Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, May 05, 2024

Iowa Layout

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #777 by Socalz44
Iowa Layout was created by Socalz44
This layout may be of some interest to you. Many of you know I also build layouts for people. This is number 8 I think. The challenge with this one is to see how much MTL Micro Track I could get on a 3'x4' board. Some of you will see this and be reminded of the Original CCRR layout, a 2'x3' layout using flextrack. This is the same plan. Using Micro Track added some turns here and there and eliminated some as well. I think this mainline is about 21 feet long. Not really too bad in a 3'x4' space. The smallest radius is the standard 195 mm curve with many 490 mm curves as well. This layout will be a modern diesel era layout. I left the Micron Arts Pratt bridge alone this time to accommodate modern rolling stock. The small village will have buildings by Karin Snyder and Lionel Gazeau. I will be shortening the new smooth side passenger cars to about 65feet to look a bit better on a layout this size. The bridge that shows some white plastic will be scratch built by me. When finished I'm looking for a Northern Washington/Southern British Columbia terrain look. Cheers, Jim CCRR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #781 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Iowa Layout
Jim,
I thought Iowa was phlat!:S I get it-- the terrain is upper west and you are building it for Iowans.:silly: That's a lot of track cosidering how many acres are actually represented.:woohoo:
Fred

More
15 years 5 months ago #782 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Iowa Layout
Thanks Fred, Yes, I like to challenge myself from time to time. When it came to a 3'x4' layout figuring out different mainlines was fun. It took some time but this is the most mainline I could come up with in 12sq ft. When you figure the customer wanted mountain, town, bridges, a tunnel, and a creek this seems right for him. Now everyone knows the probable longest mainline layout in this size. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 5 months ago #798 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Iowa Layout
Brad, You can't trick me. I've seen your work. On the other hand buying the Woodland Scenics books may give you the same hints they gave me. In fact the Iowa Layout is off the cover of one of the books. Cheers, Jim CCRR:laugh:

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds