Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Reversing Loop Advice Please

More
13 years 10 months ago #9265 by timbo
Reversing Loop Advice Please was created by timbo
Hi
Can anyone help/advise/point me in the right direction please?
I want to build a reversing loop for my layout, but need to do "something" to the tracks and wiring so I don't get a short.
Sorry to ask such a basic question, you know what us newbies can be like though!
Any help gratefully received!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #9266 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
Hello Tim,

welcome here at the ZCS board. And no there are no silly or dumb questions, just such answers...
...but I will try to avoid that... B)

About the reverse loop...

the easiest way would be to use the reverse loop track set from Maerklin. It's item# 8993 and includes three straight track sections 110mm and 1 section 25 mm ( Here's the pamphlet that follows with the set ). Those 110mm sections are numbered 1, 2 and 3 and have to be used in this order. Also if a train goes through this loop it has to follow this direction. Those three sections have both rails cut in the middle, and number 1 and 3 have diodes which closes the gap again, but allows the current to flow only if the polarity is set right. As I wrote the sections have to be used in the numbers order, but how much track is in between depends on how long your trains or at least how long the power pick up section of the train is. Here a simple plan, with those sections. Remember that the distance between the three sections has to fit the complete power pick up length of a train. The section 8993.4 (25mm) is meant to close the distance which is related by the parallel distance of tracks after a turn out.

Now if the train goes into the loop it will pass the first gap, and the current is still allowed to flow through the diodes into that section. When the train passes the second gap, which has no diodes, then the train stops, and you have to change the polarity on your power source (turn the knob into the other direction...:) ). Now the current is allowed to flow through the diodes at the third gap and thus the part between gap two and three has power again and the train starts moving on.

All this can be done with other track sections too, if you cut those gaps and bridge them with diodes. Of course you can also use only gaps at two places and thus create a block where you chose the power feed from either side of this block with a switch deciding if the block gets power from the incoming side, no power, or from the exit side. In this case you are also free to choose in which direction your train goes through the loop.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe
Attachments:

More
13 years 10 months ago #9269 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
Hello Timbo and welcome to the forum. As ULie says, there are no stupid questions ("He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who fails to ask a question is a fool forever").

Marklin also used to make a special solenoid 8947 polarity reversing switch, which automates the process. You do need to include one of the switching tracks (8529, 8539 or 8589) in the loop. There's a diagram somewhere, but of course now that I need it I can't find it :blush:

Unfortunately Marklin don't make it any longer, but you may be able to find one on eBay.

More
13 years 10 months ago #9271 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please

Marklin also used to make a special solenoid 8947 polarity reversing switch, which automates the process. You do need to include one of the switching tracks (8529, 8539 or 8589) in the loop. There's a diagram somewhere, but of course now that I need it I can't find it

Here's the 8947 manual . On page two the use for a reverse loop is shown

Here at z-world you can find lots of Maerklin Z-scale manuals.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
13 years 10 months ago #9272 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
Thanks Uwe. I'd forgotten that you can use the 9847 to run trains in opposite directions. What a useful device!

More
13 years 10 months ago #9275 by timbo
Replied by timbo on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
Hi and thanks for your excellant help (and kind wishes)! Sorry for the delay in thanking you, I live in the UK so witgh the time difference....
Best wishes
Tim

More
13 years 10 months ago #9276 by timbo
Just a quick update, Ebay has given up both the loop kit and the switch unit!
My layout, once built will be named with Ebay in mind as this is my main supplier!
Regards to all Tim

More
13 years 10 months ago #9277 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
I have both #8946 and #8947 units available in a small quantity... new, never used, in original boxes. B) I don't charge feeBay prices. :dry: Please contact me directly.

More
13 years 10 months ago #9284 by timbo
Hi
Thanks for the offer, but I have bought!
What else do you have?
Regards
Tim

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #9285 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Reversing Loop Advice Please
What else do you need? I'm selling off all of my Marklin. I have probably every piece of Marklin track, in original boxes, never used (no flex track)... including turn-outs, circuit tracks (both straight and curved), control boxes, signals, etc... and, a large selection of IBL pre-cut cork road-bed for Marklin track. I also have a list of Full Throttle and Micro-Trains I am thinning out. I still need to put together a list of Marklin locos and rolling-stock I'm selling off. If you have model numbers, let me know... I might have it.

Anyone reading this that is interested, please send me a message... This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds