Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, May 02, 2024

Rigging Crane

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #15631 by southernnscale
Rigging Crane was created by southernnscale
Today I was out shopping around and stopped in Michael Craft shop. I found this Transparent Polyester Tread 400 yds. 365m Art. S995-A2-Color 9950 It's black. it's very fine almost like hair! But it don't come apart like thread. and it goes thru the holes easier! It's $2.49 a spool. I attached a Picture so you can see the different size between the two.

The thread has fibers which makes it hard to put thru the small holes. The poly line is a singe piece with no fibers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zscaler66

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Heavy-Equipment-Designer
More
10 years 11 months ago #15634 by Heavy-Equipment-Designer
Replied by Heavy-Equipment-Designer on topic Re: Rigging Crane
Walt, I highly suggest you also look at Kimono Silk Thread #100. Its .16 mm DIA 3 strand silk. Even though its made of the strands, there are no fuzzes. You might find the poly mono strand does not like to bend around the pulleys to well and almost impossible to keep the lines taught. The Kimono Silk is very soft and very playable. So bends really well around the pulleys and stays taught. And since its so soft, its easy to rig up your boom. But if it still gives you a hassle, an old model ship rigging trick is to run the end of the thread through some crazy glue and cut the end off at an angle. You now have a built in needle... It comes in 80 different colors. But the only color I've ever seen wire cables come in are silver metal covered in grease or rust covered in grease... But you can get black... Its a little more expensive (about $6 for 220 yards) but its worth every penny. I posted some images of a rigged up boom on the Industrial Brownhoist Topic. I do have some lead BB in the inside of the boom but its really not needed to keep the lines taught. If you want to check the thread out, go here www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread/?Brand=Kimono+Silk&page=5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, southernnscale, Bill_O

More
10 years 11 months ago #15635 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Re: Rigging Crane
Thanks for the information sounds like I might try some out to see how it works.

Thank,
Walt

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds