Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12228 by eruby79
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I am very new to this.

I just bought the Rokuhan controller and track for a simple shelf layout (12" x 43")that I hope to have finished before Christmas and would like to run a few lights using the C001. I see that it has a plug for accessories that looks like the feeder cable would fit into. However I can't seem to find an "accessory cable". My plan is to buy an extra feeder or feeder extension cable, and cut off the other plug.
My questions are:
Which wire is the ground (one with the stripe or w/o)
Will the transformer be able to safely run a few lighted accessories (like the lighted trees or lamp posts)
Is there a better way to handle this.
Oh, I need to run the layout using batteries because there are no outlets near the shelf where the layout will live.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12239 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
Im not too familiar with the rokuhan controller specifically but it looks like it outputs 12v dc through the accessory port with a max of 300 mA. So you should be able to run a few lights no problem. They would need to have some sort of resistor though to lower the voltage.

as for the positive or negative it doesn't say in the instruction manual.
instructions in english

a comprehensive guide for Rokuhan track by David K. Smith
1:220: Rokuhan Track FAQ

Hopefully that helps a little.

Zac

More
12 years 5 months ago #12240 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
I'll say one thing; of all the "big" manufacturers I’ve had to contact on something like this, Rokuhan is the fastest at answering. They actually seem to CARE about their customers. Earlier today I emailed Tony over at Rokuhan and repeated what you asked. His English is a little broken, but you should be able to understand him easily enough. Here's what he has to say…

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your query. Actually it is mentioned on our instruction sheet for C001 but we are sorry because it is in Japanese. We are now planning to produce C003 controller which will be same as C001 but advanced features with English instruction together.

The followings are the answers for you.

1) Our feeder cable is able to use as accessory cable.

2) Extension cable can be used as well.

3) The wire of feeder cable. The white line side is positive side
and other is grand.

4) Total power should be 800mA including for trains, accessory,
side connector.

5) Side connector which is for additional turnout switch. It is
just short time thus no need to consider so much.

6) Accessory which we specified as max 300mA. It means a lot
of LED because the LED is usually 20mA or 30mA per piece.
But need to add some resistor to control the LED consumption
power. It should be studied at your side.

7) The above is based on with AC transformer. Less power a little
if you use batteries.

8) Cable for the accessory will be sold later. But it is after we
develop some accessories.

We hope you would understand above and let us know if any further question.
We will be appreciated if you give this informations on to ZCentralStation.

Thanks and best regards,

Tony Ichikawa /Erina (Secretary for Tony)
ROKUHAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: markm, eruby79

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12241 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
I have been working with Tony and Rokuhan for about 16 months now and they are really good at answering consumer questions about their product. Erina Is Tony's Secretary but much more as she is the voice in English of Tony and the Company. I work with here on all the translations to get to a more colloquial English version from exact translation. In addition I received a copy of Erin's reply to Joe also.

Re: the accessory socket and what cables to use - you have the answer already to that above. The only thing I can add is do not use incandescent lamps like grain of wheat or rice mini bulbs but use LED for lighting and ballast each LED or group of LEDs with the proper resistor to limit the current as required by the device when fed with 12vdc to the device as failure to do this will see them burn out. This is also important when running on battery power to conserve the power so you are not replacing batteries every few hours. The C001 controller can run two Micro trains Engines continuously for about 12 hours with a fresh set of batteries. So for me they last for more than the length of a two weekend show with double headed engines on the point. One source of LEDs is Ngineering.com and he provides ballasting resistors and details on what value is needed for what colour of LED using 12vdc. If you need more help it is always available on this forum.

best regards Garth

cheerz Garth
The following user(s) said Thank You: eruby79

More
12 years 5 months ago #12243 by eruby79
Replied by eruby79 on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
Thank you for the quick responses.
It is nice to get a response from the manufacturer so easily and to find a company that actually cares about customer service. Garth or Tony please thank Erina and Tony for me.

Which address should I to contact Rokuhan? (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.?)

V/R
Eric

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #12244 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
Eric, yes, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. would be the email address to use, but please don’t discount other sources before writing them. This ZCentralStation’s forum (here) AND the chat room (usually hoppin’ in the evenings) for starters. And if you haven’t done so already, please check out David K Smith’s very informative “ Rokuhan Track FAQ ” as Zac (Mr. White) suggested. DKS also has a few other pages linked to from his FAQ which he has devoted to Rokuhan as well, “Working with Rokuhan Switches”, Parts 1 thru 4,
Controlling Rokuhan switches ,
Working with Rokuhan's power-routing switches ,
Notching track to fit Rokuhan switches ,
and
Making Rokuhan switches Non-Power Routing (power everywhere) ].

Hope this helps.

Joe

More
12 years 5 months ago #12245 by eruby79
Replied by eruby79 on topic Re: Rokuhan controller and accessory lights?
Joe/Zac,
Thanks for the links to David's blog. I actually did read them and it was his blog that made me decide to try the Rokuhan track. Well that and I needed a max of 145mm radius curves.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds