Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

My next project, Brass Kits.

More
12 years 11 months ago #10869 by soccrdad30
My next project, Brass Kits. was created by soccrdad30
I need some help from the expert brass/stainless steel builders. I have many beautiful brass kits that I want to start working on. I have a few simple ones that I am planning to start with. But I am trying to figure out which bending tool to purchase. Some of the bending tools are about $20 and can go as high as $90. Which bending tool would you suggest? And is there anything I should be concerned with when buying one? Thanks, John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #10870 by Gerd
Replied by Gerd on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
Hi John,

I use Hold N Fold, I think the 5' version. Good solid tool, not the cheapest, but as mostly in live: you get what you pay for

More
12 years 11 months ago #10872 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
I use the Etch Mate 3C (MicroMark) but it's also nice to also have a smaller one handy.

Joe

More
12 years 11 months ago #10879 by theshylion
Replied by theshylion on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
Hi John,
I have both of these tools and use them. They are good bending tools, Kalama “ Bug” Photo Etch Bending Tool and the Etch Mate 3C Bending Tool. BUT to me they both leave a little to be desired to me and I will explain.
Most buildings need 450 degrees in bends, that is five right angle bends. The first bend is the little glue or soldering tab, second third and forth are the basic corners. Which these benders are really great. The last bend is the problem child when using the above benders. You can not make a true 90 degree bend but have to bend the material to make it work. That is when I use pliers like a Xuron 575 Micro Bending Pliers or a T- 200 short nose pliers from Miller Engineering to finish off the bend or adjust others. (MY favorite is a smooth jaw needle nose with smooth jaws and the jaws themselves are milled to a sharp 90 degrees along the whole edge, which is really great for small adjustments and finally bends.) Made mine from Lowe’s micro needle point pliers. I use it a lot when dealing in brass .
Dwight

More
12 years 11 months ago #10880 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
I too use the 5.5" Hold N Fold from the Small Shop. I also have a small bent needle nose plier that I too filed the end to a point. I use it for so many micro bends. For my Thrall's I had to machine my own bending tool. I actually use it three times while bending those confounded ribbed sides. I'd include a photo, but don't have one of it.

I have looked into getting one of the Micro-Mark benders, but have not yet.

I see myself machining a new bender for the Maxi IV wellcars I have had etched. All parts are bent using the bent needle nose plier mentioned above except the car body. Need the big bender for that.

I am working 6/7 days a week for another 2-3 more weeks. After that will have time to rest and begin working on Z again.

Depending on what you want to design for etching, you might have to design also a special bending tool.

Something I discovered, for building corners, make the building sides in 2 halves. One 90 degree corner and one 90 degree tab for each half. You won't have the problem with the last bend as mentioned it the earlier post bending a 4 sided building in one piece. Just something I discovered.

If I may be of any other assistance, my experience is at your service!

Hobo Tim :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #10889 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
Thank you for the information Gerd, Joe, and Tim. I saw the lowend benders in the $20.00 range and thought that it might be ok to start with, but since we are in Z, and there is a good selection of brass/stainless steel kits I should be getting a better and more reliable bending tool. John

More
12 years 6 months ago #11907 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.
Purchase update. I bought this 5.5 inch Photo Etch Bending Tool off Ebay and just received it this past week. This item is labeled a "B" unit because of some minor deformity, but for $40.00 with shipping included, I thought it was a good buy.

Now I need to set some time on the side to find a simple brass kit and try out my new Bending Tool.

Attachments:

More
12 years 6 months ago #11908 by Zcratchman_Joe
I think the name, "bending tool", is a misnomer. It's actually a bending VISE. WE'RE the bending TOOL! :laugh:

More
12 years 6 months ago #11917 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.

Zcratchman_Joe wrote: I think the name, "bending tool", is a misnomer. It's actually a bending VISE. WE'RE the bending TOOL! :laugh:

If you use a bending vise a whole bunch, I would expect that would make you a bending fool. ;-)

More
12 years 6 months ago #11919 by Zcratchman_Joe
One last thing. DKS (David K. Smith) has some great help for working with brass located at jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_1.htm I highly recommend reading though these pages before attempting to do any brass work. The info is invaluable for anyone new to brass.

More
12 years 6 months ago #11946 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re: My next project, Brass Kits.

GNFan wrote:

Zcratchman_Joe wrote: I think the name, "bending tool", is a misnomer. It's actually a bending VISE. WE'RE the bending TOOL! :laugh:

:S

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds