Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 04, 2024

AZL January 2013 New Release – Part 3

More
11 years 3 months ago #15030 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: AZL January 2013 New Release – Part 3
Rob, when we get into these types of “discussions”, tagged inside your original post on new AZL products, do you feel it helps or hinders sales?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15032 by Minuteman
Replied by Minuteman on topic Re: AZL January 2013 New Release – Part 3
This discussion is interesting, but basically pointless.

May I, with all due respect, ask how many of you actually run a business, possibly in conjunction with production in China?

Sorry to say so, friends, but some of the comments made just make me cringe. It feels like me thinking that the Boston Bruins would win the Stanley Cup year after year if only they'd listen to me... nope, I have zero experience in that business, I'm just a fan. And a wise guy :laugh: .

If the owners of AZL are "rich" (whatever that means), then this is a clear indication that they are pursuing a sound business policy. That helps them make a profit, which is nice for them, but it's also good news for us, because it means they're still around and, indeed, offering new products. That's what counts in the long run - someone looking into Z may find a certain heavyweight gone, but the company that makes them is still around. Which means there is a fair chance for more heavyweights in the future.

I fully subscribe to the principle that everybody's entitled to an opinion. But in this case, I find that some of the comments made are actually very unfair. Launching a new product which you will need to have manufactured by a third party is tough work these days, and it will most likely get you some sleepless nights.

Much as I can understand the frustration of maybe missing out on certain models this time, AZL now has actual sales data to go by and, as already promised, will increase production runs. There you are - that's a sound way to run a business, and that's good news for Z scale.

My apologies for being so outspoken - you're as right from your side as I am from mine. I just had to get this off of my chest :unsure: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.JA

More
11 years 3 months ago #15033 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: AZL January 2013 New Release – Part 3

Minuteman wrote:
My apologies for being so outspoken - you're as right from your side as I am from mine. I just had to get this off of my chest :unsure: .

Pheww....glad that weight is off your chest. Maybe pointless, but still felt compelled to ramble a bit.

The only thing we want heavy on any chest is the weight of the postman's shoulder bag that is full of new Z offerings, be they from AZL, MTL or whomever.

Bring on the Z.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15034 by betto

tealplanes wrote:
This does produce less than perfect pieces during the start up of production and I have always wished that both MTL and AZL would offer 'less than perfect' or 'seconds' at a much reduced price and have them clearly labeled as 'pre production' pieces and there is no guarantee of any consistency nor quality.

This would supply the modeling world with 'junk' and 'scrap' pieces to populate our yards and sidings. There is always junker pieces found in real life in scrap yards and out of the way places.

What a great Idea Loren, I remember when MDC/Rounhouse (before they were sold to Horizon) would offer grab bags of not perfect cars in N, this was a great way for me to practice weathering and re-paints ect, can we get you to ask MTL Joe if this great idea can go further?

Mike.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15035 by betto

ztrack wrote:
Now you naysayers. I few years ago, I got absolutely crucified by the lack of autoracks. Remember that? The exact same criticism came out. We need more, keep inventory, etc. Again, these were new cars with no historical data and the best guess was made. So what did AZL do? On their 2nd run of autoracks, they used their data and made more cars. And now we have inventory a plenty with more than enough to go around. I am still waiting for the thank you for this but I guess that fact missed.

But here is the good news. More heavy-weights are coming. New styles, new roads and higher quantities.

I remember a few guys complaining that the LHS didnt have this or that, he started to stock those items and there still on the shelf years later, doesnt matter what we do some still find something to complain about.

AZL has been a pioneer in this scale regardless of who what why or when.

Mike.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15036 by Mr.JA
I have a few opinions that will "upset" a few folks, but what else is new... :woohoo:

I think some of you have your money priorities misaligned. For me... Z comes first. I always have money for Z. To this extreme... I avoid eating. Two advantages... I keep my weight in check and I get to buy whatever Z I want.

I also don't own a home... no children... not married. Each one of these is more money to spend on Z. I also don't pay rent. I actually moved half-way around the world for a new contract that I specified that I don't pay rent or any local taxes.

Yea, yea... I know what most of you are going to write... "we all have real world, daily, living expenses." True... you are correct. But, those are life choices you have decided upon.

My only concerns in the Z world are... you get what you paid for... as in, if you buy a Z product, it better have a level of quality for the price point. :dry:

More
11 years 3 months ago #15037 by tealplanes
Alex,
Some will envy you and some will pity you, but your choices are strictly your own and should not be criticized by any.

Since I know you own a lot of Z and you are willing to not eat in order to own that much Z, then I'd guess you are probably emaciated, in danger of blowing away in a mild breeze and have to put lead in your shoes to keep you from doing that :o)

Have you received your Big Boy yet?

Yes, you should get value for the dollar spent, ie, if you spend 100 pennies, you better get 100 pennies worth of product, that isn't broken, bent, or dirty.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15039 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: AZL January 2013 New Release – Part 3
Im not eating either... :( . I read that some dude was going around measuring Subway sandwiches footlongs and finding they are short of 12 inches, and now he is suing them. HMMM I think I will measure me some railroad ties.
I know everyone wants empty shelves but it would be nice to walk in a store and just buy some Z, and not pick through bits and pieces.I was in one of the Bay Area's largest train stores and what did I find in Z? 1 set of plastic wheels that was there for years and years and the tap and die set. I thought we wanted new people in Z? IF all the cool stuff is bought up the first day (I am sure more heavyweights are on their way.) and it is only found at higher than MSP on auction sights, how would somebody jump in?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15040 by Zcratchman_Joe

Kelley wrote: I was in one of the Bay Area's largest train stores and what did I find in Z? 1 set of plastic wheels that was there for years and years and the tap and die set.

Good point. I have one LHS 35 miles away that "usually" carries ONE Z loco and a handful of cars. That's it for more than a hundred miles. So I'm just curious, does anyone know of a brick and motar store that actually carries a large (I stress the word large here) selection of Z scale anywhere in the country?

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #15041 by Zcratchman_Joe

Mr.JA wrote: But, those are life choices you have decided upon.

Alex, some "choices" in life are not so much choices as they are pure luck. And what of those that discover Z later in life? Should they divorce their wife… disown their children… sell their home and move 10,000 miles in order to afford Z scale? If that sir, is your opinion, you need some professional Z Scale help.

There was a time when I played with all sorts of toys. First one then another, tossing the first aside when I got bored with it… but then I discovered toy trains. I had matured and was able to figure out the complexities of working with the track and wires and wheels. And I could push other toys all around the track with my trains. Toy trains trumped all other toys!

There was a time in my life where I’d spend hour upon hour in my bedroom playing with the trains (and the GI Joes that towered over the trains but somehow, in a child’s mind it all seemed to fit together)… but before too long I matured a bit more and I discovered girls. Girls didn’t much care for toy trains… and a young boy’s libido forces a strong magnetism toward girls. Girls trumped toy trains!

As a teenager, girls were great. Girls were fun to be with. Girls were sweet as sugar. Girls were also a big pain in the butt. And with toy trains what seemed like long forgotten, I discovered cars and Harleys. Cars and Harleys worked great in conjunction with girls in a myriad of ways. Sure girls didn’t necessarily “like” cars and motorcycles in the same way as guys, but they enjoyed going to the outdoor theater in a car, and anywhere on the back of a bike. In fact if one didn’t “have” a girl, one could easily get a girl, if you had a car or a bike. I matured a bit more and with a part time job and piggy bank cracked open it was time to buy my first small car and soon thereafter a (smaller) Harley. Cars and Harleys trumped girls.

As time went on, newer cars and Harleys had to be paid for, and needed gas, so a good full time job was in order… and more schooling was needed in order to get the good job to pay for the newer cars and Harleys. Since I come from a (very much) less than privileged background, this schooling (and rent and food, etc.) had to be paid for by none other than yours truly. Now, yet a bit more matured, Living alone and paying rent, food, schooling etc. on one’s own, trumped cars and Harleys.

While going to school and paying for it on their own, one learns economics the hard way. One also learns that two people living together and sharing everything, can live for much less than two people living separately. Hence, girls (now young women) come back into the picture in a much more defined manner. Living together while in school seemed fine for young women back in the day… but mentally maturing faster than men, and with them also believing in that saying; “Why buy the cow when you’re getting the milk for free?” Marriage and children started popping up in the conversations more and more. Repeated attempts in finding a female in this age category that did not start mentioning these two things, marriage and children, proved fruitless. One must finally come to the conclusion that it must be something in genetics, or breeding, or hormones, or “something” that forces young women to bring up kids and marriage so often. And maturing a bit more, and realizing that marriage and kids will be short in coming… if only to keep driving cars and Harleys and keeping that libido active, I secede to the ideas of women. Good economics trump living alone and paying rent, food, schooling etc. on one’s own.

Now married, with children… cars and Harleys in hand, renting is no longer good enough for the (now not quite as young) woman. A home is no longer good enough for her… she needs to own a house. You mature a bit more and come to the understanding that to her it’s not “Home Sweet Home” but rather “Home Sweet House”. A man’s need to fill his libidos need always seems to be foremost in his thoughts (I’m sure that was proven in numerous studies), so now overextended almost everywhere I turn… Mortgage, health insurance, car and bike payments, taxes, food, clothes, etc., etc., etc. trump good economics.

Nearly broke, still 5 years before the youngest starts this same adventure on his own, and happily married with kids, it’s time to start relaxing. Perhaps a hobby besides motorcycle riding is in store for me in my declining years? Hmmm, I remember back in the day… before girls, and cars and Harleys, and school, and work, and a wife and kids I really enjoyed… toy trains. But this time around maybe something a bit more sophisticated. Maybe Z scale… yes that’s it, Z scale! Yes, Z Scale will trump everything!!! That is, if among other things I go without a wife, and kids, and cars, and Harleys, and a house, health insurance, clothes and food. Sure, it’s worth it, right?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15042 by tealplanes
Loved you story Joe. A nice change of pace from the mad Z rush we are all in.

Two thumbs up on this one.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15045 by Mr.JA

tealplanes wrote: Have you received your Big Boy yet?

No, Loren... not yet. I won't see the Big Boy until March. I have a business trip to the U.S. at that time. I don't want Anthony sending it to me in Sweden... as I'm not willing to pay an additional 19% VAT. :blink:

I don't understand the term... Value Added Tax. :dry: The gooberment is touching something that I already paid for. They are NOT adding any value to it, nor are they improving it's performance. :angry:

More
11 years 3 months ago #15047 by Zcratchman_Joe

Mr.JA wrote: I don't understand the term... Value Added Tax. :dry: The gooberment is touching something that I already paid for. They are NOT adding any value to it, nor are they improving it's performance. :angry:

Yea, and you've already paid almost 12,900.00 Swedish Kronas for it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.JA

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds