Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Makerbot 3D Printer evolution

More
11 years 6 months ago #14321 by animek
Makerbot 3D Printer evolution was created by animek
At the Denver convention, I was asked if the Makerbot 3D printer was a good tool to built Zscale, my response was, not so much because of it's resolution limits, I followed Makerbot's progress since 2009, and I was not interested into their products mostly because of the size limitation (resolution problems) that their (Homemade) machine could create stuff with. But after seeing yesterday's announcement, Wow! they have made great progress, Makerbot Replicator2 plus with their Replicator 2"X" in development, they now have my full attention, especially at $2,200 per machine and with a precision of 100 micron, that's 0.004" :woohoo:
Shapeways with their Frosted Ultra Detail is currently at 0.3mm (FUD) 0.012" (Stony you're welcome to intervene here)

So I'll be monitoring Makerbot process and see the possibilities.... :P

Ben

My web site: www.animekmodels.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #14322 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution
Ben,

This sure looks promising, but knowing nothing about such procedures, I'm just expressing my hope that something like this will improve our options for tiny products.

Yes, I'm interested in seeing what Stony has to say about this. He will no doubt have some interest in this.

What say Stony?

More
11 years 6 months ago #14323 by animek
Replied by animek on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution
And by monitoring, I mean issues like this ( sag platform ) because at the scale we work with, those tiny details in the precision of the machine can be catastrophic.

Ben

My web site: www.animekmodels.com

More
11 years 6 months ago #14324 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution

animek wrote: ... with a precision of 100 micron ....
Shapeways .. is currently at 0.3mm

Close, but not quite.

First, let me say: this new printer definitely has posibilites.. and MAY work for the Z world.
If ANYBODY wants to buy one and have it shipped to my address for evaluation, I live in Grapevine, Texas...

Shapeways FUD material has a "minimum wall thickness" (walls) of 0.3mm, and a "minimum detail" (rivets) of 0.1mm. I'm not completely sure, but the FUD machine may well have a "precision" of somewhere around half of that - 0.05mm. It takes a couple of layers on top of each other to make a rivet stick out from the surface by 0.1mm, and six or more layers to make a wall strong enough to support itself.

Therefore, this printer is "close" to that of FUD, but it may be 3 to 10 times less accurate than FUD is. That's still good for some stuff in Z scale, with a precision of only 0.1mm, it's going to be a bit rough.

I'm also accepting donations if anyone wants to "invest" in one of these printers to sit on my desk. :laugh: :laugh:

More
11 years 6 months ago #14325 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution

stonysmith wrote:

animek wrote: ... with a precision of 100 micron ....
Shapeways .. is currently at 0.3mm

[snipola]
I'm also accepting donations if anyone wants to "invest" in one of these printers to sit on my desk. :laugh: :laugh:

Stony, you are *almost* as charity-minded as John "send your new, expensive locos to me in Florida - I'll hold them for you for a few years" M.! ;-)

More
11 years 6 months ago #14326 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution
Fortunately Mike, I have been appointed the official clearing house for all new devices. They must first be shipped to my address and field tested for at least 6 months and pass rigid spec tests. I will invite Stony to come stay with Karin and me while we 'field test' this new toy. If it passes inspection and tolerance tests, then we will lease it to Stony for only a small token amount.......say, $100 a week?

Stony, pack your bags. Karin will clean the cat box and put new sheets on the spare bed. After an exhausting day of tests, you can watch I Love Lucy reruns on our big screen and eat left over pizza from Pizza Hut. Sound like a winner?

More
11 years 6 months ago #14344 by ryuen
Replied by ryuen on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution
I read an article earlier that some boys from MIT decided they wanted a cheap laser based 3D printer so they designed their own:

www.reghardware.com/2012/10/01/formlabs_form1_home_stereolithic_3d_printer_release_date_named/

Those guys are claiming 25 micron precision for around $2000 though the material cost is higher than an extruder based printer.

Just wanted to share with the members here who are interested in 3D printing & rapid prototype.

More
11 years 6 months ago #14348 by markm
Replied by markm on topic Re: Makerbot 3D Printer evolution
For what its worth, I read a business wire story last week that all the 3D printer companies were a good investment and soon to be bought up. The reasoning was that that there is no money to be made in the ink/toner printer business beyond the consumables and that all the big printer companies: HP, Epson, Cannon, Lexmark, want to buy into the business and put a 3D printer next to everyone's computer so we can "print" key chains, jewelry and replacement parts. I guess a cartidge of FUD would be more profitable than one of ink.

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds