Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 04, 2024

Medvend Panel Mount Controllers In Stock

More
11 years 4 months ago #14643 by ztrack

Ztrack Center now has in stock 'Snail' speed panel mount analog controllers. These panel mount controllers are made form Medvend in Hungary. Medvend is the makers of our very popular Snail 9volt battery controllers. The panel mount controllers feature:

Control for very low speeds
Smooth acceleration and braking
Pulse width modulation (PWM)
Variable frequency
For Z, N, TT, H0 scale
Easy to mount
Output current up to 5A
Overload protection
Input voltage 6V-24V DC (adapter not included)

The new panel mount is $22.75. To order, please visit:

www.ztrackcenter.com/electronics

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14644 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re: Medvend Panel Mount Controllers In Stock
Mine is on it's way to me.........right Rob??? ;-)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14645 by ztrack
Why yes it is! Shipping today!

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14646 by jrb
Modified a Snail 9V twin pack:

Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago #14649 by ztrack
Very cool use of the 2-pack! Now it makes me wish we had brought in the panel mounts sooner. I like the layout. The table is perfect for your layout! It looks like you can run two trains and keep a third in the middle siding ready to go. Is that correct?

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14659 by jrb
Thanks!

Yes that is correct.

And run any train on any track too.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14667 by rvn2001
Got mine in the mail today. Now....to mount it in a panel.....

More
11 years 4 months ago #14668 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Medvend Panel Mount Controllers In Stock
Question........is this controller adequate enough to power several modules? Would definitely be nice to have this built into the side of a module to save space and be handy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14670 by ztrack
Good question. I am checking with Medvend. I don't think there would be a limitation. I tried to compare the output to a MRC 1300, but can't quite compare apples to apples. I will post Medvend's response as soon as I have it.

Interesting side note, MRC is reporting that the 1300s are out of stock.

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago #14671 by tealplanes
I sure like the idea of having these units in the module side panels. Would make for simple and neat appearance power source. So, I guess my basic question is do you think it would power my half dozen modules or so? It does mention having up to 5 amps power output. If you divided your track into several blocks could you have one for each block and then as your train entered the next block you could turn that block down or off while the rest of the track was alive.

How about some of you smarter than the average bear types. What do you think of that idea?

BTW Rob, do you run DCC or just DC?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14672 by ztrack
Loren I am so with you on this. I am thinking more and more about making a panel for my modules. Unfortunately, electronics are not my strong suite.

I am still analog. But I am really tempted about trying DCC. The new drop in boards from Digitrax really have me thinking. I need to find some time and start playing. I know I will love it!

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago #14673 by tealplanes
It's embarrassing to confess that I have owned the deluxe NCE setup for about 5 years now and have never sat down to learn it or install it. You know how this making a living from the hobby eats up lots of time, whether you are doing it full or part time.

Until I do, I do want to panel mount some controls. Not only will they look good, but take up a lot less space than any portable power source like the MRC 1300 which has to be put on some sort of stand at shows. Would be nice to have it built in and just plug in and go.

Still waiting for some smarter than me guy to say whether a block system of sorts with several control units will fit my wants and needs.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14674 by rvn2001
I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you match polarity so the direction switches would all face the same way.

I have my MRC 1300s mounted to a board that mounts to the bottom of my yard module frame. I also put this board on the table under the yard module when we display on top of tables.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14678 by tealplanes
I'm thinking that if you had the direction switch reversed on the next module the loco was about to enter that it would just short out and stop? Or could there be a cloud of smoke and then a bad hair day ensue?

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14679 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Medvend Panel Mount Controllers In Stock
multiple blocks from a single power source were originally the way to go with DC power to large layouts. Things get a bit complicated when you introduce multiple power sources. You have to have a way of ensuring that the power across a block boundary is matched on both sides otherwise your engine will sit there and behave like a shuttle cock at best at worst you get a puff of blue smoke and that special smell when you have burnt wire and insulation. typically you would have a block switch to select the power source and another to select the track direction in the block so to cross a boundary you make sure the track direction is the same on both sides even if you are changing throttles in the cross over. With multiple track power sources you have to learn to never change track direction at the controller it was only used for track speed. With AC powered controllers I always made sure I had a common AC ground between my power packs but with polarized plugs used today this is usually not a problem unless you are in an old house and the sockets have not been upgraded.

regards Garth

cheerz Garth

More
11 years 4 months ago #14680 by ztrack
Here is the response from Medvend. We are good to go!

The maximum load of these controllers is 5A. This is the only limit. The size of the layout or the amount of the tracks are indifferent. The power consumption of one Marklin "Z" locomotive is no more than 200-250mA, but others (i.e. Microtrains) is less than 100-150mA. What is important is the good contact between the tracks. In a really large layout - if it has no sections- several power tracks can be used to avoid the voltage drop.
If there are modules, also the good contact is the most important thing between the modules.

If the layout is divided several isolated sections, several AN-1/C can be used. One controller for each section.(i.e. one is for the main track, and others for the side tracks) In this case both of the rails must be cut at the section borders for isolation.

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago #14681 by tealplanes
Ah ha! I thought so. And Garth is correct about having the direction toggle the same on adjoining modules. Can you imagine the whip lash of all the Z passengers if a train went from 60mph forward to instant reverse, not to mention the blue smoke most often associated with direct shorts. Thanks Rob.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14687 by markm
Loren,
The electrical issues of multiple throttles aren't major. Essentially it's a reversing loop which switches between the two throttles rather than reversing polarity. Add a few diodes and maybe a couple of transistors and you can protect the locos from polarity reversal and add something like the Marklin 8389 switch at the ends and you can make the operation automatic. If you're really intrested, let me know and I can go into more details.

Mark

More
11 years 4 months ago #14688 by tealplanes
Mark,

I am interested, but coming clean, I am a total dunce when it comes to electronics. Now if it is drawn out very simply for the absolute beginner, then maybe I can put it together without burning down half of the state or Oregon.

I can do the mechanical aspect of it as I have decent hands, but the part about understanding any schematics or such is a bit beyond my pay grade. I sure wish I had taken electronics instead of art class way back when.

From what I read of Rob's factory response, if I do isolate both tracks, then it is a simple matter of making sure that the two adjacent track sections not have one block forward and the other in reverse. A DPDT would also allow one to 'turn off' that block of track completely.

Years ago, I did make a small N scale layout and had it divided into several blocks, but this time I want to basically power each block separately.

I think I am on the right track.....pun intended.
Thanks Mark

More
11 years 4 months ago #14689 by tealplanes
I just reread what I said about the DPDT switch.......doh! With the controller I automatically have an 'off' option. Sometimes..........

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds