Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Just getting started...

More
14 years 4 months ago #6898 by Northern Light
Just getting started... was created by Northern Light
I bought a Marklin 81535 set five years ago and had no time to do anything. I recently bought a pair of MTL F7's off eBay and a MTL starter oval track and MRC power supply. I also have a nearly new Marklin 81466 set coming.

I plan to do a preliminary layout of at least two of the trains on a 24 by 48 table just to see if I'm going to enjoy this. I will attempt to paint the two F7's in the dark blue Bangor and Aroostook colors and close couple them together.

I've been searching the web learning many things about Z scale trains. And I've been learning a lot about full size trains, fallen flags, types of locomotives, etc. I just discovered what DCC is all about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6904 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Just getting started...
Welcome to this excellent forum Veronica. You'll get lots of help and advice here. My own view is that enjoyment of this hobby can be enhanced if we have a vision, even an indistinct one, of what we see our little empire being about. And that could be as simple as the important business of moving freight wagons and passenger coaches from point A to point B.

Enjoy! B) :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northern Light

More
14 years 4 months ago #6912 by silentargus
Replied by silentargus on topic Re:Just getting started...
Hey! Another (sort of) beginner here. Been on the collecting side of things since the late 90s and have only just started laying in plans for a real layout.

I think that if you get a loop of track on a board like that and just start thinking "I need more space" out of the blue, that's a pretty good sign that you've made the right decision. I thought I had plenty of track for my meager needs... until I looked kinda sideways at a corner of the spare room and realized just how much I could actually fit in the space. That really helped bump Z from "until I have room for something bigger" up to "why the heck do I need something bigger?" :laugh:

More
14 years 4 months ago #6914 by liltoot
Replied by liltoot on topic Re:Just getting started...
i too have been collecting enough for the mega railroad, took 4 years, but i m past my 3500th switch now,, ready to start laying track. theres alot you can do on a 24 by 48 space, i have 4 locos running in a 4 bt 2 coffeetable. but im thinking mega rhis time. love the mikado,, great another steam lover!!! give us lots o questions, we love to answer them,,,enjoy!!! canada mikeB)

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds