Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Ready to buy a optivisor

More
12 years 6 months ago #11902 by soccrdad30
Ready to buy a optivisor was created by soccrdad30
I have started looking at optivisors today. I know I want one with LEDs, but what are your recommendations? John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11903 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Ready to buy a optivisor
Good luck to you. I've got one but can't stand it. I've learned to use one of those magnifying lights (the circle light that goes around the lens on a flexible arm base), and only use the optivisor when absolutely impossible to do something without it.

Joe

More
12 years 6 months ago #11904 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re: Ready to buy a optivisor
Before spending $ on an Optivisor, stop in at the local pharmacy and try on a pair of cheap reading glasses. That's what I use. Optivisors give me incredible eyestrain on top of a headache from the headband.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11905 by Zcratchman_Joe

David K. Smith wrote: ...cheap reading glasses.

LOL, I should have been more clear. I need to use the magnifying light along WITH a pair of those cheap reading glasses!

More
12 years 6 months ago #11906 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re: Ready to buy a optivisor
Out here in the Pacific NW we have Dollar Tree stores with cheap reading glasses (cheaters) for $1.00 a pair. I have several different strengths.
Harbor Freight has an "Optivisor" with LED light and 4 different lenses which can be used seperately or with another strength lense. If I remember correctly mine was under $15.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11921 by Zcratchman_Joe
I just happened to come across this today at American Science and Surplus, www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/15787 It's an illuminated, magnifying helping hand with a stand to hold a soldering iron. It's rather like a regular "helping hands" but with the addition of the light (and the soldering pencil holder, which I assume doesn't need to be attached if you're not soldering). Looks like it would be great for soldering small stuff.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds