Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 27, 2024

Laser Cut Wood Kits

More
15 years 3 months ago #1187 by TheWag
Laser Cut Wood Kits was created by TheWag
I'm working on my first laser kit (GCLaser's farm house) and then will be working on two of the 61' centerbeam lumber cars. I have a few questions:

Paint: I'm currently using Badger water based acrylic. I like how it looks for wood siding, but I doubt it would work for metal rolling stock. I've see a strong preference to Floquil here (or so it appears), but Floquil's (Testor's) website has two versions: enamel and acrylic. Which version would y'all suggest?

Filler: I've got some gaps in the trim pieces I'd like to fill...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #1188 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Laser Cut Wood Kits
Ben, I think you may want to stick with acrylics for painting wood. They leave a finish that just seems more real to me. Enamel paint simply covers and you are stuck with the result. Acrylics can be 'played' by add more water for a more transluscent finish. Plus, I have found that weathering acrylics is more realistic than on enamel. Don't forget water colors either. As for filling gaps, there are a few brands. I use 'Squadron Green Putty' available at most railroad hobby shops. Show us a pic when you finish. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #1190 by RRAY
Replied by RRAY on topic Re:Laser Cut Wood Kits
You can use Squadron Putty, Testors Putty, or any of the other plastic model putty's for filling, but make sure you have an assortment of small putty tools to help you get a smooth surface where the putty goes.

Sometimes I just use full strength white glue applied with a needle to fill cracks and gaps.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds