Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Real Beginner Stuff (2) - Track(cont'd)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2373 by yarwak
(I want thank all of you who responded to my first posting. I gather the best way to attach my track is to a) blow torch the bottom of the cork bed to hot glue it my base and then b) use a nail gun to attach the rail ties to the cork <g>.)

Next question - cutting the track to length. I was thinking of using wire cutters but then I got worried about burring and then getting joiners to work. Suggestions?

Thanks again... Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2374 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Real Beginner Stuff (2) - Track(cont'd)
Nick, Wire cutters are the thing, but probably not the ones in your tool box. Go to you LHS and ask for track cutters. A popular brand is Xuron and are identifiable because of orange grips. Also pick up a small flat file there for deburring the track ends. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2376 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re:Real Beginner Stuff (2) - Track(cont'd)
Nick, Like Jim says, we all (the entire train community) use the Xuron cutters. They are harder (more tempered than most) and available at good hobby shops, on-line, etc, not just train stores. Also, you can use any flush cut diagonal cutters (the ones you normally see in tool stores or electronics part houses). Some are just as good, some may have less tempered jaws. Xuron's are $15. They just have to ne flush cut (that means one side looks near perfect flat when the jaws are closed). If there is a V on the edge, like many stronger cutters, then the really distort the rail where cut and you have to do a lot more filing. With flush cuts, the cut is very clean an very little filing is necessary. Cut top to bottom for the best cut, not across the rail (like if it was already on the roadbed, you could only cut across the rail). You'll have to file more that way.

Buy some small quality jewelers files to clean up the ends. Gyro (E-ro) makes good one, at most hobby, RC-car and train shops. The smallest Orange handle ones are better. The larger Red handles are OK but the orange ones you'll appreciate more.

If you learn how to file champhered ends (the rail base angled downward at the end, the vertical web narrowed a bit and the bottom surface up a tad) your rail joiners will start easier. Use MTL's joiners, they are strong and will work on both MTL and Märklin's track. Märklin's joiners are thinner, software and not quite wide enough at the base of the rail and will get quite distorted when out on MTL's flex.

Jeff
SF Bay Area Z

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds