Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses

More
12 years 4 months ago #12143 by 1Shay
[img size=Small]needtrains.com/images/ANI_2005-11.jpg[/img]Ben at Animek Models has done it again!! He has come out with five different paint schemes of the Denver & Rio Grand Western Steel Sided Cabooses each kit has the option of 15 to 20 Road Numbers .. These fine cabooses are exclusively available from Needtrains.com .. Kits are less trucks and couplers but they are available from Needtrains.com also .. These fine kits detail out to be a well detailed, much needed caboose ..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12146 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Very nice addition to Z! Is this a laser cut kit?

More
12 years 4 months ago #12150 by 1Shay
Replied by 1Shay on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Yes this is a laser cut kit very nicely done ..

More
12 years 4 months ago #12152 by Zscaleplanet
Replied by Zscaleplanet on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Yahoo!! -- finally D&RGW cabooses!!! And an incredible selection with various paint schemes that represent various era's. A total of 5-choices in all. I just placed my order for two, although both in black.

Really happy that Animek has done this for us D&RGW folks. Although they are a wee bit pricey, but we that live on "Zscaleplanet" understand the need to support those that are building the items many of us have been requesting. More support for these Cottage Industry suppliers means more variety, more interest for Z-scale and eventually lower prices -- uh, we hope ;)

Lance in Mesa, AZ

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12153 by animek
Replied by animek on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
I've tried to design the kit in a way that it would be more easy and quicker to build, compare to the CN one's. Especially by making the exterior part in one single piece.

Even thought it does have a few parts, it is not 3,000 as I've heard somewhere :whistle:)

Plus, I almost lost my sanity on pre-cutting the decals, making gigantic quantity of scraps!

And the Polybak (Laserboard) price had quadruped to import into Canada, I've tried to lower the final cost, but at the end, it didn't work, sorry about that.

I wish I could have finish all type to show the final results, but I needed to finish production before xmas, it's either having fun assembling or working to produce kits :lol:

Ben

My web site: www.animekmodels.com

More
12 years 4 months ago #12154 by Zscaleplanet
Ben - the price is understandable on a limited, or first time run. I was educated by John Cubbin awhile back regarding the need to support our Cottage Industry folks, especially on kits of this nature. Most of us chose "Z" as our scale of choice, fully understanding the cost.

But indeed, anything anyone can do to lower the cost and yet still make a profit for the producer is a "win-win" for everyone operating in Z.

I'm just extremely happy that they are now available, as I know other D&RGW fans will be as well.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12155 by Chris333
Replied by Chris333 on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Cheaper than a AZL baywindow.
Cheaper than 2 MT freight cars.

Sounds good to me.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12156 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Ben, your efforts in redesigning the kit have paid off. When I first looked at the caboose I thought there were resin pieces involved because how smooth and seamless the body looked. John

More
12 years 4 months ago #12161 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Ben, Great job. Can a woodie be far behind? Jim :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #12174 by animek

Socalz44 wrote: Ben, Great job. Can a woodie be far behind? Jim :)

On the back burner yes, but not on my current "to do" or to "finish projects" list.

Ben

More
12 years 4 months ago #12179 by Socalz44
Okay, I won't hold my breath, but I will be waiting. Decals not necessary on some kits I hope? Jim :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #12181 by animek

Socalz44 wrote: Okay, I won't hold my breath, but I will be waiting. Decals not necessary on some kits I hope? Jim :)

Out of curiosity, what scheme of wood caboose are you looking for?

Ben

More
12 years 4 months ago #12186 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Cabeese look really really really nice. Even if windows and details are not same as Q caboose, I am pondering painting one silver.. But I am surprised, NOBODY has mentioned the cranes! What about those? Those scratch built? could they be made into a kit???

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12187 by animek

Kelley wrote: Cabeese look really really really nice. Even if windows and details are not same as Q caboose, I am pondering painting one silver.. But I am surprised, NOBODY has mentioned the cranes! What about those? Those scratch built? could they be made into a kit???

What do you mean they are not the same? Those cabooses were drawn using copies of D&RGW cabooses drawings from www.drgw.net. I wonder how closer those could be? :huh: :cheer:

Yes, the cranes are all scratch build, again drawn from original American Ohio cranes drawings.
They should become kits eventually, but I'm trying to find a way to simulate steel cables first, that's where I'm stuck right now. :(

Ben

More
12 years 4 months ago #12188 by 1Shay
Replied by 1Shay on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
I think it was meant not the same as CB&Q cabooses ...

More
12 years 4 months ago #12189 by animek

1Shay wrote: I think it was meant not the same as CB&Q cabooses ...

Ok, I get it now! :)

Ben

More
12 years 4 months ago #12192 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Now if you want drawings for a CB&Q caboose ;) NE 12 would be nice but the Q was the only ones that had it. DidnĀ“t stop Bachmann from putting all kinds of roadnames on them though :pinch:

More
12 years 4 months ago #12194 by Zscaleplanet
They should become kits eventually, but I'm trying to find a way to simulate steel cables first, that's where I'm stuck right now. :(

Ben[/quote]

Ben, in regards to steel cables you might try any crafts store that carries an extensive selection of beads for necklaces - as they do use a very fine cable for stringing the smaller beads, and you may just get lucky. Also look in that same area for fine wire on bobbin type spools - basically it's just steel thread and that may work. I have two daughters who used to do bead work, so I have shopped these areas more than once with them while in the local Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

From my 1/24 scale model car building days, I recall buying small ignition wire kits, in addition to a variety of other wiring that we used. The gauge of the wire was very small and did come in a variety of colors - including a silver color, which may suffice.

Last thought, but I think Radio Shack also carries spools of wire - thread if you will - in a silver, that my be able to be dulled down in some manner.

Lance,
Mesa, Arizona

More
12 years 4 months ago #12195 by Gerd
Replied by Gerd on topic Re: Denver & Rio Grande Western Cabooses
Ben, phosphor bronze wire is nice and straight and thin

More
12 years 4 months ago #12198 by Socalz44
Ben, I'm not a real prototype follower or modeler so I can't speak to 'what scheme'. What I, and I'm hoping others need, is a woodie version of your steel one show above. Something that would have been around here and there in 1900. Definately not the center cupola model MTL has shoved down our throats for decades. Jim :)

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds