Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Hello, completed first layout, a few questions

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12678 by seldredg
Hi all. I started and nearly finished my first model RR layout about 10 years ago, and had to set it aside. I finished it over the holidays - a Noch Barenweiller with full catenary. I needed a small layout, and the Barenweiller offered some complexity, and with catenary, the ability to run two trains at once on the same track, and sometimes in the same space if you forget which switch is which.

The new (1998/99) engines sat all this time, but with some Labelle 108, a clean track and wheels, and a little on track time, they run fairly well. The whatever-it-is that came with the 81861 starter set runs smoothly and slow when warmed up, the 81418 less so. It doesn't like curves and doesn't pick up quite as well. They're both loud (less so with bodies off??), at least compared to the Tenshodo Hudson style I also have.

I'd like to clean and re-oil them. I read somewhere on the site about cleaning, but don't know where now. I think a brand of electronic sprayer was recommended.

ScottE
La Honda, CA
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #12679 by ztrack
Welcome to Z Central Station! Congratulations on finishing your first layout! I am big fan of running under the wire. Nothing is better than watching the pantographs move up and down.

I learned the cleaning technique from Ken Brynzk, former Marklin locomotive repair guru. Any electrical contact cleaner will work, but you must make sure that it is safe on plastic and non-lubricating. I bought a large spray bottle in the hardware a few years back and still have it.

Remove the shell, and the brushes of the locomotive. Make sure you use the spray in a well ventilated area. It does give me headaches. If the loco is truck based, I remove the trucks and clean these first. Usually most of the time, only the trucks need cleaned. Occasionally I will spray out the motor as well. I spray on a white paper towel. You can see the old oil and grime collect on the towel.

Keep spraying until all dirt is gone. Let dry completely then relube with Labell 108, HTM's oil, or Marklin new fine oil (the clear type). Put the brushes back in place, and the shell. Run the loco for a few minutes to work in the oil. You should be good to go.

Good luck!
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: seldredg

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12680 by ryuen
For diagnosing running issues I always consult this link: www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html
It also has step by step cleaning/lubing etc instructions with pictures of all main types of Marklin locos.

Unrelated to your question but I do have to say it: this is the first Noch layout I've seen that isn't left 'as is' and it looks fantastic. Great work.

More
12 years 3 months ago #12682 by seldredg
Thanks for the reference. Nice site. I'll find out this afternoon how much better the engines run.

Thanks for kind words. Returning the layout to nature with limited trees and building gives the layout a fairly spacious feeling even though it's small. The mythology is tourists and hikers take the train to the site to view the megalithic structures (two on layout; others along the ley line that connects them on other layouts as yet unbuilt).

ScottE
La Honda, CA

More
12 years 3 months ago #12712 by Socalz44
Hello and welcome. I saw the monolith before I read your description. Clever. Jim

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds