Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

News Rokuhan track update video of turnout control

More
12 years 11 months ago #10819 by garthah
This is a video from Rokuhan on You Tube of their new turnout switch control. It can be snapped onto the existing C001 controller or onto other switches, it can be powered with an external wall transformer with 12vac as a stand alone device or a row of such devices. It can also be connected to the accessory AC output of other brands of controllers and they show it being connected to micro Trains and Marklin controllers. No word on how soon it will be released at this time. I expect it will be distributed in several configurations.

cheers Garth

cheerz Garth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #10822 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: News Rokuhan track update video of turnout control
They are showing two different turnout controllers. The one that is being connected to the off-brand transformers apparently has been "gutted" where the power wire was originally plugged into it. But it's more than that cosmetically (notice the hole is even smaller). The wall-wart adapter plug-in is now gone and the wire is hardwired "somewhere" inside it.

I wonder if the circuitry is different between the two controllers??? I doubt it is. But it would be nice to know if someone could simply cut the wall-wart adapter part off from the end of the wire, plug the other end into the controller as usual, and use the controller with a third party transformer?

Of course we need to remember these videos are of their prototypes, not finished models. It's really nice to see. Prototype videos are something very few companies do at this stage of the game. Time will tell what they actually come out with though.

Joe

More
12 years 11 months ago #10823 by garthah
The switch box has circuitry inside that converts the AC input to DC for controlling the turnout. AS I said there would be several versions of this device. One which can take a wall transformer input of 12vac and to which you can connect additional turnouts control boxes. One which has wire leads that you connect to the accessory AC terminals from another manufacturer's DC controller and you can connect additional sitch boxes to this version as well. and the standard one that piggy backs on the existing controller or can be piggy backed on any of the other versions also.
cheers Garth

cheerz Garth

More
12 years 11 months ago #10824 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: News Rokuhan track update video of turnout control
garthah wrote:

AS I said there would be several versions of this device.

Sorry Garth, I misunderstood. You actually didn't mention there being other versions, you only referred to the controller as "it", as in one controller. I missed that last sentence about how you expect it will be distributed in several "configurations".

More
12 years 11 months ago #10825 by ausman2001
Like everything else they've made so far it looks good. The switches are a bit on the large size though, aren't they?

More
12 years 11 months ago #10826 by Mr.JA
ausman2001 wrote:

Like everything else they've made so far it looks good. The switches are a bit on the large size though, aren't they?

I'm guessing the size is dependent on it matching their controller/power-pack... to make a good cosmetic fit, as it snaps-on to the side of it.

Remember, folks... Rokuhan is trying to market a complete plug-and-play track system for Z. Their market is Japan first. They are trying to adapt the KATO and TOMIX systems to Z. The ProZ idea didn't seem to catch on here. I'm hoping Rokuhan can make it. They seem to be pushing ahead with bringing the full product line to market.

One more note about Rokuhan... it seems to me, they are keeping a very tight control on quality from their China manufacture and supplier. I have yet to run into any issues out of the package (unlike another, where almost every release has some problem at a premium price).

More
12 years 11 months ago #10827 by markm
Very impressive, every time I look at the Rokuhan system I find it more interesting, I just wish it were more available (but that's a different post :)). Although this video is a bit sparce on details. Seems to me that Rokuhan has been listening to its potential customers and this video of their prototypes deserves some input. So, here's my 2 cents worth.

- Please no wire out the back for 16VAC, use some sort of common connector.
- It would be nice to have an LED on the switch box to indicate the last direction.
- Can multiple switches be connected together and powered by one AC adaptor or one line
to the third party supply?
- It would be nice if the additional power inputs to the switch be 12VDC 16VAC.

I suspect these comments will work their way back to the right people at Rokuhan.

Mark

More
12 years 11 months ago #10828 by garthah
Mark I am not sure if we can get them to use a connector for the external AC connection to other manufacturer's controllers. Yes the Rokuhan system is plug and play and it is a feature that I like and use to advantage. THis box was my suggestion to ROkuhan when they ere looking for solution to their DC control of the turnout when over here. everything was AC controlled.I will make the suggestion of supplying a plug and cable like that used on the wall transforemr to power the switch controller. Yes the idea is that this plock will accept additional switches that can snap onto the new versions of the switch controller and and to the heir controller. As for the LED it really is not neccessary as the position of the switch indicates the condition of the turnout. UP or towards the back o f the unit is the diverging route through the turnout and down or towards the front is the straight through direciton of the turnout.

cheers Garth

cheerz Garth

More
12 years 11 months ago #10830 by markm
Garth,
I didn't expect to see a response so fast. You're right about the LED, its just that in the video it looked like they were using a center off switch. Ideally, it would be nice to run all power through the barrel plug: 12VDC & 10-16VAC...its really only a couple of diodes. But the wire out the back just opens the switch up to accidental electrical connections and mechanical snags, not to mention that the wire will look tacky when one decides to connect the switch to the controller.

Mark

More
12 years 11 months ago #10853 by garthah
THe final decicion on the configuration of the addition turnout switch R023 is as shown in the video wihout pig tails but with wall transformer socket and connections which allow additional units to be stacked with others either from a stand alone units with its own AC feed or when connected to one of the controllers from Rokuhan such as the C001. Their will be an accessory cable which will allow you to power the turnout switch box in a stand alone mode from the 16ac accessory terminals found on most controllers other than Rokuhan or with a wall transformer.

cheers Garth

cheerz Garth

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds