Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, May 06, 2024

Two Shelf, One Shelf, One Loop OR?

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #995 by TheWag
Two Shelf, One Shelf, One Loop OR? was created by TheWag
These are ideas for a shelf layout that can be taken off the shelf and made into a loop:

or a long shelf:

My ideas for running it in house is to take the long version as two shelves and place a helix on the left side. The city side is inspired by this picture (www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35706&nseq=89) of the Wachovia Tower. I'd love to scratchbuild that building and another tower BB&T (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BB%26T_headquarters.jpg).

Hmm, a 3 foot tall building and a itsy-bitsy train nearby. Love the size comparison.

Anyways, these are thoughts. I'd like yours. I'll start with the country shelf first (lumber and ASAP scap). They allow a long string of gondolas and CK lumber cars.

Now...for time...money...and sanity! :woohoo:
Ben

P.S. Better images in the gallery. Don't know how to add 'em here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #998 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:Two Shelf, One Shelf, One Loop OR?
Sure an original idea. Having large buildings and little trains is something that Z allows easier than other scales.

Sanity? And you're into trains??? :P

More
15 years 4 months ago #1004 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Two Shelf, One Shelf, One Loop OR?
Hi Ben,

I've been toying around with a similar design for a fellow Wasatch Z Club member who has very limited space in his appartment, but still wants to build a module for our club display. Unlike your design, i had thought of his as a similar "split" design, but did not include a loop. Your idea for incorperating a loop as well is very interesting, and something i may need to consider.

The concept of having a long shelf type layout for his home use, and beingable to put the two half's togather at shows to fit our mdule width was the catalyst for the idea. but you have taken it one step further... nice work!!!!

What are you planning on building on???? I sugested to Mark that he use standard Ikia or Home Depot shelves with 1x2" stickers added to the bottom for a wiring chase. If you built on a say a 10 or 12" wide shelf, and had a 14-16" shelf permantly mounted in your home, then these would fit right on them, and leave a small open space in front of the modules for cars and assorted train goodies.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and i'll be sending this thread over to Mark to hel inspire him..

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1043 by TheWag
Replied by TheWag on topic Re:Two Shelf, One Shelf, One Loop OR?
zmon wrote:

What are you planning on building on???? I sugested to Mark that he use standard Ikia or Home Depot shelves with 1x2" stickers added to the bottom for a wiring chase. If you built on a say a 10 or 12" wide shelf, and had a 14-16" shelf permantly mounted in your home, then these would fit right on them, and leave a small open space in front of the modules for cars and assorted train goodies.

Well, my design is 28" wide. Lowes has a bracket for 20" (www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48990-1469-LW-004920WTH) and I think 8" overhang would be acceptable, especially if build out of foam with a luan base and figure out a way to temporarily fasten it in the back to keep it from tipping.

Keep you posted....but don't hold your breath too much. I'm a slow mover!

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds