Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Dead uncouplers?

More
15 years 5 months ago #774 by Todd
Dead uncouplers? was created by Todd
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I guess its as good as any, although I don't feel very new to Z as I have been building this layout for a long, long time

Question: has anyone ever run into some dead MTL z scale uncouplers? When I mean dead I mean real dead, not enough magnetism to pick up a track nail, much less operate couplers. I picked up four sets of these through my LHS a few months ago, and finally got to where I need them, and they are just plain deader than a doornail.

If you have run into this, is there any way to bring them back? Right now I have them stuck to a really, really strong ring magnet, but I'm not sure that will restore enough magnetism to work. Is this weird?

Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #775 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Dead uncouplers?
Todd, I never had a dead uncoupler. Which ones do you have. The one s on a sectional track or the big ones. I fee the big magnets work better. Also, did you try to flip it over. I doubt it makes a difference, but just maybe.

More
15 years 4 months ago #776 by jdo
Replied by jdo on topic Re:Dead uncouplers?
run another magnet over it, and it should restore the magnetism.

More
15 years 4 months ago #779 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Re:Dead uncouplers?
John, they are the big ones that mount under the track. I have had them hooked up to a big magnet for a couple of days, and they have some of the magnetism restored, but it isn't enough. I had read somewhere that someone had used some small neodymes outside the track as uncoupling magnets. I have a bunch of small slot car magnets and I think I'm going to try them and see how they work. I'll let you know how it works out.

Todd

More
15 years 4 months ago #783 by jdo
Replied by jdo on topic Re:Dead uncouplers?
If I remember my physics(unfortuatly too long ago), you must run the magnet across the magnet you are trying to magnetize, try that and see if that works. I am not sure but north pole versus south pole of the magnet might be an issue.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds