Realistic Z Deciduois Trees

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #10424 by Alaska Railroader
Realistic Z Deciduois Trees was created by Alaska Railroader
Nope, this is not a new product announcement
I'm actually building a layout in between filling orders and I wanted as real looking trees as possible. They are too labor intensive to sell affordably but I can tell you how if you really want to know. Key words here are "labor intensive"! I didn't fix these photos either.

Maybe its just me but I think these hit the mark. Too bad I have a couple hundred more to make.
Karin
Stonebridge Models
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #10425 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
Karin, These look great. What did you use for stems? Jim :)

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #10441 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
Hi Jim,

The armatures I use are some kind of weed from Scandinavia and are from scenic express. Its simply the difference in how they are treated beforehand that makes all the difference in the world and also the modifications. The whole process starts with 25 minutes of boiling them and then hanging them all upside down with a weight on to help straighten them. Some are flocked with real greenery plucked from trees and bushes then baked and ground. Then the modifying starts to make them good enough for Z.

Karin

More
13 years 2 months ago #10443 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
Hi Karin... I visited scenicexpress.com and searched for anything close to what looks like you used, but I came up empty handed. Would it be too much for you to give us the item number of the stem material you used? Thanks for any more help you can give us trying to copy your technic.

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #10447 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
Scenic Express Super Trees

More
13 years 2 months ago #10458 by Socalz44
Hi Karin, I thought they were Super Trees. I mentioned them to Loren years ago, but he didn't want to spend $27!?? I like your technique. I didn't go with anything but the tree and flocking on my layouts. Now a couple of years down the road these Super Trees have become quite brittle. Your way should preserve them and will be well worth the effort in the long run. Jim :)

More
13 years 2 months ago #10462 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
Jim,
Sometimes I have to eat my words more often than I care to admit.

Seems lately I've been getting plenty of roughage.

Back 'when' as you mentioned I was not so much interested in deciduous trees because of modeling the higher elevations where only ever greens thrive best.

Coming down a bit in elevation I am realizing the need to incorporate quite a few deciduous trees into future modeling.

I think the Super trees will always be much more brittle than we would like, but boiling the armatures first and coating them with the suggested liquid does seem to give them just a bit more flexibility. Unlike the evergreens we both make, the deciduous don't 'bend' when bumped, but tend to have what we would call a 'sheer' problem.

When we bump those trees they break faster than what a tornado could accomplish.

It's frustrating being Smokey's under study.

Loren

More
13 years 2 months ago #10464 by Socalz44
Hi Loren, I think Super Trees are probably the least expensive way to go. With prep Karin is doing these should hold up fairly well on modules.

I just completed an order for 500 N scale trees. I'm glad I'm finished with them. They were the good ones, 8 steps. My health has declined to a point were I'm in bed at least 20 hours a day now. I new this was coming over a year ago. At the moment I just can't seem to 'break even' on my health issues. Each month seems like another step into the abys. Don was over last month (Jan.)and we had lunch, today no way. Actually, except for doctor visits lunch with Don was my last contact with the outdoors. I'll do my best to hang in there. I don't have a laptop anymore so computer time is very short these days.
Take care, Jim :unsure:

More
13 years 2 months ago #10465 by tealplanes
Jim, old friend,
I won't spend time here conversing with you but will very soon write you a decent email and reminisce about some of our tree adventures and NTS times.

I am so sorry to hear of your deteriorating health and I know it must be very discouraging to you. I know this is tough on Gayle also so please give her Karin's and my greeting.

You know you can always find me just a key stroke away so any time you feel up to writing, I am here for you.

From one Smokey to another, I remain,
Loren

More
13 years 2 months ago #10466 by tealplanes
A quick PS........you know Jim, you have many friends and fans in the Z family so don't forget that we all care about you and wish we could wave the magic wand and make it all ok again.

We're here......

More
13 years 1 month ago #10488 by GWoodle
Replied by GWoodle on topic Re: Realistic Z Deciduois Trees
At my Hobby Lobby they carry the Woodland classics line of trees. Of interest to Zscale may be the 3/4" to 1 1/4" or 2-3cm "Sun Kissed" trees. You get 8 in a bubble pack for $8.99 (before discount or sales). Other trees are a little bit to a lot taller.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds