Friday, April 19, 2024

RIP Michael Hilliard

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 5 days ago #13530 by Alaska Railroader
RIP Michael Hilliard was created by Alaska Railroader
I don't know what happened but another one of our own has passed away. Michael was a very faithful participant here at Z Central Station. He was also too young. Many knew him as a very good modeler, happy to give expert advice, and loved Z scale so much he even got his father into modeling it.

Goodbye Michael. You will be missed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 days ago #13535 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
So sad to hear that we've lost another Z scaler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TerryH

More
12 years 4 days ago #13536 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Michael, you will be missed very much my friend. RIP

More
12 years 4 days ago #13537 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Yes, Michael will be missed here on ZCS. Michael had a way of making 'things' interesting. For example when in chat everyonce in a while he would have "Chat Auction" where he would auction of undesired rollingstock, track, or other Z items. And in November 2011 he designed his own "Guess your Prize" game, which was fun to watch the guessing thread, and he gave away some wonderful prizes.

Michael's current unfinished project was a 3D printer. I know Michael saved his money to purchase a 3D printer kit, and was looking forward to producing his own models. When he was in chat he would always update us with his assembly progress.

Thank you Michael, you will be missed.

More
12 years 4 days ago #13538 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Micheal is always a good guy. He help me with some of z scale projects. He will be missed.

More
12 years 4 days ago #13539 by ejshelton
Replied by ejshelton on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
:( OMG so sad.......I will miss you Mike. RIP

More
12 years 4 days ago #13540 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Michael was a frequent chatterer and joined in on the contests and even had mini auctions and some very nice prizes. I do have one of his State of Maine box cars that will have greater significance. Micheal- you are missed.
Fred

More
12 years 4 days ago #13541 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
I've met Michael and have one of his lighting kits for the first AZL Sd40s. He was an interesting personality and I will miss him.

R.I.P.

More
12 years 4 days ago #13542 by RRAY
Replied by RRAY on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Wow, that's a shock! Michael was always so full of energy in his projects, and I have a sizable collection of them. He used to call late at night after spending all day making something unique and cool, and give all the details of how he did it, and what could be done to solve any remaining issues.

I can't believe he's gone. He will be missed by many!

-Robert

More
12 years 4 days ago #13544 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Karin and I both had many a conversation with Michael, sometimes late into the nights.

Let Michael's passing remind us all to more deeply appreciate one another while we are yet on this earth. Each soul is precious in God's sight.

The tracks are clear ahead Michael......roll on.

More
12 years 4 days ago #13545 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Truly a loss for everyone. We had a lot of conversations. He was a great modeler and person.

Zac

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 days ago #13546 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Got this update:

...I am a member of the Tri-State z scale group, and we have met for some years at Michael's home in Connecticut. We were supposed to meet yesterday, but I noticed Michael was not signed in on zCentral, a highly unusual absence. I was on the verge of calling him Friday when I received a call from Cliff Travis, telling me of Michael's passing...

As you probably know, he had serious long-term health problems. When I saw him last month, he had lost a lot of weight and was having even more trouble eating. His landlord found Michael's body on Easter Sunday. An autopsy is pending as the cause of death is uncertain....

We will all miss Michael. Not only was he a genius with a wealth of talent and knowledge about how to build, paint and repair trains, but he was also modest and helpful. At a typical meeting, while we were running trains, he was tuning up our locos. I can't tell you how many items I saw him repair, and he explained what he was doing while he was doing it.

Please pass this on to Karin and anyone else you deem appropriate.

Best regards,

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: TerryH

More
12 years 3 days ago #13548 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Well, this is sad news. Michael helped me out a couple of times in my beginning days. I never met him, but always respected his work. Jim

More
12 years 8 hours ago #13563 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re: RIP Michael Hilliard
Wow!!! Hard to believe and difficult to accept. I too was one of those Z scalers who got late night calls from Michael to talk about all things "Z"!

Michael was a Z innovator! He'd push the bar to make his creations realistic looking while most people were settling for below average Norm products. Most don't know this but he was the first to create and print decals for the early 20' and 40' shipping containers. He also created a working flashing rear end device "FRED" way back around 2003/2004 for Z scale. I can tell you that it is freakin small. His working RXR crossing arms were awesome. All of his projects were top of the line. He is one Z scaler who had the knowledge but lacked the resources to have done so much more than he was allowed.

You will be missed!!!! Rest in Peace!

Tim

Time to create page: 0.633 seconds