Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, May 06, 2024

A great time to be in Z!

More
14 years 8 months ago #5869 by ztrack
A great time to be in Z! was created by ztrack
Tonight as I sit here working on upcoming issues of Ztrack Magazine and packaging AZL orders, I took stock of the past two months of Z scale. It is definitely a very exciting time! In the past few months, we have seen new tooling from no less than four Z scale manufacturers.

Here is the US, Full Throttle kicked off the new tooling with their 70 ton off-set side three-bay hoppers. These cars are fabulous! They really hit right in an interesting era of model railroading history and will be featured in a wealth of fallen flag roads. Of course, as a DT&I fan, FT really made me happy last month!

Micro-Trains long awaiting SD40-2 locomotive hit the market in another of my favorite roads... CSX. I have been fortunate to be able to test and work with these locos for the past few weeks. They are very nice and I personally can't wait to see more road names released. We will have full review in an upcoming issue of Ztrack, but again it is just wonderful to have new locomotive tooling from MTL.

Just yesterday, American Z Line released their 4-Bay ACF covered hoppers. AZL continues to fuel the modern era with new releases that can still be seen on the rails today. These are a very good compliments to their ACF 3-Bay hoppers released earlier this year.

Unfortunately, our European Z scalers have not seen the wealth of new tooling this year. Marklin issues have definitely affected this. But fortunately companies like FR are moving forward. The Swiss K3 boxcar is all new tolling with an injection body over a nickel-silver chassis.

So, in the past two months, four new releases based on all new tooling! I remember a time not too long ago when we would wait years for new tooling. Of course this is just a tip of an iceberg. For instance, AZL is gearing up for a whole slew of new locomotives and freight cars in the next year. Even Marklin has a new locomotive planned (the Ludmilla).

To cap it all off, we have the Z Convention in Medford next year. The convention is coming at an ideal time for the Z community since a flood of new items will have been released by time the doors to the MTL factory open. I can't wait to head to Medford! We know the recession has been difficult and many of you have cut back on your purchasing and involvement in the hobby, but Z is going strong. This is definitely a great time to be in Z.

For those in the US, have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5884 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
Rob,
Just when I was calming down from a three day trip to LA to drop off Dizzyland, and relaxing a bit and "not" thinking of Z for a change, I go and read your posting and now I'm all jazzed up again. This convention will be a lot of fun and now I'll have a hard time getting to sleep no matter how tired I am, all because you mentioned the new products and upcoming events..............you did that on purpose didn't you ;)

Truth be told, I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed while Karin took her turn at the wheel, just thinking about a new Z project I have been toying with. Just another goal for NTS 2011.

While in LA we visited with Lajos Thek, passed through San Jose and said "Hi" to Kim Vellore, and this morning we snuck in a few minutes with Robert Ray as we headed North. Our trip though fun was all business and we didn't have time to go South to visit with Jim O'Connell as we had wanted to. Jim is thinking we are allergic to him, but he was just too far South for us this time. Too much in too short a time.

It never stops does it? I guess that is why I'm never bored......just over booked in Z scale
Loren

More
14 years 7 months ago #5885 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
By comparison with 18 months ago we mightn't be living in good times now, but 12 to 18 months or so ago we were living in a fools paradise. So, while from one perspective now mightn't be the ideal time to be in Z, it's still a good time to be in the scale. My personal view is that any time is a good time to be in Z scale, even if we can't buy a thing. And I say that as a Marklin buyer - even with their troubles and the shadow of the possibility that the reconstituted company will drop Z. Mind you, I don't believe that will happen - I'm only repeating comments seen elsewhere.

I for one am looking forward to seeing Ludmilla when she's released next year and there's the Senator, which is supposed to be delivered in a couple of months (I have an order in). And don't forget that M* re-released the mighty Br 53 - I bought one and it runs as well as anything they've made in the past. And that's saying something!

Yes, it's a great time to be in Z!

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #5888 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
I too am excited about the Ludmilla. Just have sticker shock. Same with the new DB ICE-3. I think it will take some years for the prices of these to come down...or some years for me to save for them :)

Anyways, great to see the modern stuff.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5889 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!

Unfortunately, our European Z scalers have not seen the wealth of new tooling this year. Marklin issues have definitely affected this.

I'm getting very pessimistic about Marklin. It is now 6 months I'm waiting for my order. Nothing special or new, all items that are already several years in the calalogue. h0 is arriving but no Z.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5890 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
Johan, I feel your pain. Other that the two North American 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 I'm little affected. For Euro modelers this is not good. Very little Z will be forthcoming probably through next year. Until Marklin gets it's financials settled and a new management Z will always be at the bottom of the list. Of course there is the possibility that due to company streamlining and downsizing Z may be discontinued... Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
14 years 7 months ago #5900 by Havoc

Of course there is the possibility that due to company streamlining and downsizing Z may be discontinued... Cheers, Jim CCRR

I don't feel very re-assured by your use of "cheers" in that sentence...LOL

Seriously, I never had the impression Z was important for Marklin. It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it. Or just keep the tools running until they break.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5901 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
My understanding is that Z makes up about 10% of Marklin's sales, and that a high proportion of those sales are to the German-speaking world. Perhaps our German members could correct me on this.

My impression is that M* are in cost cutting mode and that Z production is bearing a lot of the brunt of that. It'd be a brave producer who would cut off10% of their sales, especially with the buyers concentrated so close to home.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Marklin large scales? Are they in a similar position?

More
14 years 7 months ago #5902 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
Actually, Z is and has been important to Marklin. You just have to look at all of the new tooling they invest in the scale. Even this year, with the Ludmilla we see yet another all new locomotive. They definitely keep pushing the scale. Now here is an interesting fact. Just a few years ago, Marklin sold more Z scale starter sets here in the US than they sold HO. This is during the same period Marklin's incredible Big Boy was first released and was getting much attention from the US model train community. I also know that Marklin has plan for many more new and exciting Z releases, but I just don't know when they will happen. The change of ownership has definitely affected the company.

Another interesting note is that control of the Z line has moved from Marklin proper to the Trix division. There are many in Marklin who want ownership back away from Trix. Even though Trix is owned by Marklin, I get the impression the act independently.

I think the biggest challenge for Marklin Z is that there must be a change in thinking. Z is not just for collectors and small layouts. It is for modules, large layotus and operators. If Marklin embraces this concept, we will see some wonderful releases. Imagine heavy locos pulling tons of cars... not a GG! that is too light to pull itself.

My fingers are really crossed for Marklin. Z needs them and wants them. Of course I have person reasons since I model and operate both US and European Z. I just love my trains! Today, we see Z ramping up in the US and Japan, it is now Europe time.

Rob

More
14 years 7 months ago #5904 by Havoc

Today, we see Z ramping up in the US and Japan, it is now Europe time.

I'm afraid europe is h0 and little else. When I go here to a train/layout exposition then there is about 90% h0. The remaining 10% is split in 70% N, 20% large scale (mainly 0, some I and IIm) and then there is sometimes some Z. Germany/Switserland is a bit better but not much. But then these are the only countries that have some stock modelled in Z and most modellers are "patriotic" in their modelling.

Most probably the reason Z is doing well in the US is that there are native brands that focus on US models. The Marklin US range isn't that interesting. They have been making F7's in whatever colour you can imagine since 1980 or so but little else.

I think the biggest challenge for Marklin Z is that there must be a change in thinking. Z is not just for collectors and small layouts.

I think first the modellers have to change thinking and switch to running Z instead of collecting. Whenever I hear Z mentioned it is in combination with: "not detailed enough", "not realistic", "not reliable enough", "track and wheels too large", "not to scale" etc.

Big problem is that you cannot give Z in the hands of a 6 year old that gets it first train. Those kids want a train they can play with. You know, load some cars on a flat or small lego blocks and run them around on the living room carpet. Try that with Z. Once they are old enough to appreciate, they already have a base in another scale and rarely switch. Most Z modellers come to it or later in life as a first train or when they re-discover trains after they got rid of the stuff of their youth.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6017 by Havoc
Went to the shop where I placed that order today and had a chat with the owner. He had a Marklin rep in last week and apparantly:
- Marklin only starts production of an item when they have enough orders to sell a complete production batch
- they take back items from shops and redistribute such stock to help out a bit
- the shops have to pay the "caretaker" (I don't recall the correct term, the guy that leads the company during their bankrupcy), not the factory
- there is interest from about 5 companies for a takeover but they first want to clear the Knightsbridge mess
- Z is interesting for them as it is a product with good profitablility
- lots of companies doing accesories (scenery etc) are holding back on Z as long as there is no serious news about Marklin

More
14 years 7 months ago #6097 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
ztrack wrote:

I think the biggest challenge for Marklin Z is that there must be a change in thinking. Z is not just for collectors and small layouts. It is for modules, large layotus and operators. If Marklin embraces this concept, we will see some wonderful releases. Imagine heavy locos pulling tons of cars... not a GG! that is too light to pull itself.

I do agree.... Furthermore as I'm spending time on a few Z-scale related forums, one of my wonders is seeing nobody from Marklin's headquarters on the forums... Is there a better way to feel the market than wandering on the forums? From AZL, yourself Rob as well as H Riddervold are present. For MTL Joe d'Amato is present here and elsewhere. Harald Freudenreich, Robert Ray and others are very faithful to the forums.

But from Marklin, nobody....

Dom

More
14 years 7 months ago #6100 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
Hello Dominique,

dominique wrote:

ztrack wrote:one of my wonders is seeing nobody from Marklin's headquarters on the forums...

I agree with you that this is a very good way to get to know what is going on, and I also agree that it is very wise to join discussions or even start those like Joe DAmato sometimes does.
But about Mr. Faulhaber who is working at Maerklin since over 25 years was mentioned that he is reading in the ZFE board. He was also at the Z-meeting in Geseke in 2008 as a representative of Maerklin, and is also personally interested in Z.
One last note: Mr. Faulhaber has nothing to do with those Faulhaber motors, it is just an coincidence that he has the same lastname.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 7 months ago #6102 by Havoc
This is an english language forum! I'm not surprised not to see here anyone from marklin, I would call it a miracle if a german firm would lower themselves to use any other language than german. Germany is the world for them, the market is large enough to support and is the only they care for.

I tried a few times a german forum, did my best to write german, appologised for my bad german and got 0 replies. Just like other foreigners, if you're not from there you don't get in. Often if you write to a german company in english (for professional purpose) you don't get a reply.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6104 by ULie
Hello Johan,
Havoc wrote:

I would call it a miracle if a german firm would lower themselves to use any other language than german.

wel, then miracles happens in the firm where I work. My bosses only talk about "business turn around" and "corporate identity" and other words from a bull.... bingo card... :-)

I tried a few times a german forum, did my best to write german, appologised for my bad german and got 0 replies. Just like other foreigners, if you're not from there you don't get in.

Which forum was that? I knew that on ZFE lately a few non German writing people are writing messages, and also get replies.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 7 months ago #6107 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
HEHE..I love those guys over on the ZFE forum. They really are a great bunch and I have met most of them personally..but some of them get mad if I write in English..Even if I am addressing sombody in particular that I know speaks english well, and I can only make my point in english..Oh well..I just butcher the language of Goethe and Shiller :ohmy: and be done with it..My problem is, I was using my VERY educated Frau to answer, at first, and they thought I was the smart one:laugh:
When I get in a pinch, I can count on Uwe to bail me out:P .

More
14 years 7 months ago #6131 by ULie
Kelley wrote:

When I get in a pinch, I can count on Uwe to bail me out:P .

Just be careful, because I only try to do what I can..
...and if I can't say it English I might try it in Danish... :P :P

...og jeg håber også vi to ses en gang i fremtiden...

...well, I'm counting on Geseke in 2010, that's not to far in the future anyway...:)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 7 months ago #6132 by Havoc

wel, then miracles happens in the firm where I work. My bosses only talk about "business turn around" and "corporate identity" and other words from a bull.... bingo card...

For that kind of use maybe, but what if he got an email in english? Or what about the company website?

The forum about pipe organs was the worst.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #6133 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:A great time to be in Z!
OHOH Pipe organs..Yea good luck ..probably only 3 people in Germany left that could fix one, not that they would. I have a small hand cranked monkey organ (stop snickering) that is theoretically fixed by the same people, but I am WAY beneath their contempt.
Still send me a PM and i will get back with you if you need help with that problem.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6134 by ULie
Hello Johan,
Havoc wrote:

but what if he got an email in english?

well, I don't know about our big boss, but my department boss sometimes comes and asks me... B)

Or what about the company website?

see for yourself: Fette , but you are right smaller companies often have problems communicating in foreign languages.

But to come back to the topic of this. It is a great time to be in Z, and Dominique is also right that Maerklin at least openly doesn't shows up in the different forums. But as I wrote they are reading at least in the ZFE forum, and in so far they are almost even with MTL where Joe DAmato is active in the English speaking forums.

Also right is that the current development of Z is done by MTL as the main manufacturer at one side and a lot of smaller or completely independent private manufacturers all around the globe. Maerklin currently has to deal with more basic issues. As we can read here the company currently works at least with no loss, but the money owed before they went into insolvency isn't paid yet. Therefore they need an investor.
That there are so many people developing in Z is a great push forward for the scale. The main problem I see in this is that those people often produces items for the advanced modeler. What we also need is a big push toward the beginner, those who haven't heard a thing about Z before. And one of my pet issues here is that we need a more complete inventory in the MTL Z track system. Especially because in this system a real flex track or adjustable element isn't easy possible. Customizing an standard element to a special size is not for the real beginner, this first comes in the second or third grade of the trade... B)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds