Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Picked up this Z scale layout

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #5859 by SmallWonderZ
Picked up this Z scale layout was created by SmallWonderZ
I picked up this Z scale layout this past weekend. Whoever built it put a lot of effort into it. The seller told me it was built by a university professor to demonstrate the use of tunnels and bridges in a mountain region. It measures about 42" X 42" and is on casters. It appears to have had a plexiglass cover on it at one time. The track consists of flextrack soldered together. Apparently it was constructed about 10 years ago and it needs a little work. One piece of track inside a tunnel was damaged as well as some bridge pieces. I hope to have it up and running in the next week or so. I plan to take it to shows to demonstrate my Z scale offerings. Despite its small size it is fairly heavy. I'll have to recruit some help to load and unload it!

Pics-

Todd

www.smallwonder-z.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5861 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Picked up this Z scale layout
Todd, Good score! The bridges alone make this a good investment. In the third picture down I think I see a piece of track with NO bridge?? You will have to build something if that is not a loose piece of track. Maybe a little work on the water? There are a couple of ways to deal with the too blue. I would experiment with a wash (diluted with water) of Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat. This is an acrylic product and water soluble. We all know water is not blue. Some light coats may take out much of the blue. The more difficult journey would be to try and paint it green and brown. Use acrylics found at any art store. Have fun and visit more oftern. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 7 months ago #5863 by SmallWonderZ
Replied by SmallWonderZ on topic Re:Picked up this Z scale layout
Yes, that water does need work. It's on my "to do" list as well as that missing bridge.
Once I get it running smoothly I'll dig into the scenery.

Todd

More
14 years 7 months ago #5866 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Picked up this Z scale layout
Todd,

Interesting layout. There's a lot going on in that small space. Looking forward to photos after you overhaul it :)

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds