Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 04, 2024

Lets see some big pictures!

• zcentral
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1090 by zcentral
Lets see some big pictures! was created by zcentral
Ok now that we can load images up to 1600 pixels wide into the forum lets see some of your biggest and best!!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1092 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!
Here is one of my favorites from layouts past. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)
Attachments:

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1096 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!
:S Jim, I get a pop up saying image size too big-- How bout a TOOT torial on how to do this??
Fred-- After the Holidays:side:

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1097 by Socalz44
Fred, Try this: Set your camera two it's lowest megapixel setting. Something around 680x480. Load the picture in your photo program and try again. I bet it works. If you are using photos with a 2000x 1600mp then you are probably not going to get them to load. This would include all of you older photos you may have taken over the year. You may have to retake some at the lower mp settings. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)
Attachments:

• zcentral
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #1098 by zcentral
Replied by zcentral on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!
Impressive photos Jim!

More
15 years 4 months ago #1100 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!

Set your camera two it's lowest megapixel setting. Something around 680x480. Load the picture in your photo program and try again. I bet it works. If you are using photos with a 2000x 1600mp then you are probably not going to get them to load. This would include all of you older photos you may have taken over the year. You may have to retake some at the lower mp settings.

There is no need to take or retake your photo's at a lower resolution. After all we have a PC. Take your pictures for your enjoyment at the highest resolution you can. Then load them in your favorite editor or viewer and change the resolution. The pc will then change the resolution to something lower like 640x480 or 800x600 like you tell it to do. Don't do the same work twice.

The tool to do this can have different names in different applications. Look for something like "change size", "resample", "resize" etc. Then "save as" and give it a different name so you don't overwrite your original in high res, then you can still enjoy it in full resolution on your monitor or when making a print.

Depending on the application you may need to apply a bit of "sharpening" to offset the loss in resolution. Look for "sharpen", "unsharp mask" etc and play a bit with the settings. All applications (and photo's!!) react different.

Very probably the applications that came with your camera can do this, play a bit with them. If nothing else helps: read the manual :blush: If you don't have something on your pc right now, then try Irfanview or gimp if you use windows, gimp or krita if you use linux. No idea if you can do this on a mac :P

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1101 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!
this is really brilliant - I am really happy about it
thanks Brad!!!
Chris

ps Jim you have given the same (incorrect) advice about the way to handle photo sizes at least three times on this forum :)
previously corrected by Zthek, myself etc and now Havoc
so let's repeat it once and for all - take pictures at the highest size and quality that you can,
keep the originals safe,
and than use software to prepare (ie resize, correct, edit, crop etc) copies for publication

Having said all this - you are forgiven Jim ;) because your pics are brilliant and you are great layout builder
(so stick to what you know :P )

Brad - really big thank you for sorting this out!
The forum is at last back to where it was
Will have to think about proper posting now B)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1103 by Fred
Thanks to all for trying to help this old sea dog. I'll see if I can learn a few new tricks pertaining to foto manipulation. I am having trouble with this camera-olympus stylus 300- just keeping the lens from closing down on me before being able to take a picture. The cat ate the instruction manual-- read that-- "Can't find directions". I'm sure this thread will be of assistance to others down the tracks.
Again thanks for quick response.
Fred
Z Central just keeps getting better-- With the new format, some may think it's a shadow of the previous site-- but the Archives has saved most of the early information, and in time and new members ZCS is one thing in Z that is going to be REALLY BIG!

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1104 by Socalz44
Hi Chris, Still don't want to give any wrong advice. Reading through this I find that my photo program does NOT allow me to downsize photos. I get what I take at any given megapixel size. I figured Fred may have the same issues so I gave another way around HIS problem. I'm not sure how my advice is wrong if it sorts out his problem. My photos are always taken at 1600x1200 for this site specifically. For publication, like the next issue of Ztrack, they are taken at 3400x2800 or what ever my highest setting is. My old photos taken at this high setting are not showing up in this Forum section. I too continue to get the same message Fred does. Go figure? I don't have the time or patience to get another program to do my downsizing and I don't figure Fred wishes to go that route either, hense the advice to simply take photo within known megapixel working parameters. My answer was to Fred not the general population, most of which have this all sorted out. Remember, Fred has had 'photo' issues as long as you and I have been members here. Happy Holidays, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1105 by bambuko
Socalz44 wrote:

...I don't have the time or patience to get another program to do my downsizing and I don't figure Fred wishes to go that route either, hense the advice to simply take photo within known megapixel working parameters. My answer was to Fred not the general population...

understand :)
and as long as it is between Fred and you ;) you guys carry on doing it the way works for you guys
for the rest of the members - Havoc's advice is spot on B)
have fun
Chris

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1106 by Socalz44
Chris, I agree. Of course the 'other' reason for a post to Fred is also help others who may be in the same boat. Havoc's advice is correct for all, but may not apply to the other 2%. Happy Holidays, Jim CCRR :) So let's see some photos everyone.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1107 by Fred
Didn't mean to cause any controversy. Since my problem is my problem I'll refrain from asking assistance in the future- ( Thought that was what the forums was all about) I don't have a problem posting pictures in the REGULAR foto section, but will truncate that also.
2%

More
15 years 4 months ago #1108 by bambuko
Fred, you didn't cause any problem or controversy and if you stop asking questions and stop sharing I will feel guilty for this misunderstanding.
I have infinite patience and would be most happy to assist in any way you need - just got the impression that Jim's advice is more in tune with your needs ;)
So please ask :dry: and don't truncate anything

Chris

More
15 years 4 months ago #1109 by Socalz44
Fred, Come on. You and I are in this together. I have and receive the same error messages you do. There is no controversy. We are simply clarifying that you and I and just a few others are having some difficulty with some of the photo apps. This is not a big deal. If Chris, or Lajos, or Havoc, could sit down at my computer and sort me and the other 2% out I would welcome their efforts. In the meantime we ALL are working together for the common good. You shouldn't be upset, you and I have the same wee problems. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1110 by Havoc
I don't see a problem in making a short "course" in using some free tool like Irfanview for doing simple photo manipulations. Maybe a thread with a few screenshots and a bit of text would be enough for this. Doesn't need more than where to find it, installation, and basic manipulation like crop, rescale and sharpen (and save). If you can wait a bit as I have a few jobs to do in house that can not wait (like organising a move...). I'm not an expert either, this won't be magazine print quality work, just how to make a pic suitable for web viewing.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1111 by Socalz44
I'm ready. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1112 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:Lets see some big pictures!
Jim,
This has nothing to do with picture size, but in looking at your first picture with the stream......is that a Baby Ruth candy wrapper I see along the South bank? Shame on you for letting bums camp out and not picking up their trash.

Seriously, this is a good topic and I've always held to the theory that you should take the highest resolution pictures you possibly can. If you're going to photo shoot something you certainly want to be able to submit it to Z Track or any other magazine for consideration and the better quality the picture, the better chance you have of seeing your picture in print.

We spend lots of money on our trains, certainly we ought to spend a few bucks on good software that will allow us to resize our photos if need be.

Go pick up that wrapper.
Lroen

More
15 years 4 months ago #1113 by Socalz44
Hi Loren, I agree. It looks like one of the careless trout fishermen from Oregon left it! Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1114 by bambuko
tealplanes wrote:

...We spend lots of money on our trains, certainly we ought to spend a few bucks on good software that will allow us to resize our photos if need be...

I'd rather spend money on my toys than software, so it is good to know that the best piece of software to do the job irfanview is totally free.
So it's more about willingness and ability to embrace new technology and time needed to learn how to use it.
Havoc's offer to prepare small howto is to be applauded and I will support him in any way I can.
So:
let's fine rotate the picture to keep horizon horizontal
let's crop/trim the picture to frame it the best
lets' resize it to fit
lets' adjust colours if necessary
let's sharpen it if necessary
keep the original file if you want
and use adjusted copy for posting on ZCentral B)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1115 by Havoc
Okay, I'll try to make something basic this year. Maybe others can add later. But at the moment I have to plan a move that takes priority as it has to be done this year. It won't be that urgent I guess.

Irfanview may not be the best software, but it is free and has other uses as well and knows a lot of fileformats.

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds