Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Crossing Gates

More
12 years 6 months ago #11863 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Crossing Gates
Another thought here....I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel so maybe I'm late on the available options currently. With that said, isn't there some type of wire that contracts and expands when a current is applied? I've read somewhere in the past about that type of wire, but can't remember where. Maybe that would work also?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11864 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Crossing Gates

Kelley wrote: Note the picture tha John showed. The silver relay box. ...

Not to be picky here, but I believe that's a Crossing Shanty, in the photo and not a relay box.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #11865 by N/A
Replied by N/A on topic Re: Crossing Gates
Loren - Yep, I'll email them to you this week.

Kelley - That relay box is not for the crossing gate, its for the turnout operation, the crossing gate was operated by the man in the photo stationed in the crossing shanty he is standing in front of. Both Stony Smith and BLMA make relay boxes (I've used both of them on my layout and recommend both of them).

John

More
12 years 6 months ago #11866 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Crossing Gates
Joe fix your glasses..that thing between the shack and the sign that says SS is a pretty standard electrical box from I guess the 1920s to at least the 80s.

I dont have the money or the skills. I tried to make a radio antennae towewr by soldering 2 brass lighttowers togeter and it looks HORRID. IF I had spare cash I could try it over and over till I get it right. I also broke 2 leds and thats all for me (I will perhaps send pictures and parts litss and see if someone else can do it.

I don't want to be the negative guy or the wet blanket but some things, if my opinion just won't look or work right. I try to give alternate ideas of what I thing average modelers could use and work with.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11867 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Crossing Gates

Kelley wrote: Joe fix your glasses..that thing between the shack and the sign that says SS is a pretty standard electrical box...

Oh my lord, I did not even see that big shiny thing sitting there. I guess I DO need to check my glasses! But we could still use some shanty's like that too, right? :laugh:

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #11868 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Crossing Gates
de.shopping.com/Viessmann-Viessmann-4551-Stellantrieb-fur-Signale-Viessmann/info

This is the standard driver from Viessmann that runs signals and whatnot...about 20 bucks..another type that would work is a modified servo used in remote control models. They are in a special mounting and are pretty commen over here too. I am pretty sure either one of these can be used for a crossing gate. I dont know of too many people who just slap track on a piece of plywood be done with it, but unless you are squeezing stuff in a briefcase or in a coffee table, there are all kinds of movements and motors you could use under your layout to get things to move.
Now here is another thought. Why does everything have to be electronic? If and when I figure out how to make a z scale train order board, I will be going old school and moving it with thin piano wire in a plastic tube, and plastic bellcranks. Pull the little bead and it goes down, push it in it goes up. 4 dollars woth of parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: markm

More
12 years 6 months ago #11872 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Crossing Gates
This might be a good application for memory wire or muscle wire

cheers Garth

cheerz Garth

More
12 years 6 months ago #11876 by N/A
Replied by N/A on topic Re: Crossing Gates
Loren,

Sent you an email, need your mailing address.

Yours,

John

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds