Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Line of Z Scale Ships Coming

More
10 years 8 months ago #15969 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Line of Z Scale Ships Coming
Yippii--!! Thanks for making progress. Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15972 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic Re: Line of Z Scale Ships Coming
I'm going to split production tomorrow morning. Some parts will be cut with the big cutter; the parts without cutouts will be cut with my small cutter. That means the latter parts will be use a score and snap technique, which is actually cleaner than cutting all the way through. Of course, I still have to do the instructions, but as an old tech writer that shouldn't take too long. I'll have to see how much Z scale railings and stairways I have left, and if I need to order more. Darn, my window for getting these produced wasn't very long, and I'm running over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, southernnscale

More
10 years 8 months ago #15978 by Fred
Tripple A tour book- with Port Welcome and Inner Harbor on cover. 1980

Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #15979 by Pete Nolan
Showing that draft angle again, dangnabit. With four diesels and twin screws, the ship was pretty powerful. Did you ask everyone to step to the stern? :) You know that draft angle is messing me up royally.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15980 by Fred
Pete- once the model is built-- the draft angle can be sanded down. We often had wheel chair passengers aboard. They had to work to go forward- but going aft they had to apply brakes. The rub strake rises in the bow so it emphasises down by the stern.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15984 by Pete Nolan
It's going to be a built-up styrene hull, so there's not a lot of thickness to sand. And the cutter was not cooperative today.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15985 by Fred
Since Boats and ships are referred to as "She", Port Welcome, being on the cover of the AAA Tour Guide Book-- She can be called a "Cover Girl" !! :woohoo: :sick: :S :pinch:

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #16013 by Pete Nolan
I've been working on the Port Welcome (PW) and the 375' container ship the latter part of this week. Made items like davits, life rafts, new stacks, and a few odd details. I already have railings and stairways, although I think we'll have to accept a compromise on the steel mesh for the Port Welcome railings and go with traditional 3-rail stuff. Also missing lifeboats and anchors. I think I'm going to have to make a master and cast the lifeboats, as I haven't found anything small enough to be converted from N scale or 1:192.

Fred, the PW seems to have 20-22' lifeboats, at least from what I can scale from photos. Can you confirm that this is about right?

Major accomplishments were getting the draft correct (i.e., down at the stern) for the PW, and changing the hatch stacking arrangement for the container ship--they open along the length these days, rather than across the width. (Yes, I know those aren't the correct nautical terms, but everyone should be able to understand them.)

Both ships are fairly simple to build, at least for me. They have hollow hulls and superstructures. That means you can see through the decks of the PW, and the container ship has accessible holds. You can detail the interiors to your hearts content.

The first production models are waiting for primer tonight, so photos in a few days. The side-stacking container ship is available now, but is superceded by the longitudinal-stacking ship.

That's about it for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

More
10 years 8 months ago #16021 by Pete Nolan
Hmm, looks like last night's update didn't make it through the ether. Port Welcome is nearly ready. Had to make the masters for stack, lifeboats and dinghy, which I did today. Got the draft angle down. Painted the first production unit tonight. Still got to find anchors of the right scale. Will be molding tomorrow. Looks like the kit will be $125. Got the building instructions written today. First run will be 25 kits. A built-up will be $550. More later. Let's see if this posts!

More
10 years 8 months ago #16023 by Pete Nolan
OK, my computer is fixed, and posts go through.

A Z scale dinghy is about 20 mm long, 8 mm in beam and maybe 5 mm deep. Easy to lose on the workbench. So I'll make the mold tomorrow. On Sat. I'll make the first cast, and hope to make ten castings as an adjunct to other castings--you don't mix casting materials for one dinghy! Then I'll make the mold for ten dinghies, let it cure for a few days, and finally start casting ten at a time.

Same thing for Z scale lifeboats, and stacks. Make a master, make a mold, make ten castings or so, make a new mold. That's why these kits take a while to produce. Along with drawing railings and stairways, and getting them produced in brass.

The Port Welcome is a fairly simple ship, but took about 60 separate drawing files, many of the drawings with multiple parts.

More
10 years 8 months ago #16041 by Pete Nolan
OK, got everything together and built but missing anchors, masts, windlass and the searchlight. Will diddle a bit with the masts tomorrow. Shooting for a September 1 date for ordering. Waiting for a 3D printed searchlight. Will build the windlass, and probably the anchors. Have already scratchbuilt the lifeboats, life rafts, davits and dinghy, as well as commissioned the railings and stairways.

Getting everything together for a kit is a real job!

Photos tomorrow!

More
10 years 7 months ago #16067 by Fred
Let the rocket's red glare, the eagles scream, the bells peel, and the drums roll--- :evil: ......

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #16068 by Pete Nolan
And here she is, minus a few details like anchors and searchlights (on order, I think) and a few masts and staffs and decals. I finally got the draft angle correct:

The main and 01 decks are see-through, as is the pilot house! Add your own interior details, from tables and chairs, to the concession stand, to lots of people. I'm proud of the techniques I've developed to be able to do this.

Here's a view of the starboard bow. What a handsome ship!

Yes, those are Z scale railings, stairways, and life rafts, along with custom built davits, and a cast resin stack. Sorry the railings got bent a little--this is the first production model, so it got handled a little roughly over time, and I just didn't notice. The brass is easy to fix. It's also a little heavier than normal, in order to take some abuse on your layout.

Here's the starboard stern view:

Those are custom lifeboats and dinghy, hot out of the molds. I hope the rear bulkheads on the main and 01 decks are in the correct locations: Fred, can you help me here? Notice the stack has a real nice hollow shield on the top, which I manufactured from many layers of styrene, each reduced incrementally by the computer. I think the rear stairway shelter is in the correct position.

Here's a portside view.

The winch may be a little oversize but can always be swapped out when I build a smaller one.

So, folks, what do you think? Corrections are always welcomed, and can be incorporated without trouble! The kit will be $125, plus the cost of anchors and searchlights (maybe $10, yuck, but they cost what they cost), plus $10 shipping in the US. Built ups will be $550.

I will accept orders starting now. This will be up on my website, www.nscaleships.com, in a few days, but I do not have an ordering system on the site yet. I can accept Paypal and credit card orders. Best to contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #16069 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Re: Line of Z Scale Ships Coming
The Ferry came out great looking nicely built Pete Nolan! Looks almost ready for duty at Port Welcome and she looks like a cover girl! :cheer: Slim and trimmed. Can't wait t see her on duty. Well Done and ship shaped!!!
I have to say this is beyond the call of duty and in Craftsmen ship!

More
10 years 7 months ago #16070 by Pete Nolan
I should mention that the kit is not difficult to build—for a ship, and that I will have instructions up in pdf form on my website in a week or two, so that you can look them over before buying. There may be some fine trimming and shaping at the bow and stern, but that can be handled with a sanding stick (aka nail file).

More
10 years 7 months ago #16072 by Fred
yumpin yimminy-You nailed her Pete!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Spookey- especially with all the blueprints I couldn't find! The aft bulkheads are correct. Apart from the masts and anchors- the only thing missing- on the upper deck- from the stern of one lifeboat to the stern of the other-- around the back of the deck there are installed seating- this can be easily replicated by a simple small square stock- evergreen strip-- painted blue-- and on the left/right and forward sides on the upper deck stairwell.
These were also storage boxes for lifejackets. I can't stop stareing :)
Fred

More
10 years 7 months ago #16073 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re: Line of Z Scale Ships Coming
I'm not really big on ships in general......but this is beautiful!!! I'd get one if I had a place to put it but I don't think my small portion of a river is the appropriate place. It will have to be content with the towboat that's there.

More
10 years 7 months ago #16104 by Pete Nolan
Suppliers of N scale ship fittings or even fittings in 1:192, let alone Z, are few, getting fewer, and expensive, getting more expensive, and now building only upon order. I got tired of waiting for one of the biggest suppliers to deliver my latest order of parts--they sent me a notice last night that they were casting them--so I decided to fiddle around with my big production cutter this afternoon and, geez, it can cut Z scale anchors and Z scale davits.

That was a huge barrier. Look for some improved ships soon, and kits with anchors and davits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
10 years 7 months ago #16108 by Pete Nolan
Replied by Pete Nolan on topic New Version of Port Welcome
In assembling the kit, I decided to make a few changes.

The Z scale harbor cruise ship, the Port Welcome, is 125 feet long, or all of seven inches. New details include Z scale anchors, wrap-around seating on the top deck, storage lockers, life rings, shortened lifeboats, decals, masts and staffs.

I think I'll produce 30 kits for this Fall, priced at $125, plus shipping. Built-ups will remain at $550 plus shipping.

I'm not going to have much time this Fall for built-ups of this ship, so order now if you'd like one for Christmas! My schedule is getting full. I will be in Alabama from mid-October through the New Year, and will bring materials with me to assemble as many as I get orders for.

Best to order via email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

More
10 years 7 months ago #16109 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: New Version of Port Welcome
Pete- well done- much more accurate than my model. A Builders Model!! A lot of people will remember Port Welcome in Baltimore and surrounding states- VA, PA, MD, DC, DE, and from other states-- We celebrated 1,000,000 passengers early when I boarded- and I spent 12 of my "vacations" from deep sea
taking tours and special charters.

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds