Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

What's the Height of your Layout?

More
14 years 3 months ago #7557 by Beverly56
What's the Height of your Layout? was created by Beverly56
We've taken the plunge and began work on our European layout (78" by 26") this weekend. Chris made the layout table to my 40" height spec, but it looks a bit too high to me. I know height can be an individual choice, but I'd like to hear from folks about the height of their layouts and why they like or don't like the height you chose.

TIA :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7561 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Bev,
Typically we Z Bend Track modular club types display at 50". Reason is that you aren't looking 'down' and you are more immersed in the actual layout. Kind of high for a home display granted. Some of us have also displayed at 35" which is real nice for shorter folks at shows....kids and folks in wheelchairs.

Why not make up a quick scene with some track and structures and display at several heights and that will help you decide. You're right, it is purely subjective.
Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7564 by tealplanes
Bev,
I'll be very interested in hearing what others have to say about display height.

I think you will find pluses and minuses at any given height. Each height has its own merits.

Decisions decision.........what's a gal to do?:S
Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7565 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Loren,

The height is currently 40". I'm 5'8" or 68" (or quite a few cm. :laugh: )

The layout is now in our kitchen/dining room where I'll be working on it, so I can't miss having it around to see if it will suit my needs. You know, I kind of like looking down a bit at a layout, especially when so many things will be crammed into a small space the way I have ours planned.

Thanks for your opinion :) I'm looking forward a discussion on this topic, too :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #7566 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Hi Beverly, My home layouts are about 38 inches or about 98 cm. I like to look down and I am also able to sit on a stool and get in the action. Convenient for photograpy because you don't have to get out the step ladder for overhead shots. There is no right or wrong, but for home use a meter is good, higher if you have a sore back. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 3 months ago #7569 by saundebn
Replied by saundebn on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Interestingly enough, I just checked my home layout (P&W-RR) in development and it came in just over 38 inches as well at the base, and it will be roughly 10 inches taller at its peak.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7570 by tealplanes
Beverly56 wrote:

Loren,

The height is currently 40". I'm 5'8" or 68" (or quite a few cm. :laugh: )

The layout is now in our kitchen/dining room where I'll be working on it, so I can't miss having it around to see if it will suit my needs. You know, I kind of like looking down a bit at a layout, especially when so many things will be crammed into a small space the way I have ours planned.

Bev,
I can't place my finger on the exact 'why' but there is something kind of special in looking down a bit at the layout. A mystery of Z scale;)
Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7572 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
I am also at 40" at my mid level. I like this height since I can easily work across the layout, or sit and watch trains an eye level.

The 50" is good for shows since it puts more trains at eye level, but can be difficult for children to enjoy.

Rob

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7573 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Hello Beverly,

our layout is at 100cm/40" for two reasons. First it is what resulted from the bookshelf which doubles as a support for the back of the layout, and second it is for us a perfect high where we can watch the scenery from above while standing, and while sitting on a chair we're practically on eye level with the trains. I love to watch the BR96 mallet engine from this view at a slow speed...

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 3 months ago #7574 by mhommer
Replied by mhommer on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
Since putting it on casters my layout is now at 45". Still comfortable hight to work at while standing or sitting on a bar stool (I'm 6'2"). Certainly another consideration is how the layout fits into your environment. Mine is in a dedicated 'train room' so I could build it anyway I wanted. If you are integrating it into a room as a piece of furniture, what looks good as a layout may not look so good as a table.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7580 by jlundy46
Replied by jlundy46 on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
My home layout is 54.5 inches high to the top of the foam board I am using as a base. I'm 67 inches tall and find this a good height for perspective and walking around with your trains. I think layout height is really a matter of personal preference.

John

More
14 years 3 months ago #7582 by tealplanes
John,
I think the only height that doesn't work is ground level:blink: When I was 10 years old and had an American Flyer set I had it on the floor of our family room.
My dad's music teacher friend and his family came to visit. The teacher's two little girls thought it was fun to step on the track, much to my consternation.

I think that was the first time I seriously considered whether it was worth going to jail for life for murder in the first degree;)

I let them live and now I prefer about 35-50 inches for viewing height. If anyone can step on 35 inch height, well, I guess I won't argue with them.

Kind of like the question about what animal stays pregnant for almost 2 years....answer is "I don't know but I'll bet it isn't afraid of the dark":laugh:

More
14 years 3 months ago #7584 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
THOM WALSH HAS GREAT LEGS...
I have 40" legs but eventually I'm going to go to an adjustable height leg like the one Thom walsh has created. Why? I'm at 40"s, The Haulerz mostly run at table top level, and some moduler layouts are at 50"s. Eventulaly I want to link up with other Z'ers so I think an adjustable leg is the way to go.

bh

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7604 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:What's the Height of your Layout?
I'm a 181 cm high (a little bit less than 6' ) and my layout is 127 cm/ 50" above ground. That fits to me.

Dom

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds