Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Can someone help me with wiring?

More
15 years 6 days ago #3898 by Scott
Can someone help me with wiring? was created by Scott
I have an older Marklin layout that I just acquired. It was built to be used as a display in a train store in Germany. It is designed to work off of one PowerPack controller but features automatic two train operation. It has two of the Marklin 8940 Semaphores, circuit tracks, isolating tracks (2), and switches. It is a very basic layout.

I want to make sure the wiring is correct and to see if I need any other electronic attachments such as the Marklin 8945 controller.

I have very basic foundational knowledge of wiring with automatic operations.

I hope someone can guide me to know how to get this layout working right. I cleaned the track and can get one train to go around (but it stops at the Semaphore (but will proceed if I move the tiny Semaphore lever). Here are a coupe of photos I took.

I would appreciate any and all help! Thanks. -Scott, Tucson
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 days ago #3899 by Scott
Replied by Scott on topic Re:Can someone help me with wiring?
Here is the top of the layout with the switches, Semaphores and circuit tracks labelled.
Attachments:

More
15 years 6 days ago #3900 by Scott
My ultimate goal would be for one of our wiring Z experts to let me know how they would wire this layout. It is really beautiful and I would love to get it running! Thanks again. -scott-

More
15 years 5 days ago #3904 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re:Can someone help me with wiring?
Hello Scott. If you don't have the Marklin Z Track Layout Book, #0296, I would suggest you pick up a copy, All the electrical hookups are detailed in the book. If you get stuck, I will try and see if I can figure out the circuit you have but I have no actual experience hooking one up yet.

TerryH

More
15 years 5 days ago #3907 by Scott
Terry, thanks for the advice and for trying to help. I do have that Marklin book but it appears this layout is wired differently than the schematics I saw in that book. In any event - I appreciate your trying to help me out! :)

More
15 years 5 days ago #3908 by ZFRANK
Replied by ZFRANK on topic Re:Can someone help me with wiring?
I assume the layout is intended to have two trains running in the same direction, as there are just two signals. Could be that the circuit tracks near the signals switch the incomming switch of the station. The circuit tracks at the incomming side of the station switch the signals to green. The circuit track in th email line wil put signals to red.
Hope this helps you.

Regards, Frank

More
15 years 5 days ago #3920 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Can someone help me with wiring?
Hi Scott

Sort of along the lines of what Frank said... Looking at the layout, it looks like this is a classic Marklin two train setup with automatic switching between the locos. I'm hoping you have two locos to run to try this. Put one loco in front of each of the signals, and start up the transformer. If the layout is setup right (and by the looks of the placement of the circuit tracks and the wiring it does) it should run one loco at a time around the loop and automaticaly switch the two locos and the turnout that leads into the siding. The turnout on the outlet side of the siding is unpowered, and this is why you don't have connection on those two wires underneath. Marklin turnouts will let you run through them without power routing, and since this layout only runs clockwise, your able to "slip" through the frog points without throwing them on this one turnout.

If you flick the circuit tracks in the direction of the locos (clockwise) you should see what function each is doing. What i think you will find is that the circuit tracks on each of the outlet sides of the signals will controll the turnout that controls the route back to the same starting/stoping point for each line. The lone circuit track on the other side of the layout will make both signals go to off/red on the semiphore. Each of the two circuit tracks that are on the lead in side of the sidings will control the on/green signal for each others tracks. meaning when one loco comes in to stop, it will switch the other loco (via its signal) on to run a loop.

Each time the locos go out, they should automatically switch the turnout on the lead in end to put them backwhere they started, while the other loco holds at its signal.

I hope this makes sence....

Now as for the turnout that opperates the spur line.... i'm not sure. If there is no switch for it, then i would figure its a manual only type deal, for parking cars. Addtionally because i don't see a additional isolation track after the turnout on the spur, it leads me to believe that this is not a isolated track section for parking a third train.

Play with it.. and have fun, and please report back with any findings.

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

PS: On this type setup, you only need one transformer to run both trains beacues one one is running at once.

More
15 years 4 days ago #3944 by Scott
Thank you all for helping. I will try this out again based on your recommendations and report back (I have a long work day so won't have a chance to do it tonight). This information is very helpful and appreciated. Thanks again...report to come! -Scott-

More
15 years 6 hours ago #4070 by Scott
I have continued to take the helpful advice you were all nice enough to give me. So far I have it seems like only two of the circuit tracks are definitely working (unless I am doing something wrong). If you refer to the photo above on this thread you will see a circuit track on the bottom middle of the layout photo. That one is tied in with the semaphore furthest to the right. There is also a circuit track tied in with the semaphore on the left (that is the circuit track to the left of the left most semaphore). If I push the trigger on the circuit track to the left of the semaphore - the semaphore will make an electrical buzzing sound. But the semaphore lever will not move (it does move up and down when I manually move the semaphore switch). If I push the trigger on the circuit track located on the bottom of the layout photo - it will trigger the semaphore on the right (and the semaphore actually moves. The other circuit tracks do not seem to trigger anything....

I am wondering if I should replace all circuit tracks and the 8940 semaphores....I just hate to do that unless I have to...

Right now a train can go clockwise on the layout but will stop at the semaphore on the left. When I move the lever on the semaphore itself - it will continue to go around the circle until it reaches it again (and then I repeat). I am sure this was wired with automatic action in mind but still trying to figure out my next steps.

Thanks! -Scott-

More
15 years 4 hours ago #4071 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Can someone help me with wiring?
Hey Scott, sorry to hear your still having rouble with it... I would recomend that you NOT replace all the circuit tracks to hastily. For the cost of what all those pieces will cost you, you could ship this layout to a guy like me and i'll figure out whats wrong with the switches. Also, replacing the parts will not solve a wiring problem, if there is one.

I build a much larger version of Marklins train control with the semiphores on my last layout. So i know how that whole setup is supposed to work, but trying to talk you through it over the net is impossible. Send me a email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and i'll give you my phone number. We may be able to arrange a time to talk on the phone, and i can help you check a few things and figure out whats wrong.

But don't replace the track till you know the problem is with them.

Tony B..
Wasatch Z Club

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds