i get lucky (as with Frank's Echo Service Station) and can find a kit or two that are pretty close to what i'm working on, and i can simply re-arange the walls and windows to look right. Other times i use pieces or parts from a kit to get the structure started in the right direction, and then go for it by adding scratch details and other junk till i get what i want (Ute-Lite Loader).

Thanks for posting this link... i too hope you inspire more folks to give kit-bashing and scratch work a try... it's a lot of fun!!!!:woohoo:

Tony B..
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3291 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Food for Thought: Stephen A. Green & Sons
I agree David, there is nothing more terrifying than thinking that another modeler's "Goppingen Station" is your "airport terminal" or something. Buildings are my wife's thing, so far she has mostly re-painted, with one scratchbuild....no real hack/bash yet.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3292 by TerryH
David, that is a super article with a lot of great links. Thank you very much for posting it. I scratch build but lately folks have been buying me kits, which personally never match what I am doing, so I then have to bash them to my likes and needs, No disrespect for the original designer. But this is a hobby, and a hobby should be fun and enjoyable. You do realize, you have pulled me away from what I was doing, I MUST read this before I go back to my work, LOL, thanks.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3293 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Food for Thought: Stephen A. Green & Sons
Thank you for posting your thoughts and insights B) I'm going to add your webistes to my links page, if that's okay with you.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3299 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Food for Thought: Stephen A. Green & Sons
Beverly56 wrote:

Thank you for posting your thoughts and insights B) I'm going to add your webistes to my links page, if that's okay with you.

It's perfectly OK, of course! And I've added A Journey in Z Scale to American Z Scale. Congratulations on an example of fine craftswomanship.

americanzscale.org/list.asp?t=5

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds