Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Where can i buy a power pack or adapter?

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3357 by alvaro
Hello
I few days ago i was thinking about purchasing a Micro-train or AZL Z train set, but all those trains worked on 110 Volt and as many european countries the voltage is about 220 V, can anybody help me and tell what can i do to resolve the problem, with or without adapter or another brand of power pack?
Thanks so much
Álvaro:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3358 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Where can i buy a power pack or adapter?
Alvaro, I think the best is the Z Thek Snail Speed controller. If you can get a transformer to produce 9-10 volts, then feed it to the controller, you have the best available.

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3360 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:Where can i buy a power pack or adapter?
Alvaro is talking about power pack, not controller... so you are just confusing him andyjbj :P
Alvaro, many modern power supplies will accept either 110V or 220V - just look at your notebook power supply and you will see it accepts multivoltage.
It has been discussed before re DCC power supplies (my NEC runs on the original US power pack, here in UK - just needed to change pin layout)
So the first thing I would do is to check with AZL whether power pack supplied with the the train set is capable of that?
Other problem is of course plug pin layout - US is different to Portugal I guess, so even if the voltage will be OK, you might still have to buy new power pack or adapter ... :S

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3366 by alvaro
Replied by alvaro on topic Re:Where can i buy a power pack or adapter?
You're right Chris
Thanks anyway andyjbj, maybe after i can think about the speed controller.
I already have 3 powerPacks, but 2 are from my H0 layout (Bachmann & Jouef) and the third is from my Nscale Layout (Fleischmann) maybe those power packs can work with the AZL or Micro-Trains models?, if yes i don't need to change the pins, who knows, as you said i must see in the back of my powerpacks the multivoltage.
I know that the pins in Portugal are differents than Uk and USA, but are the same in France, Germany, Italy, spain, etc...
Thanks
Álvaro :)

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3367 by zmon
Alvaro, The power packs you have should work fine as long as you limit the DC voltage to no more than 10volts to zny Z loco. You can do this very simply be hooking up your mulit-meter to the track outputs and test the voltage. Make a mark with a piece of tape or a marker to indicate the 10volt DC spot. Don't go over it!!!

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
15 years 4 weeks ago - 15 years 4 weeks ago #3369 by bambuko
alvaro wrote:

...maybe after i can think about the speed controller...
Álvaro :)

and here again, the advice about Z-thek is fine, but since you are here in Europe, you might be better off getting Jorger. They are absolutely brilliant - just need 9-12V DC supply (you can even use 9V battery) and of course you can get them in Euros rather than in USD

BTW - do any of these train sets come with power supply and speed controllers?

Your existing powerpacks will be fine for Jorger (as long as they supply stabilised min 500mA at 9-12V)

And finally let's make sure we are talking about the same things :)
power pack - supplies DC to speed controller
speed controller - supplies DC to your model train

When you say that you already have "power packs" from N or HO, are you talking about power packs or combined power packs with speed controller?

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3371 by alvaro
Yes, yes Chris, those are combined powerpacks with speed controller

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3372 by bambuko
In which case I would be very careful before considering using them in Z.
Yes I know you can restrict output, but to be honest (in my opinion) it is asking for trouble, and just think how upset you will be (and how much will it cost) when you burn your Z loco motor.
Most typical model railway power supplies / controllers tend to be very rough and un-stabilised.
My very strong (personal) advice - if you are going to stick to DC (as opposed to DCC) - get yourself a Jorger speed controller
They are only €39 plus €15 for power pack (definitely suitable for Europe ;) )
Alternatively get similar power pack locally

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3373 by alvaro
Thanks for the advices guys!
Maybe i will take a look to the Jorger website.
Many thanks again
Álvaro

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3376 by ULie
Hello Álvaro,

alvaro wrote:

I know that the pins in Portugal are differents than Uk and USA, but are the same in France, Germany, Italy, spain, etc...

maybe if you try EBay. I have the original white Märklin transformers (power pack with controller). Those are expensive if you buy them in normal retail, but on EBay you often find them either alone or in a start pack. Actually I bought two complete start packs via EBay just because I wanted the transformers.

For better operation especially in slow speeds of course the Jörger DELuxe or the ZThek controller are better.

Another way would be to look out for the Passmann FR1 from Oliver Passmann from Germany.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #3378 by zthek
Alvaro, what about to get one free? I have a few "open box (package?)" universal controllers. What you only need is a basic 220V AC to 9V DC, 500-750 mA power adapter with 2.1mm plug (+ polarity on the outside of plug). This controller can run from the power supply or a 9V battery. E-mail me your address off forum.

Lajos :)

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds