Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 20, 2024

Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help

More
10 years 6 months ago #16223 by Jimvane
Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help was created by Jimvane
Does anyone know if Digitrax makes a decoder that works with Rokuhan turnouts? If so, which one and how is it wired to the turnout? Being new to Z and DCC I would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #16225 by markm
Replied by markm on topic Re: Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help
I haven't had the time to try it yet, but the DS64 in the bi-polar mode should work. You'll also want to set the turnouts to be non-power-routing.

Hope this helps,

Mark

More
10 years 6 months ago #16230 by Jimvane
Replied by Jimvane on topic Re: Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help
Thanks Mark.

Really appreciate the recommendation. As you know DCC can get expensive really fast, so want to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

Jim

More
10 years 6 months ago #16236 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help
The key factor in wiring Rokuhan turnouts to DCC is that you need a decoder that handles Kato two wire turnouts as the Rokuhan is a two wire system where polarity of the DC voltage on the two wires determines which way the points move. As already pointed out you need to place the additional screws supplied with the turnout to make it non power routing. For the 110m long 13 degree turnouts they must be either R055 or R056 part numbers the original turnouts have been replaced by these two and all subsequent turnouts, the short 55mm 26 degree and the curved turnouts R195 to R220 curved track are convertible between power routing (which is they way they are shipped) and non power routing which means power every where, which you need for DCC operation and standard DC operation for most Z scale layouts. This conversion requires two of the four screws supplied with each turnout to be inserted into holes on the back plate to complete the wiring change over as per the instruction sheet that comes with each turnout.

regards Garth

cheerz Garth
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 6 months ago #16237 by Jimvane
Thanks Garth..

I am really happy that I became a member of this forum. The quality of the info and the people is nothing short outstanding...

Hopefully, I can contribute some lessons learned when I get my layout working...

...Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
8 years 3 months ago #17973 by Jimvane
Well, it had been a while since I have been on the forum. Pesky little thing called a job has kept me away from the trains. At any rate, I am finally getting the rokuhan RO22,23,39,40 Turnouts (TO) set up with non-power routing for DCC, but having a problem. Seems that on a few of the TOs power is not connected to both sets of tracks. One track branch has power the other does not. I tried measuring the power on the TO where the tracks exit just after the frog and there is no power on one set but there is on the other. I verified the 2 screws needed for non-power routing are installed. I operated the TOs with a DS64 and the switches operate correctly so they are apparently not burnt out.
ANYBODY got an idea on where the problem might be, or what to do next to troubleshoot?
Thanks...
...Jim

More
8 years 2 months ago #17985 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re: Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help
May have to remove, turnover and remove screw, double check moving wiper does route using ohm-meter. Isnt there a spring under the rail for contact to the board? Maybe fell out ?

More
8 years 2 months ago #17994 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Rokuhan turnouts and DCC help
Rokuhan turnouts come set up for power routing without modification to change to non power routing you have to install two screws from the 4 supplied with the turnout. The instructions with the turnout show where to install these screws and they have to turned down tight to make contact, but be careful not to strip the plastic. For DCC operation they need to be set up for non power routing, in this mode the power is still switched to the frog based on position of points. Also the track feed has to placed before the points not behind the frog.

cheerz Garth

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds