Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 25, 2024

Club layouts

More
13 years 10 months ago #9192 by ausman2001
Club layouts was created by ausman2001
Are any members of this forum members of Z clubs? If so please tell the rest of us about the club layout, or plans for one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #9195 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re:Club layouts
Hi Gary,

I am one of the founding members of the MidweZt HaulerZ. We are a modular club following the Z-Bend Track standards We have 2 2 feet X 2 feet end modules (one has a trestle in the middle of the curve and the other goes through a tunnel with a window for viewing the trains as they go through it), a 30 inch X 5 1/2 feet yard module with a river on one side and a yard on the other, a 2 feet X 4 feet module with an oval of track with a passing siding and a spur siding between the main lines, a 2 feet X 4 feet module with a "Time Saver" yard, a 3 feet X 3 feet 90 degree corner module that can also be used as an end module with a separate oval above the main lines, a 2 feet X 4 feet module with a small stream intersecting the main lines, a 2 feet X 4 feet module that is all European prototype with a small passing siding, and a 3 feet X 3 feet module where the main lines run through a mountain with an oval of track above the main lines representing a gold mine.

We have assembled the modules in various configurations depending on which members are available for each show. We run North American prototype, European prototype, and Japanese prototype on all of the modules. We have run a 100-car train but we usually don't go over 50 cars. We have steam, diesel, and electric locomotives from all eras and freight and passenger cars to match.

Two of our members will be at the NMRA regional convention in Cedar Rapids, Iowa this Saturday and Sunday running trains.

Thom Welsch
MidweZt HaulerZ

More
13 years 10 months ago #9201 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Club layouts
Thom,

Your group's modules sound great! Do you have any photos or videos to share?

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #9219 by rvn2001
Gary,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've had limited internet access since Friday.

I have posted 2 videos on Youtube. One is taken by a video car I built running around my modules.

The other is a video taken by the same car as it ran around some of our club modules in Mattoon, Illinois.

We have photos of our modules on our Yahoo Group page.
groups.yahoo.com/group/midwezthaulerz/

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with,
Thom

More
13 years 10 months ago #9226 by Beverly56
Hi Thom,

I really like the view from the video car. Can you tell us more about the camera and how you set it up on the car? Photos, please, if you have them :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #9242 by rvn2001
Gary,

I just took some photos of the video car, covered and un-covered, and posted them here.

www.flickr.com/photos/rvn20012000/sets/72157624173547293/

I started with a E&D Models 89' channel-side flat car and a wireless video camera similar to the one you can order through Walther's for around $100.00. The camera has a transmitter built in that runs on 9 volts while the camera itself runs on 5 volts. I removed the plug and insulation from the camera to make the wires more flexible. There are 3 wires inside the insulation...one is the common, one goes to the camera, and one goes to the transmitter. I had to put a 5-volt voltage regulator in the line going to the camera. I shortened a single "AA" battery holder to accommodate 3 CR-1/3N batteries to create the 9 volts needed to run the transmitter. The CR-1/3N batteries are 3-volt button batteries. I installed a pushbutton switch between the batteries and the camera so I wouldn't have to remove the batteries whenever I wanted to turn it off. All of this was attached to the flat car with double-sided tape. I made a cover out of sheet styrene to simulate different-sized crates. I painted and decorated the flatcar and "crate" cover.

I attach 2 monitors to the receiver that comes with the camera when I run the video car at train shows. I put one on the table for visitors to watch and keep one under the layout for me to monitor the quality of the display. The display changes as the batteries discharge making it necessary to adjust the picture from time to time.

I think I've covered everything.
Let me know if there's anything you might have questions about.

Thom

More
13 years 10 months ago #9243 by Beverly56
Thom,

Thanks for the photos and explanations :)

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds