Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Desire for a Streetcar?

More
12 years 1 month ago - 11 years 11 months ago #13295 by stonysmith
Desire for a Streetcar? was created by stonysmith
After some arm twisting.. I relented..

Disclaimer: the dimensions may be slightly off.. I have been unable to find proper dimensions for this model. I've got it at 8 feet wide. If they're supposed to be 10 feet wide, then I need to enlarge this model a bit. If anyone can find some proper dimensions, or feels inclined to chase down an existing one with a measuring tape, I'll be glad to help apply band-aids.

Available for sale here:
shpws.me/4gua

The Thek motorized chassis may fit inside here.. the Searails chassis will fit, but.. both of them have wheeelbases that are going to look very non-proto, and you'll still have to figure out something for the other truck. However, at this time, it's designed to be a semi-static model - the floor is solid with bolsters on it, not open.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #13299 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
To follow up: both of the currently available motorized chassis should fit inside.. here are approximate views, given the posted dimensions by each manufacturer:

Note that on the Thek chassis, the streetcar has to ride significantly higher since the chassis is taller.

Again, the model is currently NOT open so as to accept either of these. You would have to cut the floorboard out to be able to put either one in here.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #13306 by t.edmunds
Replied by t.edmunds on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
Trolleys look great

I poked around the SEPTA site and found these 2 numbers. Try calling them for the deminsions
Rob Girone at P&W Car Shop (215) 580-5682/3827
Harold Simmons at Woodland Car Shop (215) 580-6307

check out www.phillytrolley.org/SIAcarbarns/woodlandshop01.html (I'm in that top picture somewhere!!)

Tom

More
12 years 1 month ago #13307 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
Ron Ruddell of London Bridge Toys- Emmaus, Pa- is an avid Z scaler. In years past, he has hosted several Z meets for the surrounding states. One of his hobbies is restoring street and trolly cars. Stony- He may be a source for details and drawings. His posted Phone # is 610-967-6887. I'm sure he would get a kick out of seeing Z Street cars.

More
12 years 1 month ago #13415 by eruby79
Replied by eruby79 on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
Not sure which model street car that is but I found pretty detailed dimensions for a PCC car here:
transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4503.shtml

click the line drawing in the upper corner and it will give you a zoomed in view. (I assume all of the units are metric)

Baltimore has a very good streetcar museum. www.baltimorestreetcar.org/ I don't think they have any dimensions on the page but they may be able to help because they have restored and maintained many different cars and run them every Sunday.

Keep up the great work
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #13416 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
Thanks Eric for Posting. By the way- how is your winter hutch layout coming along? Have you taklen over another self or two? :evil: Any Pictures??
Fred

More
12 years 1 month ago #13417 by eruby79
Replied by eruby79 on topic Re: Desire for a Streetcar?
Slowly,
I need to clean the track/ clean my loco and just cant seem to find the time. I have been working on the plane jane building kit and have the exterior painted. Now for the inside parts. I may have more to show before next winter.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds