Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

Am i the Only one that does this?

More
15 years 4 months ago #958 by Kelley
Am i the Only one that does this? was created by Kelley
Just want to know..does anyone else wear an engineer hat?
I actually have an old pair of striped overalls and hat, that I wear when I go to train shows in Europe. I guess it is kinda goofy but people know, (if they know what it is) that I am into American railroading. I have seen a couple of people wearing the traditional German leather engineer hat, and even some wearing old railroad uniforms.
This used to be a stereotype of model railroaders, Guys in basements with funny hats. Am I the only one that does this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #959 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
To be honest...you're the only one that I heard of. I haven't seen anyone "dressed up" on a train show, model or 1:1. With live steam people wear overalls and a grease hat, but that is just as well for practical reasons as coal and oil from exhaust are messy. But at Eurospoor or something like that I haven't seen it yet.

More
15 years 4 months ago #960 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
Kelley, At my ten years of trainshows I've noticed only a few engine caps. Usually these are around the Lego or children oriented displays. While I wouldn't wear the bibs or the hat I don't see what would be wrong to display one's enthusiasm for the hobby this way. It is really no different than supporting one's team by wearing their gear to a game is it? Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #962 by Dampflok
Replied by Dampflok on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
Hi. Well, I have two uniforms with caps though there is some doubt as to whether they actually match up with each other. One is an Austrian station mater's cap and jacket. The other cap is a German ( DB ) Dispatcher's cap. Don't know what the other jacket is. For a photo (I have problems posting images here) have a look at trains.manvell.org.uk/exhibitions/20081122-Elgin/. So, you are not alone (well, almost).

All the best,
Chris.

More
15 years 5 days ago #4172 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
Im off to the show in Dortmund and will be wearing my engineer outfit. I was just wondering where I could get proper gauntlet gloves?
In the old general store back home, (long gone) one could find these gloves with a star on the gauntlets, just like the engineers on TV and movies had. They also had miners lunch buckets, also a thing of the past.
Don't even say Google or internet..unless you have a website, as I have been looking for a while.
Yes I know if I was between 3 and 8 years old I would never run out of engineer outfits.
So folks, if you know of some Sam Drucker type store that has gloves for Charlie and Floyd types, please let me know...
Kelley

More
15 years 4 days ago #4175 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
Don in our multiscale club wears striped bibs and striped cap to the shows. He also blows a wooden train whistle. I don't know if he carries a pocket watch. I have a striped cap but don't wear it often.

More
15 years 4 days ago #4186 by Torsja
Replied by Torsja on topic Re:Am i the Only one that does this?
Here is a friend off mine in Norway who uses a train cap US style on shows.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds