Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12689 by Zcratchman_Joe
Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers! was created by Zcratchman_Joe
Not to be a Canadian party-pooper, but shouldn't this be moved to "Product Announcements" whether it be "Latest" or not?

I'm just saying... because ZCS is starting to look more like a walking billboard than a place to really help Z scale modelers. The thing that can really help modelers is the REGULAR "Latest Forum Postings" and they are buried way down at the bottom here. Is ZCS really here to help regular folks or is it here for the advertisers???

And now there’s a ZCS Calendar stuck up above the Latest Forum Posts as well. Why? I mean, we all have calendars, right? And it has nothing in it of any real use other than more advertising (for the same advertisers). The real helpful calendar info is actually stuck off on the right side in “Latest EventZ” and the fun Calendar stuff is on the very bottom in “This Date in RR History”. So why is this (superfluous) calendar shoved up there forcing the helpful Forum farther down to the bottom?

Or is it simply that ZCS cares that much less about helping people than future advertising dollars, which I’m sure this is all about. John is going about these subtle (and not so subtle) changes to ZCentral the same way a lot of places have done in the past. A new local free magazine, for instance, will build up Advertising Space with great deals (or for free) in order to make the place look good to advertisers and after a time the magazine switches gear to all paid advertising. And after a time more, they switch to a paid magazine. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is America with free enterprise and all that. But most of these magazines, along with all the advertising, also keep the content fresh and on target or they die on the stands. I’d hate to see that happen to ZCS. If this is not the ZCS plan – it sure looks as though it is.

Granted these advertisers are all good friends of John, the owner of the site, and some of them are also friends with the members here on ZCS, but it seems like these “advertising friends” are taking precedence over actually helping regular people.

ZCentralStation might have been created to provide Z Scalers a “full featured online community”, but now it’s more like a Walthers’ catalog. The only thing the site seems to concentrate on is the easy content to acquire, such as contests and the free promotion of advertisers. What happened to the idea of things like new how-to clinics now and then? How about some video demonstrations of weathering, or Tips & Tricks, etc., etc?

And yes, I know I’ll get crap for saying all this, but that’s only because I’m probably the only one willing to speak up about the direction that John, and ZCS is heading.

Remember Z Central Station’s Mission Statement: To provide the 1:220 Z scale modeling community with a free forum to learn and share information. To maintain a world-class site that will help inspire current members, yet encourage and welcome new members. To present 1:220 Z scale modeling in a positive and quality demeanor.

Oh and John, the word “Modeling” is misspelled in your Mission statement twice. I’d say it’s a rather strange word to misspell for a place dedicated to being a “World Class” site for MODELERS? Didn’t anyone ever read this Mission Statement and inform you, or are they all afraid to speak out to you for some reason?

(PS John, you buried one of my posts a while back because you did not agree with what I had to say about an advertisers policies. I hope you don’t do that again here. After all, we wouldn’t want to see you censoring folks simply because their view of things is different than your own now would we? That would be positively Orwellian, right?)

Joe
The topic has been locked.
  • Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #12692 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
Hi Joe, to some extent I agree with you, the theme of Z and modeling should be #1. John has been very generous to those of us who support him financially. It wouldn't bother me if he switched positions with the forum topics. But the fact remains that he needs financial support from modelers as well as sponsors to keep this site alive.

I just wish you wouldn't have hijacked Todd's thread.
More
12 years 3 months ago #12693 by SmallWonderZ
Replied by SmallWonderZ on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
Joe,
I simply posted this in the "Where to buy Z scale forum" and like any new post it showed up in the latest post section. This is how most forums work and has nothing to do with the owners of this website.
Cheers,
Todd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alaska Railroader
More
12 years 3 months ago #12694 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
Todd - no offense was meant to you or your business what-so-ever. I’m just saying that the forums need to be straightened out. I also meant no offense to John either. But if John is going to have a separate place for advertisers forum posts up on the top blaring out to all that visit here, then the least that can be done is to have all advertisers post in that area, and then have this area more devoted to modeling.

Karin – Thanks for understanding. I didn’t mean to “hijack” Todd’s’ post, but something needed to be said… and look at all the exposure that Todd’s post has gotten because of it. I also know exactly what it costs to own/operate a web site. I’ve been in the Internet business since before there was a World Wide Web (all the way back to BBS’s). I own 30+ domains and have numerous web sites up and running at various times. All web sites that do not pay for content, or for a web master/administrator, need only pay for the hosting fees (which can vary widely in price for the same services) and any “extra” software they choose to add-on. I won’t publically say what the cost of this web site might be to run, but suffice to say, it shouldn’t be much at all. Advertisers should not need to be promoted as they are here, to keep this site alive one bit.

A friend of mine recently looked at this site and remarked how long it took to find content related to modeling. Since they know a little about modeling but had not seen this site before, they started at the top of the website and worked their way down. Go ahead folks, look at the front page and imagine yourself a first time newbie coming to ZCS.

I have one more question… in the info menu just under the “Latest Member Z Scale Photos” right above where it says “Welcome to the New Z Central Station”, the tabs read “Welcome – General – New Features – Introducing NZT Products – Privacy Policy – Z CD Challenge”. All except one are related to the website, but right there in the middle like a big zit, is another bleeping advertisement. It’s made to look as though it’s rightly part of ZCS as a whole. Do “new” sponsors really need to be made to look as though they are part of the website’s business model? It’s these types of things I’m talking about when I say a walking billboard.

Again, I’m sorry for jumping in here, but I really like this website. I feel someone in the know, as to how websites either draw in people, or flatly turn them away, needed to speak up for the overall good of the site. Someone needs to keep a watch on how it’s developing and speak out when they feel it’s turning a wrong direction.

Now everyone go visit Todd at www.smallwonder-z.com
More
12 years 3 months ago #12696 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
I think you are severly misinformed about prices of hosting a website Joe. I own a few too (also ran bbs's back in the day). You have to also pay for bandwidth and storage. This site has a lot of international and local traffic. This isn't your Go Daddy 15.95 a year website. The chat program used here is also a paid program and upgraded to account for 20 users. I imagine the amount that "paid advertisers" are paying isn't enough to offset the costs due to the nature of the Z scale business. They don't have advertising budgets like Coke, Pepsi or for that matter even Walthers. The content on this site is layed out very similar to most other forums. Heck there is even a forum button on the top bar. You don't even have to look at the front page if you don't want to. Once you click it there is a drop down of all the forum topics with advertisers conveniently listed [at the bottom]. Most recent posts are listed at the top, which at the moment seems to be this thread. Speaking of content more how to articles, articles on weathering and such would be nice, however this is a forum. You can not force people to post.
In conclusion, you may not like the layout, and I may even agree things need to be changed a little, but saying that John had a sinister nefarious goal with ZCS is rubbish. You want to talk about orwellian look at the other sites. Train board won't let you mention products that don't advertise on their site, and don't even get me started on how many posts are missing on Ztrains. I guess you could always use railwire for a bare bones forum but it seems to be missing all of the things you want too. Right now ZCS is the best and only Zscale only Forum we have.

-Zac

P.S. Sorry for Hijacking the thread again Todd www.smallwonder-z.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: KIN477
More
12 years 3 months ago #12698 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Moved: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
1. I am not misinformed about hosting fees. Perhaps one might shop around a little more.

2. I am well aware of the chat costs as I helped the author of the chat program with his pricing structure.

3. It doesn't matter if this site might be laid out like other forums. That does not make it correct for converting visitors (especially newbies) to members.

4. The buttons on the top of the page are great for those familiar with the site, but that is not what the newbie visitor looks at/for.

5. This is not a forum as you have stated. It is more an online magazine with included forum and chat, etc. And no, one cannot force people to post. In fact an owner of a site like this must almost beg people to write stories, etc. It’s a shame, really.

6. If you read it correctly I said “If this is not the ZCS plan – it sure LOOKS as though it is.” Meaning the look of this publication appears more ad oriented that goal oriented. That part is a fact.

7. When I mentioned Orwellian it was a message to John to please not censor me again over my objection to a certain advertiser’s practices. Since this dealt with advertisers, I was worried I might be stifled again.

8. I agree ZCS is good. That’s why I care enough about it to mention these things rather than a**kiss and give attaboys all around. Congratulations is a great thing to give and to receive but please, only when it is truly due. There is just too much sticking up for people on here rather than speak the truth. It’s a shame too because it gives people a false sense of doing a job correctly when in fact they should try something a different way ,or try a bit harder. Heaven forbid one gives even constructive criticism; they’ll get jumped on defending the person that was chastised.

9. You didn’t hijack the thread. John cleaned up the original post of all my talk and moved it to Off-Topic along with the replies dealing with my remarks. The original post was left in the main forum topics instead of in the Product Announcements. One can only imagine that this is because Todd of SmallWonder-Z.com is not an advertising contributor. If you’ve haven’t noticed paying advertisers, and friends of John and/or the site (ie. Stony) get their own Board Category within that Product Announcements category. And again, I say there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m just saying that it seems to be putting advertisers over the visitors. But the whole design site seems to be doing that anyway. If this was John’s goal, he has achieved it.

10. I have spoken my peace. I am not going to defend my words on this matter anymore. I, and quite a few others that have written me in private also feel the same way as I do.

www.smallwonder-z.com
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12699 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
This bikering is not doing Z or the hobby any favours and most of this thread should probably be burned and buried. MY take is the mission statement is being followed and like some others I was in web IT from early days and started several lists and and are still around and others died mainly because of crap like this. This is best done one on one and not in open forum unless it a forum for challengers and bitchers and others seeking power over. words are cheap but actions are not and I take my hat off to anyone who takes on the job of running one of these sites, at my retirement last November I was administering 30 web sites for 3 companies, so big deal. If you can do a better job and invent a better mouse trap then get out there and start a new venture and get on with it.
I participate here because I can get answers when I need them and in a timely fashion and if I choose to pass on my experience to a query I can do so.

:woohoo: :unsure: :ohmy: :evil:

cheerz Garth

p.s. as a Canadian it was nice to find Z source close to my home

cheerz Garth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, KIN477
More
12 years 3 months ago #12700 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Attention all Canadian Z scalers!
Burn it John, I've had my say.
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12701 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic ZCS Operational Considerations - a Rant
1) It was entirely proper for Todd to post the item in the "Where to buy" thread. Todd did not announce any new product, he was announcing a new place to purchase items. By hijacking his thread.. you violated your own "rule".. your comments about the layout of the ZCS site should have been posted here in the "Off Topic" thread (and I - not John, moved your comments to this second thread for that very reason).

2) JohnK may moderate ME for saying this, but he ain't getting rich off this site. He's paying the bulk of the costs for the site out of his own pocket. (a hint for anyone feeling like donating.. button at the bottom of every page) Rest assured, any "advertisements" as some percieve them are NOT funding the site to ANY significant level. It also is John's right and perogative to set the price for any andvertisements. If the ads don't completely fund the site.. that's his choice, not mine. I will also strongly stand behind John and tell you that any advertizers have zero impact (power) on how John arranges the site.

3) John is operating what he hopes to be a "community" rather than an revenue stream. He is VERY much about each person being able to express their own opinions. John is doing a wonderful thing by donating this site out of his own hard-earned money to the Z community. He also doesn't deserve to be attacked for not having the time to moderate every posting. I'm sure that if the site was John's major source of income, then he could afford to put the time in to completely re-structure all the forum layout, but as it is, he's pedaling fast just to keep the site running.

4) "Censorship" is a very ugly word. Today, freedom of speech is often taken to mean "I can insult anyone I wish with impunity." To repeat: John is the owner of ZCS. He can delete any posting he wishes (including this one) because it is HIS site. If I take offense to such deletion.. I can take my 'business' elsewhere, but I do not have the right to complain about such and then try to defend my position by merely crying "censorship". John bends over backwards to allow try to ALL opinions here, but he must also protect himself allowing this site to become filled primarily with incendary comments and/or slander. For me to claim "I was censored" is to try to say that I have more of a right to decide the site's contents than it's owner does. There are many such sites that do limit what people are allowed to say.. I don't frequent them because I disagree with the owner's policies, but I don't attack them for it.. it was their choice, and they and their advertisers lose my 'business'. I vote with my wallet and my shoes. I don't like manufacture X, or dealer Y, so I don't buy their product. If I don't like a site's policies.. I don't visit the site.

4a) On a side note.. I want many of the threads here on ZCS to "expire". A discussion of "who is going to NTS in Jan 2006" has extremely little relevence to "Modelling in 2012", and I feel that such threads should be able to "pass away" quietly in the night. There's just yet not been enough hours in the day to go thru all the 14,000 postings and weed stuff out.

5) There seeems to be some confusion here about what is a formal paid advertisement, versus what is an announcement by John to the members for "get free stuff". The NZT monthly contest is not a paid advertisement, it is posted where it is on the page because John wants to be sure that people know about the contest so they can particpate. Likewise.. the interview with Evergreen is not an advertisement.. it's an INTERVIEW with them about modelling methods, it's the very thing you asked for.. it's a "how-to".

6) I can't possibly disagree more with you than about the site layout. John regularly posts "items of interest" in random spots around the site.. just to keep it fresh. It's like the weather.. if you don't like the look today, then wait a bit and you'll see something new.

7) In regard to the "Where are the how-to's".. I know that it's John's deep desire to have such items here on the site. The problem is.. nobody is writing them.

8) As to the "this site is about modelling" comment: This same subject keeps recurring in various forms, and I want to put in my two cents:

There are MANY levels of model train enthusiasts, from the pure scratch-builder through to the guy who is a "patron", and only operates RTR. There is room here on ZCS for ALL of them. It seems to me that some people have rather odd definitions of what a "modeller" and "modelling" is. They seem to want to say "I (chest thump) am a modeller.. YOU are not!"

To arbitrarily declare that "non modelling talk is going on" or "it's all advertising" (or yes, even "goo-gaa"...) is to deliberately insult a significant portion of the people who visit here. Yes, there is a section at the top center of the front page for "New Product Announcements". That section is there, not because the site is focused on sellers, but rather, that section exists because a number of us here are buyers. I am not going to scratch-build my own rolling stock, I'm going to purchase 85% or more of it from vendors, therefore, I want to know about new products. But that doesn't mean that I'm not operating a MODEL railroad. Some portion of "modelling" is about purchasing products to assist with the construction of the end result.. running trains. I'm allowed to buy glue and styrene.. why is it anathema for me to purchase RTR buildings (or kits)?

The very top of this website is a gallery of pictures contributed by the members. John takes a lot of criticism for the site being so slow.. mainly because the site is so graphics heavy. To me, people who make that critique have lost focus on the fact that this is a place to show off your work. The extra images are there for the very reason of prompting others to exercise the creativity they possess in the enjoyment of this HOBBY.

While I'm on my soapbox.. On more than one occasion, certain people have complained that ZCS chat "is not about modelling". For goodness sake.. it's CHAT! You can NOT tell me that if a group of guys got together in the same physical location and had a Club Meeting.. that the conversation would ONLY ever be "you didn't put enough shredded foam on that armature". Someone in the meeting is going to talk about the Phillies winning a game, someone in the meeting is going to talk about the car accident they had. But.. in ZCS chat, nobody EVER said at any time that I can't ask a question about how to cement down ballast. Chat is Chat! If anything, it's something to do WHILE I connect rail joiners. Whining about the topics in chat the same thing as complaining about some advertisements here and there.. certain people try to take it on themselves to define what "modelling" is, and then declare that Stony is not a modeller because he choses to purchase his trees rather than hand craft them. It's offensive to me.

=====
On a personal level, I want ZCS to be a warm, friendly site where we can share ideas, and tell each other about new discoveries we've made (a.k.a. items for purchase), and show off what we've done with our model trains. I'm entirely willing to donate my time, labor (and my money) to making the site a success.

===

Self-recrimination notice: I reserve the right to extend or revise my comments at any point in the future (without warning).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, slugger, Mr. White, KIN477
More
12 years 3 months ago #12702 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: ZCS Operational Considerations - a Rant
Stony, I agree 100% with 99% of what you said here.

Joe
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12705 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: ZCS Operational Considerations - a Rant
So much to digest. First, interaction between modelers, retailers, and manufacturers are integral not only to Z scale modeling but to every product produced. The forum category "Product Announcements" should be used for new Z products, and I would highly encourage posting of new products here. I would even encourage non-ZSC sponsors to post their new products, because sometimes the regular advertising avenues are too slow, fall short of their audience, or the worst all, lack of advertising funds.

I know you were exaggerating about looking like Walthers and trying to make a point. First of all, the Holiday Free Banners is my way of helping out the Z community. If this program helps drive traffic and maybe new business to them, then it is a win/win situation. And of course if they find any value of a banner on ZCS, then they may want to enroll as a sponsor of ZCS. I ran the free banners for Sacramento NTS 2011. Not everything is dollars and cents. The TBS product image placement was my 'perk' to Karin and David since I gave free holiday banners.

Joe, you and I have had 'aesthetics' discussion in November, ZCS is evolving, and will always change (hopefully for the better!). ZCS will always test new features, if they work, then they will stay.

Stony, I agree 101% with everything you stated, thank you. Not only purging irrevelant postings but re-assigning image galleries is on top of our housekeeping duties. I have only censored one forum posting and that was to remove a phone number and address. And Joe, yes that is true about one of your postings which it still is here under the 'Test' category.

This thread has deviated so much, I am not going to comment on everything except one more topic that I feel needs response from me, personally.

When it was announced that ZCS was for sale on Ebay, I must have emailed Brad about a dozen emails containing 20-30 questions about everything I had questions on. I then blasted emails to about five other modelers asking their thoughts, one of them offered his services. I realized full well that this would be a hobby for Stony and I. One of our longterm goals was to have ZCS maintain her expenditures with sponsorships and donations. Prior to August 2010, due to membership growth, ZCS went through several hosting plans starting from $20.00 then $75.00 a month and ending at $150.00 a month. Fortunately with Stony's help we streamlined ZCS and virtually updated and upgraded 95% of the site. ZCS is hosted on Site5, using a Virtual Private Server Level 3 configuration which costs about $100.00 per month. But, as you know that does not include any licensing fees, commercial applications, or other costs.

One of our other goals was to provide 'affordable' advertising for the 'mom & pop' companies which never has enough money for advertising. If ZCS gains more sponsors, I would love to lower our current yearly sponsorship fees. I don't want popups, google ads, or other obnoxious ad banners on ZCS, and I know no one else does. So, what if I have to adjust ZCS home page some?

Want to have some fun? Go to another model train forum, and place your left hand over their home page banner. Cool, now go to the next model train forum, and put your left hand over their home page banner, and continue on to any more you want to test. Don't they start looking the same? Not the same with ZCS.

Now, I would like to invoke some of Garth's wisdom. Let's get back to Z!

This discussion is done, and locked.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, Mr. White, KIN477
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds