Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

couplers

More
9 years 9 months ago #17429 by zscaleal
couplers was created by zscaleal
1)I am having trouble with Micro-train body mount couplers. How do I change them?

2) what brand couplers work together?

3) Are Micro-train couplers generally truck or body mount?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #17431 by markm
Replied by markm on topic couplers
Al,
You didn't mention the trouble you've been having. Generally the problems are related to poor adjustment and damaged springs. They're usually screw mounted.

Couplers are a bit of a problem in Z as there is no real standard knuckle coupler. In general all the knuckle couples work together to a degree. If you want to the ability to uncouple on the rails, you want MTL couplers on both cars. AZL autolatch work well, but don't uncouple well without lifting the car.

MTL couplers, as well as most other manufacturers use truck mount couplers. So I'm a little surprised that you have body mount unless it's a custom car. MTL uses body mount on their Nn3 which frequently get represented as Z in the resale market.

Mark

More
9 years 9 months ago #17432 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic couplers
The 905 is the assembled version of the 903 coupler found on all cars with body mounted couplers and originally all Z scale box cars came with a metal floor and body mounted couplers, many years later we started to see plastic floors with truck mounted couplers became the standard.
To change out a 905 it requires you to turn the car over and remove a 00-90 brass screw that holds the couplerbox to the body.The hole is tapped or threaded so the screw will easily enter the hole when you are over it, You need a fine flat blade screw driver sometime called a jewelers screw driver to turn the screw in and out. Do not over tighten the screw, as this will jam the coupler shanks inside the coupler box. Or alternatively you can purchase a truck pair with couplers attached and change out the truck and coupler. the couplers come in a pack of two pair and the truck with coupler come in several styles and come in pairs.

To remove the truck you need a medium small screw driver and you place it between the truck and the car body and twist it but cover the truck because if you don't the bolster pin will fly when released and the carpet monster will eat it. To install the new truck you just need to insert the
bolster pin through the truck into the car body and that takes a bit of pressure. Holding the bolster pin is hard and getting it into the hole so I use an exacto *knife blade to press into the top of the bolster pin and use that to line it up and start the pin into the holed in the car body, using the nose of pair of small pliers to seat the pin home. There is a shoulder on the pin so it can only go as far as the shoulder and that leave clearance for the truck to rotate.

cheerz Garth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pig Gap

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds