Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Marklin?

More
14 years 5 months ago #6467 by kmalkowski
Marklin? was created by kmalkowski
Hi Guys!
Have a question for members in Europe. Have there been any updates on the future of Marklin? And consequently european Z-scale?

thanks

Kornad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #6469 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Marklin?
Kornad,

I can't answer your question with any certainity, but some North American Marklin dealers have announced they are receiving some of the 2009 release items. Of course, 2009 is almost over. :S

More
14 years 5 months ago #6472 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Marklin?
I had an email from a friend at Marklin USA and she told me there would be no Swiss items in either HO or Z scales for 2010.

Robert

More
14 years 5 months ago #6477 by kmalkowski
Replied by kmalkowski on topic Re:Marklin?
I just ordered a new Z-scale catalog. Hope for some era III steamers...

Konrad

More
14 years 5 months ago #6479 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Marklin?
The Marklin catalogs are nothing but a wish list... a dream... at least for Z-scale. :dry:

More
14 years 5 months ago #6483 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Marklin?
What I heard is that Marklin actually made a reasonable operating profit for 2009, but this of course was without considering payments to creditors. The position, while still not good, doesn't look as bleak as it did six months ago.

Konrad, some dealers might still have stocks of the Br 53 (which doesn't really belong to any era, but would have mostly been Era 3 if it had existed).

More
14 years 5 months ago #6486 by kmalkowski
That's good news, that the situation of Marklin is improving. I've been bouncing around multiple online websites, and as long as I am willing to buy from varying dealers I could probably get my hands on a few class 1, 3, 40-44, 50-52 steam locomotives that were used in era III. I will avoid the tender less steamers as I want to install DCC decoders and want to avoid milling as much as possible.

Does anyone have good suggestions for building tender electricity pickups?

Also I'm thinking of using fasttrack switches instead of marklin ones. Does anyone have experience with these?

thanks

Konrad

More
14 years 5 months ago #6487 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re:Marklin?
Fast Tracks jig make fine switches and you the option of determining the switch size and rail gauge when you order your jig. Make sure you order the point tool with the jig plate as it make filing the points and fog pieces a snap.

I suggest you use a robust silver bearing solder and I found a liquid flux for nickle silver and stainless steel that work great with very good bond to the PC Board ties.

cheerz Garth

cheerz Garth

More
14 years 5 months ago #6494 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Marklin?
Yep, Fast Tracks jig and filing tool sets are fantastic, and yeild great prototypical turnouts... All of my turnouts are either #6 or #8 made with Fast Tracks.

As an item to consider before jumping into the hand built track world... you'll need to mount under board throws for them, and this can be delicate work. You can use either electric units like the Hare or Raddit types sold, or manual types from Blue point. All mentiond work fine with Z, but patients will be need to get them throwing smoothly, and tuning them for locos and cars to roll freely.

Tony B...
Wasatch Z Club

PS: Its not that hard, just time consuming...

More
14 years 5 months ago #6495 by kmalkowski
I expect it to be challenging, or time consuming,:cheer: but in any scale I still would need to use under table switches for nice prototypical look. Besides after building 5 switches the cost of getting the jig pays itself back (considering price of a marklin switch of $50). BTW. What is the length of the #6 turnout (in mm, or inches)?

thanks

Konrad

More
14 years 5 months ago #6498 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Marklin?
Konrad, the Fast Tracks #6 jig matches a MTL or Marklin turnouts foot print, and is the same size. The #8's are longer and i used them on my main line, and the smaller #6's i used on sidings and yards.

Yes your right that the cost of the jig kits pays for them self the more turnouts you make. I found that the "quick sticks" used to finish the turnouts are the most expensive part of a switch... that and the under board throw.... the rest of the switch is just rail and PC ties.

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
14 years 5 months ago #6500 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic Re:Marklin?
kmalkowski wrote:

I expect it to be challenging, or time consuming,:cheer: but in any scale I still would need to use under table switches for nice prototypical look. Besides after building 5 switches the cost of getting the jig pays itself back (considering price of a marklin switch of $50). BTW. What is the length of the #6 turnout (in mm, or inches)?

thanks

Konrad

I measured the laser cut "Quicksticks" sleepers for a No6 turnout and end to end they are 112 mm.
Having tried the assembly fixture I ordered the "Stock-aid" tool as my eyesight and pudgy fingers need the help filing the stock rail. I found that a piece of Code 60 rail from Peco's flexitrack also works in the Code 55 assembly fitting although I'm planning on using Micro-engineering Code 55 rail because the cost of tearing up Peco track lengths to make turnouts is too high. I think Ill need to pack the Code 55 turnouts up a little to match the flexi-track.

More
14 years 5 months ago #6508 by kmalkowski
Great! Thanks for help!

Konrad

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds