Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver

More
11 years 11 months ago #13630 by stonysmith
National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver was created by stonysmith
I'm starting a thread here for the 2012 Convention..

The convention is looking like it's going to be a fun event. Thursday was a day for Module and Booth setup, and all the exhibitors were working to get everything setup. I uploaded some pictures that I took thru the day, you can see the progress from empty room forward. Zocal, Sozme, and Mister Dave all have modules in place and running trains. There's a couple of standalone displays and I haven't caught their names yet.

One note about the pictures.. there are some of them that are rotated sideways, and I didn't have time yet to fix the angle. Also, if any of the shots particularly out of focus or fuzzy.. please click on the "report to moderator" button so that I can go back and take down any really bad ones... I just did a mass upload out of my camera.

I'll also try to post some "Headlines" from the convention as we go along here. Anyone else that catches any headines.. please fee free to help.

- To put to rest any "vaporware" concerns, Intermountain Hoppers ARE here available for purchase. I had a LifeSaver car in my hands yesterday, but Graham Jones (from England) who had just purchased it said I couldn't steal it from him. :S

- Sandi's Construction is is selling a small set finished models that are RTR, and they look good.

Friday should bring a number of announcements... more come...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #13636 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver
Just to let the secret out..

Karin Snyder and David K Smith are both in attendance at the show.
David brought the G&D and the James River Branch layouts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.JA

More
11 years 11 months ago #13638 by Mr.JA

stonysmith wrote: David brought the G&D and the James River Branch layouts.

I'm curious as to how DKS transported his two amazing layouts... surface or air? Either way... Did he have special cases for them? Photos, please! ;)

More
11 years 11 months ago #13639 by markm
For those who asked "who's Sandi?" from the floor layout information. I had a chance to talk to her. She's actually been doing custom designs and builds of layouts and structures for a number of years. Check out the article on her work in "Hand Built -- Custom Constructed" from the Sept 2003 issue of Ztrack.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #13640 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver

Mr.JA wrote:

stonysmith wrote: David brought the G&D and the James River Branch layouts.

I'm curious as to how DKS transported his two amazing layouts... surface or air? Either way... Did he have special cases for them? Photos, please! ;)

I built custom shipping crates for them, and they were flown in by Federal Express. The layouts are on display inside custom Plexiglas cases, and they have their own lighting systems. It was a good thing, too, because the lighting in this convention center is terrible, like being in perpetual twilight.

More
11 years 11 months ago #13641 by N/A
Mark,

Can you post that article from 2003 for those of us who don't hold on to our issues of Ztrack Magazine?

John

More
11 years 11 months ago #13642 by N/A
Stony,

Is there a special photo folder that people at Denver are posting photos to?

John

More
11 years 11 months ago #13643 by N/A
Stony,

Disregard my question, I found these instructions from Fredd Ladd on Trainboard: "On Z Central Station there are over 370 fotos of the Convention as it progresses. Stony has taken 241 at the Colorado Train Museum and 129 at the set up at the convention. These can be accessed by going to Z Central Station--place mouse on "Media"- a drop down will appear- Hit "Gallery"--scroll down below Most Viewed-etc and Hit either RAIL MUSEUM or NZCS DENVER 2012 under the heading of 6 newest galleries. The show Really starts today so we expect additional fotos this evening. Stony- as our national correspondant- also has a running forum with additional comments and insight. We hope to hear about all the new releases and up coming Z Stuff."

John

More
11 years 11 months ago #13644 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver
Sounds like everyone had a good time. Thanks for all the photos. Jim

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #13646 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver
Gang!!! Sorry for being AWOL, but I plan to have 300+ photos from 2012 NZSC! You will see some cool and exciting products, layouts, modules, scratchbuilt(s) and Z!

2012 NZSC contest winners are:
David K Smith - "Best of Show" for James River Branch.
Henri Seynaeve - "Best Module"
John Kellett - "Best Diorama" for Three Stooges DVD Diorama.
Benoit Jean - "Best Rollingstock" for Crane Car.
Benoit Jean - "Best Structure" for Ralphies Place from The Christmas Story.
David Freehling - "Best Diesel Engine"
David Freehling - "Best Steam Engine"
John Kellett - "Best Consist" for custom U.S. Army set.
Joe D'Amato - "Best Weathered Freight/Locomotive"

Photos will follow, plus look for new kits from Animek!!!!

It was great meeting everyone who frequents ZCS, and meeting new Z scalers for the first time.

John

More
11 years 11 months ago #13648 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver
John,
Can you post or is ther a way to view the pictures in a slideshow format. Clicking on 300 pictures is hard on the fingers.
Thanks,
Robert

More
11 years 11 months ago #13649 by markm
Robert,
Try using the (>) button in the center below the image.
Mark

More
11 years 11 months ago #13650 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re: National Z Scale Convention 2012 - Denver
Thanks Mark,
I discovered that button after I posted the msg. This morning I clicked on every picture until my fingers got numb. Then I jumped into the car and drove to the Fullerton RR Days event and ran trains all day.
One thing that would be helpful at these events is a printed list of sources for trains, scenic items and build kits that can be handed ot the visitors. I must have answered over 200 questions of "Where can I buy these, would you sell me yours."
After telling visitors that a lot of us purchase on the internet since there are very few local sources, then the question is "Can you suggest a source for me."
Robert

More
11 years 11 months ago #13652 by markm
Robert,
If you are looking for a list to take back with you tomorrow, I'm not aware of a current list. It would be a good idea to come up with a 2012 list, but it can be a bit touchy to post since everyone has there favorite sources and since I've yet to encounter a "bad" source, embrassing to leave good sources out.
But since we are on the Z Scale Convention topic, I'd suggest starting with the convention sponsors at: www.nzsc.org/Sponsors.html. Also you check out the "Where to buy Z" forum thread here.

Hope this helps,
Mark

More
11 years 9 months ago #13953 by GNFan
I have (finally!) posted photos from the 2012 Z-scale convention in Denver.

Awkwardly, none of the photos save one involve Denver itself (a distant view from the Rockies). Instead, they are views from the train, the Coast Starlight (Seattle to Sacramento, and back), and the California Zephyr (Sacramento to Denver, and back).

Lots of views of spectacular scenery. Some show shifts from one combination of colors to another and then back, or to something else, in a very short time. Shifting colors not prototypical? Not here!

These photos, and several other albums (other conventions and events) are at:

gnfan.shutterfly.com/

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds