Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 04, 2024

Peanut Butter Lid Challenge

More
15 years 1 month ago #3309 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Bev,

There is a vendor in BC that sells some Canadian RR items in N scale. They are produced by MTL. May I suggest you contact Joe D at MTL with some ideas and maybe this guy in BC would be interested in selling some Z scale items. One item they had was the grain carrier in green with some decals of Alberta. Bob Pay build one and was going to offer a kit, but he discovered he needed an authorization because it was trade marked. I hope this doesn't sound to confusing. I saw some pictures on Trainboard, but I cannot locate them now, bummer.

Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3321 by loadmaster
Bev,

I don't know how to edit a entry, so let me do this again. I came upon a site, Pacific Western Rail Systems (www.pwrs.ca) and maybe you might want to check them out. I have sent them several emails requesting they offer their products in Z scale but have never had a reply, bummer.
Maybe since you are in Canada, you will get a response. If there were enough requests for Z scale items, they would comply.

Robert

More
15 years 1 month ago #3327 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions. I just sent an email to pwrs.ca asking if they will be producing the CWB car and other cars in the future. I'll let you know what they say if they answer.

I'm sure having a few loopy days while/since working in overdrive on the March Photo Contest. I keep getting ideas for the PBL Challenge, but so far nothing has solidified. I'm thinking I might get an undecorated MTL 40' double door boxcar, paint it in normal CN brown, weather it and do the PBL diorama from there, although I would have to find someone to do the decals and I don't know who does that kind of work. I also have a secret idea that I can't talk about because it's kind of cool and I haven't seen it done anywhere yet, though I'm sure most train ideas have already been done more than once.

I'll let you know what I find out from pwrs.ca :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3328 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Whatz your Ideaq- we won't tell anyone-:S PROMISE
Fred

More
15 years 1 month ago #3336 by Beverly56
Robert,

This is the reply I got back from pwrs.ca:

To be honest, I cannot say for sure but I think it unlikely. It costs so much to do a mold and so far there are only a couple of companies that actually do that size of model and not many customers either.

In the economic climate that exists worldwide right now, I don't think very many companies are going to go out of their way to create a new line of anything - especially something with such a small market as Z scale trains.

Fred,

Oh, yeah. I'll whisper my secret to you and pretty soon everyone will know :ohmy: If I actually go in that direction, I'll post photos of my progress :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3339 by loadmaster
Let's try this idea. How may modelers would be interested in some Canadian items that this company might offer in Z scale? If they received requests for say 50+ cars, maybe they would be interested. I would like to know if they get their product undecorated from MTL and then they do their own printing.
There is a guy in Oregon, Lowell Smith.net, gets his product from MTL, N scale and has different designs, National Parks, different fruit growing packing houses with the decals like what was on the end of wooden crates. I have sent him several emails but no response about offering his product in Z scale.
It might be worth a try?

More
15 years 1 month ago #3398 by Beverly56
I'm thinking of repainting a caboose and a couple of boxcars and putting logos on them that are different from the original logos. I don't have an air brush and want to paint them with a brush. I'll thin my paint down before applying the paint to the cars. I will also be weathering the cars.

I'd very much appreciate folks passing along tips that might make my cars look great as I repaint them such as to to put over the windows so they don't accidentally get painted.

TIA :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3435 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Robert,

I'm always up for new Canadian cars. Maybe someone on ZCS would like to help out.

Jerry
B)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3436 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
So did we decide it had to be in a Peanutbutter lid?? Since the one in video was HO, one could but a lot of things in Z in a peanutbutter lid.
I am looking at a bottlecap and thinking what kind of scene I could put in that. Oh to have an old time one with real cork liner... At the old general store back home, the driveway was literally paved with those old bottlecaps from untold Nehis and Frosty rootbeers. The Mopac crews used to park their Geeps or U-boats right in front of the store (tracks about 25 yards away) and get their snacks.
I can place my self on those old wooden steps on a hot summers day, barefoot and shirtless, drinking one of those cold Nehis out of that condenser coolers, smelling the creosote of the ties , and waving at the conductor perched up above the big buzzsaw on the Mopac caboose. If there is a heaven, I hope that it will be just like that.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3440 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Bev, I do a lot of repainting. I take apart the cars, take the windows out, and use a very cheap airbrush setup (Testors mighty mini). I can't imagine trying with a brush, it would be terrible. I often use the brush to paint but I wouldn't recommend it for cars.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3456 by Beverly56
Andy,

Thank you for the tips. I'll have to look around for an airbrush, then. Do you use water-based or oil-based paint cars?

Kelley,

I think the 3 1/2" PBL size would be great for doing a Z scale diorama. Since the PBL subject came up, I collected five or six different sizes of lids, all of which re smaller than a PBL and have their pros and cons for the Challenge. I have lids a bit larger the size of a bottle cap you suggest, say juice jug sized. They would be a real challenge to put any type of building on besides an outhouse, for example.

Here is the size rule from the original challenge:

You must create a small diorama in a peanut butter lid, or any other lid as long as the diameter doesn't exceed 4 inch

I think we have a few choices as to size:

A. 3 1/2" diameter PBL, give or take 1/4" for those in continents other than N. America
B. any size that's under 3 1/2" diameter, give or take 1/4"
C. choose a different universal size other than the 3 1/2" PBL, give or take 1/4"

I have two minds about size. It would be cool to have a variety of sizes for the PBL Challenge as long as they don't exceed a certain size, for instance 3 1/2" or 4" diameter. But then I think a specific size levels the playing field in that everyone is working with the same parameters. I already have my 3 1/2" diameter PBL alternative base, but I suppose I could use my alternative base (and her friends :woohoo: ) for my own amusement and do a different diameter lid for this challenge.

How about some discussion on the subject, please?

BTW, [url=http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14991
]here [/url]is the finalists photo page of the original PBL Challenge. From the photos, it appears that not everyone put their diorama in an actual PBL, though I'm sure the sizes are all under the 4" diameter rule.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3457 by Fred

Beverly- 3-1/2" sounds good. I like the top of a paint can-- 32 fl oz. (946ml). That's what I used for the TREE. Clean it up with some steel wool and it gives a nice burnished, finished look. I also put some really big washers , glued to both sides to add weight and heft. The inside Dia is correct-- Plastic does not do it for me.
Fred
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago #3459 by Fred
PS-- couldn't figure out how to open the PBL winners site :blink:

More
15 years 1 month ago #3460 by Fred

I meant to put this in above post but had to resize picture.
Fwed
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3463 by Beverly56
Sorry for the wrong address in the above post. This link works... PBL Challenge Finalists' Photos .

Fred,

A plastic lid can be made to look like oxidized copper or bronze by using a series of special paint-like liquids. I bought mine at the local big box hardware store and they will lasted me through many, many small projects....

- Primer and Sealer, which adheres to all surfaces including plastic as long as they're free of dirt and grease
- Blonde Bronze or Copper Topper Base Coat, buy either one for your project
- Patina Blue Top Coat or Patina Green Top Coat, use either or both with each base coat

Modern Options is the manufacturer of the stuff I have. All are 118 ml or 4 oz and are made in the US. It goes on with a brush or foam, though I like to use a small piece of foam so I can blot out most of the patina before it goes onto the base coat.

I chose a covered glass butter dish for the PBL Challenge so it would be be dust free.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3477 by Fred

Beverly- I'll try to post a ship in a bottle-- sorta like your train in a teapot.
Fred
This one is unfinished maybe 25 years ago and counting. You can see the pull strings coming out from the neck.
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago #3478 by Fred

Sailors knots on neck an bottom
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago #3479 by Fred

See seagull "flying" over ship. Actually there are two- a lighthouse, island, (a whale, and a whaleboat for the neck, that I have finished) but haven't put in yet-- such a procrastinator :S
All meant to represent Whaleship ESSEX- Sunk by a whale and inspired Melville's MOBY DICK.
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3480 by Fred
I myself will build an open air "DUST CATCHER". A MANLYMAN project.
I guess putting it in a teapot is a girl thing.
signed
ANONAMOUSE :laugh:

ONLY KIDDING ;)

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3481 by Beverly56
Nice ship, Fred :) As always your work is great!

Anyway - back to how we want to run the PBL Challenge.
Here are the size choices as I see them (there may be more that we want to explore, so add them if you want):

A. 3 1/2" diameter PBL, give or take 1/4" for those in continents other than N. America.
B. Any size that's under 3 1/2" diameter, give or take 1/4".
C. Choose a different universal size other than the 3 1/2" PBL, give or take 1/4".

Let's quiet the chatter for a few days so we can have an informal vote for the rules of the PBL Challenge. Please select A, B or C - even if you don't intend to participate.

Thanks!

My vote is.
A. 3 1/2" diameter PBL, give or take 1/4" for those in continents other than N. America,
with the amendment that an actual peanut butter lid does not have to be used
as long as the substitute base is 3 1/2' give or take 1/4"

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds