Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

First Attempt in Z

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7596 by tsugi
First Attempt in Z was created by tsugi
Well here goes.....

I'm trying to make something with some interest, and with long, scenic lines that will look good. I do not have a clue what I am doing!

I've tried to show inclines with a wee orange mess.

Basically a double line loop with a branch. One loop stays ground-bound (the baseboard will fall away in places to create levels). The other loop rises to 1.2" after the station and crosses over, crossing back under the quarry. The branch line twists and rises to about 3.5", forking off to a quarry.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'd love to do it as British Railways 1950-60 with a mix of steam and diesel, which was my preference in N. However, given the dearth of rolling stock in Z - I think I'm going for DB. Time? I have no idea - I might just make this one locos I like! Diesel though - catenary is a bit ambitious.

The base will be a touch over 11' X 2' (thought it might be an idea to add that info).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #7639 by tsugi
Replied by tsugi on topic Re:First Attempt in Z
No, seriously - all helpful advice gratefully received!

More
14 years 2 months ago #7643 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:First Attempt in Z
David, This plan will work. One thing I might suggest is eliminating the station on the left. Most stations are some kind of a thru track. You would have to back into this one. I think it would be better served as another industry. Also starting at the river going to the left could you move the inside track away from the 'double track look' and put a curve into the layout? There is a lot of openspace there and a solo track might look good there. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #7646 by tsugi
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I may have done it stupidly, but is this what you mean?
I've turned the quarry and wee station into a wood mill - I'm not sure about siding length in Z - and have added switchback (?) sidings to allow locos to get to the front of shunted wagons.
The wee single loop heads off to the village of Wemp. I took it as a branch from the main 'drag', as - while I was after a bit of the double track look through Laarbruch. The three lines emerging from under the town should hopefully look quite busy and industrial, and the left hand side should be more hilly and rural. The double track splits into levels and disappears in and out of the hills, and the single winds up the hill to the mill. I'm still left with a fair bit of open space, which might give a ice, rural feel in contrast to the busy town and mill ends.

Although I still can't get the right hand side of the image to appear!
Attachments:

More
14 years 2 months ago #7647 by Socalz44
David, Actually your new plan is not what I meant. Here is a photo. I simply thought this would make the layout more interesting as the track (red) has to rise up over the other track and would make for some nice scenery options. Your new plan seems to have a reverse loop (maybe not) and that is something to think about. You have experience so this would probably not bother you. Also 24 inches is quite narrow. Can you expand this width to about 29 inches? This will allow for nice curves and no danger of a loco on the floor. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)
Attachments:

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #7649 by tsugi
Jim,

Thanks again!

I had a sneaking suspicion I was being dense! I like that much more. And I've gone out to 31" (800mm)
Attachments:

More
14 years 2 months ago #7650 by Socalz44
David, This is better I think. One last thing. At the woodmill there are many turnouts/switches. For your own good lay this section out on the table and 'see' if it works before building it into the layout. I say this because Z scale (especially steam) has some issues making it through multiple turnouts. Your loco will be moving slowly and this makes the issue more acute. Check it out. If it works great. If not, then you can go back to the original plan and just have two industries thus eliminately many turnouts. Cheers, Jim CCRR

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds