Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Shapeways Price Changes

More
12 years 7 months ago #11648 by stonysmith
Shapeways Price Changes was created by stonysmith
Shapeways announced Sept 21 a price change:

Every material will now have a "Handling Fee" on top of the Per-Volume charge. There is also now a $6.50 shipping charge (to the US) per order. The good news: the $25 minimum purchase requirement has been dropped.

Some of the materials have gone done (very slightly) in price per volume, but overall, it's a bit of a price increase - in some cases up to 20%. You have to make a pretty big order for the reduction in price per volume to offset the handling fee.

Shapeways did this to more closely align their prices with their costs. Very small models (such as my Z items) were really hurting their bottom line - very time consuming, therefore expensive for them to produce.

I wasn't warned in advance, but I had been expecting the change. It just makes more sense for their business model. I have been assured that they are working hard to provide the best value for the money, continually seeking other vendors that can provide better prices (and faster turnaround times).

The net result of this will be that I must sprue together more items into 'sets'. Stay tuned, I'll see what I can do to keep the prices reasonable. If anyone has specific requests as to groups of items you'd like to see.. let me know.

========
The new prices go into effect October 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: craZ13, Fred, t.edmunds, KIN477

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #11667 by t.edmunds
Replied by t.edmunds on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
I like the items where several of something makes sense. I bought the speeders but they didn't arrive in time for the contest. Trucks, trailers, cars, and machinery would be great choices.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Tom

More
12 years 7 months ago #11673 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Stony, you mentioned trying to sprue the larger items (e.g. cars, speeders) like you do with the smaller items (culverts, hydrants). Any luck ? Or, do you think they'll catch on, like the PC board houses do. It would seem to me that they really can't honestly be printing (and handling) just one of the Z items in the printer but rather waiting for mutliple items to be ordered, then print all at once. They should assumedly want to print all at once but maybe then de-spruing could be costly. And from their packaging, I don't see how they can send you a sprue as they would easily break.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #11737 by matthornb
Replied by matthornb on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Whether things cost more, depends on the item.

I've done a bit of checking and find that the majority of my Z scale items on Shapeways have actually become less expensive as a result of the change in Shapeways' pricing structure.

Of course the materials are different; mine are all printed in full-color sandstone... which means lower price per volume and the presence of color texture art on the models, but it also means thicker models with fewer fine modeled details.

It really depends on what you're trying to make, I guess. I'm making buildings, StonySmith Designs is focused primarily on vehicles. The emphasis is different so we chose to focus on different materials.

Anyway, I took a look at Stony Smith Designs, they're really impressive.

I'm trying to make a small layout to showcase my Z scale models... will post photos when it's done.

At the moment though, I don't have real-world photos of my Z scale items (just renders)... will have real photos of the Z scale models posted in a few weeks though.

My messy work-in-progress Shapeways shop

If anyone has suggestions for what sort of buildings or models you'd like me - or stonysmith - to make, those suggestions would be welcome.

BTW, stonysmith, I like your vehicles. I'll probably buy a few of them in my next order.

I too would like to see more trucks and vehicles. Maybe you could also consider ships/sailboats, buses, human figures, animals...

I'd like to see someone make a mix of wild and domesticated animals because I think there are some obvious creatures - like deer - that are hard to find in Z scale. Also a collection of various cacti wouldn't be a bad idea. There aren't currently many options in that area for Z scale... mostly just trees.

Those omissions in the Z scale market are fairly puzzling when you consider how many model railroad layouts are set in the American Southwest or Rocky Mountain regions.

One more note: I'm also wondering whether sprues are a good idea. They require more materials cost and they are also tricky to do well given Shapeways' minimum thickness rules. It seems to me that it would probably be better to avoid them.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11738 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Jeff: Shapeways takes all the orders as the arrive and they put together a "batch" that they print all together. The print volume is roughly a cubic foot. They fill this volume as compact as they can .. with ANY models from ANY shop. Your (single) Z Mack Truck may be printed right next to someone's WorldOfWarcraft figurine, and next to someone else's Rubics Cube.

They do not wait for 10 Mack Trucks to be ordered.. but your order is processed along with other random stuff that was ordered aat the same time.

If you can imagine.. when they pull that big batch out of the printer.. it can be a bit of a pain to find just one small Z item in with all the other stuff. :)

So, as such, yes, your items are printed one at a time.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11739 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Matt: Thanks much for the compliments.

Yes, the Full Color Sandstone ended up being 25% cheaper than before. At the same time, they reduced the thickness limit by 33% (i.e. cheaper) and they improved the FCS quality significantly. Now, when you print something that is white, it comes out actually white, rather than a muddy grey. It's unfortunate that the price change on the other materials overshadowed what they did with FCS.

Animals are tricky.. even in the most detailed material (FUD) you have to have legs/arms that are nearly six inches in diameter. John Mui really wants some chickens for his layout.. there's no way that a 6" thick chicken foot is going to be acceptable. About the only choice here is to make the animals in a reclining position such that their legs are completely tucked in against their bodies.

The sprues are a necessary evil to keep the price per unit down. If you just put a set of six (or twenty) un-connected models into a batch, then it's more work for SW to handle. If a bunch of people do this, they will have to institute a new rule about how many unconnected items can be in a model before they have to charge more. By using the sprues properly, you end up effectively building a larger model that is easier for them to retrieve out of the printer.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11744 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes

stonysmith wrote: Animals are tricky.. even in the most detailed material (FUD) you have to have legs/arms that are nearly six inches in diameter. John Mui really wants some chickens for his layout.. there's no way that a 6" thick chicken foot is going to be acceptable. About the only choice here is to make the animals in a reclining position such that their legs are completely tucked in against their bodies.

I think a 6" diameter animal leg, foot or hoof, such as a cow, or a deer sounds perfectly acceptable from the standpoint that the animal is so small... who the heck is going to notice anyway. I mean, what's 2 inches when the animal is only a couple of millimeters in the first place. This would however mean making something such as a leg completely disproportionate to the rest of the body (imagine stovepipe shaped legs, etc.). Again, due to the lack of animals at an affordable price (such as the cows/horses) or the lack of Z scale animals all together (those bears and deer are really N scale), I think no one would really give a damn. And they could be put in some taller grass if they don’t think the legs look right. But what about the heads? Wouldn’t these too be disproportionate? And then there are Z people. How would they look with stovepipe arms and legs… head?

But laying chickens are a grand idea... but why worry about legs at all on something like a chicken. The legs/feet would be too small to really see anyway (think of smaller than Z scale rivet size for the legs). You could put some of them in a clump of straw as if bedding down too.

But Stony, besides laying chickens, what could actually be made if you went against your self-imposed limit on making things absolutely accurate (not counting the Rebel)? How about a test batch of what would be the closest to accurate, just to see? And if you’re worried about the rivet-counters… just market them as Stonys Mutant Mammals… (well, except for the chickens).

More
12 years 6 months ago #11745 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Hey,...a brand new product line by SMM.

Start off with the famous Mutant Ninja Turtles...:o)

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #11746 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Stony has already dabbled into the realm of "OOOO"
Odaciously Obvious Oversized Osteriges :sick:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :S :evil:
Attachments:

More
12 years 6 months ago #11764 by KIN477
Replied by KIN477 on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Stony, I would like some chickens also. I'll put a pin up their Hinies. you thought I was gona
say *&^%* didn't you. Ballpark is close enough for me, for chickens.
Then I could buy Lorens chicken coop. :laugh: :laugh:

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 6 months ago #11782 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
My kingdom for some Z pirates!!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #11785 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Shapeways Price Changes
Pirates I can do easy. I just have to get figures done I promised to Alex first, and to Joe D. I have to do some more Army stuff before I can get around to doing them again. Pirates, why didn't you ask before? A kingdom you say?
Chickens no problem either I have some of those. Including chicks believe it or not. Had to have some to go in the Z chicken coop. I added some z chicken wire by the way. If anyone wants chickens send me an Email and I will see what I can do.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds